Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2JZ-GTE?

Gadget

Reaction score
hmm that sucks. did they have custom sleeves?

I do not know.

I will be they were running alcohol and just filled the whole block with concrete.

The problem is the block's bottom end was giving out.

G

FN5.7

Reaction score
so im not trying to sound uneducated but wouldnt any more hp over 600ish be a bit pointless? i mean at a certain point the wheels are just going to spin out.

and if you can build the gr motor to 600 hp as a safe DD then that seems like it would be the best option. any swap is going to be a money pit and a ton of modding where as a sleeved and built TT gr would be badass and alot less modding.

Red_Hott

Reaction score
You will spend a ton more money building a 1 gr and doing a custom twin Turbo setup on it....it would be a lot cheaper to do just a motor swap...whether that be a a 2jz or a ls1....2jz is a lot more challenging but not impossible and would be a solid platform to build a powerhouse if that is what the person is after

Xcandyman

Reaction score
hmmmm. One might pop up sooner or later, but why wait, dive in and do it your self.

I think I will. Might take time, but that is why you buy a daily when you plan on building a monster.

Thinking 2jz T56 and ford rear. Got lucky the pull a part near me has most of this in stock. I can at least get all the shells cheap and rebuild them with much less invested.

so im not trying to sound uneducated but wouldnt any more hp over 600ish be a bit pointless? i mean at a certain point the wheels are just going to spin out.

I plan on some spinning. it will never hook and go. But with the right suspension and weight transfer I should be able to get enough traction to get me down the strip with a decent time. I plan on slicks for the track.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
You will spend a ton more money building a 1 gr and doing a custom twin Turbo setup on it....it would be a lot cheaper to do just a motor swap...whether that be a a 2jz or a ls1....2jz is a lot more challenging but not impossible and would be a solid platform to build a powerhouse if that is what the person is after

The debate of prices can go on forever, without someone throwing numbers out there. Two main factors, are how much you get the components to swap for, and if you have to pay someone to do your swap or not...

Average quote for 2jz turn key is $12k.

theduck911

Reaction score
Definitely doable, like all things it just takes some $$$ and then some more $$$.

Which motor to go with I think is a totally based on your own opinion because either one is going to cost a lot of $$ to built properly all depends what kind of challenge you want to have!

BluDemon

Reaction score
get an import v161? im gonna check into it cause there are a few of those jdm importers around here. if cheap enough, this may be the answer to the best replacement for the xr's troublesome tranny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_V_transmission
Let me know what you find as far as pricing for that tranny. Its funny even when I talked to tranny distributors they didn't even know what I was talking about until having to take them to school....bwahahahaha Afterwards it was the same thing either very expensive or not available. So I'll be very interested in what you find. The cheapest I've been able to the golden nugget w/o worrying about it coming out of a totaled supra: -( was $5400

BadAzzXrunR

Reaction score
Average quote for 2jz turn key is $12k.

Torspd...who is doing these "turn key" swaps? I would seriously like to do the 2jz swap. I need to find a shop where I can drop my truck off, hand them a check, and pick it up when it's done, tuned, and ready to go. I like the end result of the 2jz swap the Supratrucks.com did with that S-runner. I want the same thing in my X

Toon714

Reaction score
Many shops can do the swap.
I got qutoed 16k when I was asking around houston.

BadAzzXrunR

Reaction score

I'll have to check around here in PA and see who would be willing to take it on and what price they are lookin at. I have been trying for a while to sell my truck, but everbody wants something for nothing. besides, I own it and it has very low milage. So...if I cant get what i am asking i might as well keep the thing, make it really sick, and drive the hell out of it for another couple years.

Clifford

because race truck
Reaction score
if you pay more then 10k for a turnkey swap you are getting ripped off.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Torspd...who is doing these "turn key" swaps? I would seriously like to do the 2jz swap. I need to find a shop where I can drop my truck off, hand them a check, and pick it up when it's done, tuned, and ready to go. I like the end result of the 2jz swap the Supratrucks.com did with that S-runner. I want the same thing in my X

Boosted Logic is one of them. As well as any shop that has good custom fabbing skills.

bigdreams

Reaction score
I called a shop out here in Savannah, GA about doing a TT setup and rebuilding the engine. They said it'd be about $6-10k just for that. Then there's the T56 tranny swap and a new rear axle. So total cost for that build is about $16k tops. That might happen for me when I do a second deployment. This upcoming deployment in Jan, I plan on paying off my wife's van, my student loan, our credit card, and some more of my X (only owe another $14k). So by the time I go on a second deployment, I shouldn't have any debt so I'll try to go TT on the 1GR block. Hopefully it'll also be reliable. Lol

blu xr

Reaction score
have a friend who lives in houston...im near the dfw are.

he got me a quote for the 2jz converted to big single turbo (750-800 hp) & the coveted 6spd tranny.
it was around $21-22k but also included the tt swap on brakes rear end etc.

Clifford

because race truck
Reaction score
let me change what I said, if you pay more then 10k for a turn key with stock motor and r154 trans, you are paying to much. If you happen to find a v160, tack on another 4k at minimum. If you get the v161, well that's all what you can work out with the importer, but usually cheaper and just as strong.

Toon714

Reaction score
have a friend who lives in houston...im near the dfw are.

he got me a quote for the 2jz converted to big single turbo (750-800 hp) & the coveted 6spd tranny.
it was around $21-22k but also included the tt swap on brakes rear end etc.

damn nice. not bad of a price since its gonna be a built 2jz too.
which shop was this that quoted for u?

theres only a few in mind that can do the 2jz swap in houston.
that will do a legit job.

rexrunner

Reaction score
Do a ls1. Cheaper. Parts are everywhere. You get the famous t56 and its bad ass. You can build and turbo for cheaper then the 2j

IMAG0541.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom