Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1GR-FE Factory Block - Boost Limits

Jap

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just calling out to see if anyone has found the limit of the factory block?

I'm hearing 'stories' from various people, but want to ask you people as well.

I'm running 7 psi out of my TRD blower right now, want to take it to 10 and give it a good tune.

What boost are you guys running without problems?
Thanks in advance! :rock:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Its the tune that matters, it must be rock solid.

Ive run a decent amount of nitrous through the stock engine at 9-10 PSI and its still running...

Murderface

Reaction score
Well I'd say if u can get the X-1 hooked up to ur truck Since it's a 2009 then u can up the boost from where u now are. Reason being is to go above 8psi ur gonna need to run an APR 7th injector to cool the boost charge and ur probably gonna need to run the 668cc E85 injectors as well. Then ur gonna need the APR 2.7" pulley and possibly the NST overdrive pulley for maximum boost. I don't think it's possible to run the 7th inj and 668cc inj without an X-1.

The X-1 is plug and play but only for model years 2005-08. If u want to use it ur gonna have to hardwire that bitch.

Good luck

There have been a few members who have found the boost limit on their own motors. Ntinhri has consistently ran 11-13 psi and has 100k miles on his TRD boosted XRunner. Each motor is different and not all will be able to handle 13 psi.

rich017

Reaction score
The way I see it, If you have the money then push the boost but make sure you have a rock solid tune. But be prepared and have the money to re-build the engine in case you do blow her up. We have had a few blown motors here in the last month or so.

You will need the APR X-1, bigger injectors, and some more stuff. The boosted peeps will chime in about that though. It's not going to be cheap.

ntinhri

Reaction score
Its all about ur tune and oil level bud. I think what's saved me is, gadget!(Great tuner!), x-1 (engine gaurdian), I always check my oil and run a lil extra, and luck. I've dogged the shit out of my truck. And she keeps on producing.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Its important to note that 95% of engines that have blown are due to tune or end user related issues.

When your more fragile stock components are under a high stress situation (lots of boost/nitrous/high revs/heat/etc..) you have no room for error. Just a little bit of knock does a lot of damage when you start getting up into those power levels on stock internals.

Cant stress the tune enough, change your oil frequently, and pay attention.

Murderface

Reaction score
hey there. lol

What he said about the oil is a MUST!! I would check it every week once boosted.

Dude it is so true about the oil level. A week before I changed mine it was right at the hi mark, then when I pulled the plug and emptied the filter I barely had over 4 qts:thumpdown: I drained it when the engine was hot so expected to see closer to 5 qts then just a hair over 4 qts.

I know mine doesn't burn excessive amounts of oil. Check ur oil level CONSTANTLY!!!!

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
8 should be good!!

Do not do this, unless you really do want to buy a new motor.

5 qts should suffice with everything stock. If you have added an oil cooler you will just have to check the stick. Keep it full or just past full, but do not go crazy.

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
Check ur oil level CONSTANTLY!!!

Yes please do this or u will end up like me. No boost and a blown motor :(. But don't worry I'll be back stronger then b4 after all this!!!!

SicilianMobster

Reaction score
Check ur oil level CONSTANTLY!!!

Yes please do this or u will end up like me. No boost and a blown motor :(. But don't worry I'll be back stronger then b4 after all this!!!!
sorry to thread but u blew it because u had too much oil?

Grumpy

Reaction score
Nah....he had too much fun instead :laugh:

Jap

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys!

As far as engine management goes, I have a Chiptorque Xede wired in, it came with a 7psi tune, I took it to my tuner and he said its extremely safe.
So going from that step onward I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right things before I make an overdrive pulley for the crank.
By all means, please keep the comments coming!
The oiling issue seems to be a common one, I do check mine every week and the level is as stable as a rock. I guess on that point, also, what oil are guys running with success?

Thanks a heap!

Jap

Top Bottom