Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2014 4Runner dvvti to Tacoma engine swap

Formidable

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Limited with full time AWD. It has the DVVTI engine. I was expecting the TRD supercharger to be released years ago... which ended up being a tremendous disappointment. I am a huge fan of URD. Had a number of URD products on my 2000 4Runner as well as my 2007 FJ. I am hopeful they will release their supercharger as well as their UCON application for this engine... It just seems like it's taking awhile to get things going and I've heard that the DVVTI engine will be more prone to develop problems with FI... So I'm wondering if it would be possible to do an engine and ECU swap. I would like to retain my AWD, the same push button hi/low functions that it has now, as well as the same optitron gauge cluster. Is this possible with a 2013 or 2014 Tacoma engine and ECU? Or do I need to look at an 09 FJ or 09 4Runner? From what I understand the only other full time AWD is the FJ with manual transmission and fourth gen limited 4runners. I've considered going with a custom turbo but tuning will be a problem. No one out there offers a reliable plug and play unit.

I know there are long tubes and spec u exhaust available... I just don't want to spend money on those right now if I'm considering an engine swap. I just want to know if it can be done.

Gadget

Reaction score
I would not do an engine swap. Chances are that you will never be able to pass an emissions test with it. THe sub systems are so integrated that you will pull your hair out trying to get things to work correctly.

If you are that set on having a supercharger, just trade it in on an older truck or wait for a while longer.

G

Formidable

Reaction score
I would not do an engine swap. Chances are that you will never be able to pass an emissions test with it. THe sub systems are so integrated that you will pull your hair out trying to get things to work correctly.

If you are that set on having a supercharger, just trade it in on an older truck or wait for a while longer.

G

Thanks for the response Gadget. Sounds like I would sacrifice a lot of other functions if I went this route. Will continue to wait for your system.

Doublld

Reaction score
maybe you could just swap heads and ecu? from earlier 4runner with single

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Heads aren't the problem though. It is the lower end.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, yes they do.

I remember seeing stuff years ago. Even if nothing is on a shelf anywhere, just send in a piston to the manufacturer of choice, rods likewise, and you'll get your parts. Bearings and head gaskets the same. It can all be done. Just depends if you want it or not.

XTINCT_yota

Reaction score
I'm still waiting on the supercharger system to come out for my 14 XR. Don't worry man, we're in the same boat lol

Top Bottom