Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

09 Sub Removal

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
I just removed and disassembled my sub. First let me say the removal of the cover was a PITA!
Here goes:
See the little pink clips in the pic? those are what you have to fight off
0918081932a.jpg

First grab the bottom mount (RED BOX)cover on both sides and pull, this one is easy

Next grab the each side of the bottom of the cover (BLUE BOXES) pull until you feel the clips pop out

Now grab the passenger side and top (GREEN BOXES) This is the real hard one, you gotta tug on these pretty hard, when you are pulling the middle you need to pull towards the front of the truck and out to the passenger side.

You should be able to grab the driver side and top (YELLOW BOXES) and the rest of the cover should come off completely

0918081932boxes.jpg

There are 4 10mm bolts holding the assembly to the rear wall, they should be easily visible without the cover on, and don't forget the wire harness plugged into the bottom.

To disassemble the enclosure after it has been removed you need a torx T20 and T15, #2 Phillips, and a small Flathead

Its a sealed enclosure with a 6in sub-
0918081957.jpg

There are 3 LED's you will notice with the cover off, they can be pried out of their clips and this is a pic of the in various states of disassembley
0918082012.jpg

Here is the inside of the amp (just cause i like to take things apart:biggrin:)

0918082016.jpg

There are holes that would need to be covered. (sorry its side ways i cant figure out how to turn it lol)

0920080839.jpg

The pics are from a cameraphone so sorry if they arent that great. Any questions let me know:top:

Last edited:

NixXR462

Reaction score
Its nice that Toyota put a sub in the new access cabs but I think they could have did better than putting a flux capacitor for a box in it. You replacing the sub in it or just didnt like it.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
You replacing the sub in it or just didnt like it.

Both, its going back in until I get some subs (minus 4 of those freaking clipz:top:).

Probably gonna get 2 kicker solos S8L7, hopefuly start a box sometime next month

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
glad to see you finally picked up an X.

still hate the rear sub design.:thumpdown:

xrun

Reaction score
Thanx for this bro, I've been trying to get mine off for awhile now.

Vave you removed the speaker from it's mounts? Can an aftermarket one fit there? I guess I'll try this wekend to find out.

x-stealth

Reaction score
Do all new tacoma access cabs come with this or just the XR?

wshsbears

Reaction score
sweet deal! next task is changing the speakers in the ceiling and mounting speakers in the rear door panels like the 05-08 models. i know the door panels are the same as far as the shape and mounting for the surround, i wonder what the sheet metal is like in the doors though.. u could probably get some xtreme creations and make it so u have 6 mids, 4 tweets, 2 subs, 2 amps, a head unit and u'll have an awesome audio set-up. just wondering how they managed to mount speakers in the ceiling without making a huge bulge in it and how well they'll actually sound if replaced with a shallow mount door speaker.

lemme know when u've experimented and taken apart this part of ur X too :top:

Helimx

"Dutch Rudder Master"
Reaction score
not sure stealth, but i think just the xrunner. and if the others do, i bet the "box" is different since it has an X on it.

sweet deal! next task is changing the speakers in the ceiling and mounting speakers in the rear door panels like the 05-08 models. i know the door panels are the same as far as the shape and mounting for the surround, i wonder what the sheet metal is like in the doors though.. u could probably get some xtreme creations and make it so u have 6 mids, 4 tweets, 2 subs, 2 amps, a head unit and u'll have an awesome audio set-up. just wondering how they managed to mount speakers in the ceiling without making a huge bulge in it and how well they'll actually sound if replaced with a shallow mount door speaker.

my fj has speakers in the ceiling too. they're pretty "slim", but i think they just put the headliner in "lower". so i'd assume the tacomas are the same.
and even with the headliner out, you can barely hear anything coming from the speakers. I was going to put aftermarket speakers in, but my stereo dude told me it's a waste. he said if you're gonna spend the money, don't mount them there. lol

Last edited:

Xer0 SiN

Reaction score
what chief?? that faka slam or what?? (for the non pidgeon=yes excuse me...does that subwoofer sound good when you turn the volume up??) LOL

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score

lol thanks make me the ginnie pig with an 09!, Im gonna order head unit this month (dnx8120) then subs next month hopefuly, then replace speakers after that. I do want to see what is behind the headliner, maybe Ill get some sounddeadinging stuff and do that in a couple of weeks....

what chief?? that faka slam or what?? (for the non pidgeon=yes excuse me...does that subwoofer sound good when you turn the volume up??) LOL

I have no idea what you just said. If you are asking if the stock sub sounds good I would have to say it depends what you are used to. I have 2 kicker S10L5 solo barics in my sonoma pushing 850 watts together. So its not enough bass for what Im used to. The whole system in the 09 sounds good, just not loud enough all together. Plus I like building systems:biggrin:

Last edited:

NixXR462

Reaction score
Do all new tacoma access cabs come with this or just the XR?
A guy at my work has an 09 pre runner and it came with the sub box. It doesn't even have fog lights so I'd guess any model access cab will have it.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
ketchup: the stock sub that comes with the new 09' are alright. if you had any aftermarket sub before the stocks just aren't enough...:frown: IMO

07SWB

Reaction score
not all access cab 09's have the sub in them. You have to get the JBL system to get the sub/amp.

You can upgrade to any system in pretty much any truck.. toyota knows what they are going. Some people want a nice stereo but dont feel the need to have fog lights..

xrBRUTUS

Reaction score
sweeeet. Thank you for this. I was wondering about pulling that POS out. Mine will be next.

2012TxNinja

Reaction score
Dude, im taking my sub out too. At first, I couldnt even tell it was on or working even with the bass up. Not after a month and the sub conditioning, I feel a slight thump. Im thinking about access door speakers too but definitly a pair of subs, maybe a custom box between the seats. OR... anyone ever use the slim under the seat subs???

Top Bottom