4x4 rear leafs

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by o0opackersfano0o, Aug 10, 2016.

1. o0opackersfano0o

o0opackersfano0o Active Member

Been searching around the forum about lowering the x with 4x4 rear leafs. Just wondering who has actually done it and how much it lowered it. Some people say 2"/1"/.25". I was thinking about trying them out and maybe removing a leaf as well. Just want everyone's opinion. Thanks.

2. AZ Sun Lover

AZ Sun Lover Member

Newer Pre-runners & 4x4's have a new 3 leafs plus and over load spring and or 4 leaf packs. The newer 4 leaf packs are stiffer then the older 3 leaf packs and just a bit stiffer then X-runner 3 leaf packs. Per my butt Dyno but my butt Dyno is way over the hill. I have 2014 4x4 rear leafs on mine. The amount of drop changes from truck to truck because the older springs will sag over time & mileage.
    I got right at 2" of drop from the stock extra cab rear springs. X-runners will get right at an 1" of drop.

AZ

3. fishsticks

fishsticks Because fast lifted truck.

In my experience, the main leaf of every used 4x4 rear pack I've seen is bent at least slightly right behind the front eye. There's a reason there was a recall on them. I wouldn't put those on my truck.

4. o0opackersfano0o

o0opackersfano0o Active Member

I work for toyota and we have just been tossing all the old leafs from the recall. And some are even really new. I'm gonna wait on a newer set to come through or a set with no rust and do some experimenting with them.

5. whippersnapper02

I'd invest in quality stuff over the OEM junk.

6. AZ Sun Lover

AZ Sun Lover Member

Hmm,
    I would be interested in a set of newer 3 leafs. But the shipping might kill any deal.

Our truck rides pretty damn stiff and we have a metal tool cross box mounted in the bed. We use it to mount our MTB's and to toss in muddy riding gear. Also carries the truck cover.

AZ

7. Clunkydiamond

Clunkydiamond New Member

I have some questions about this, not to hijack your thread, but why would a 4x4 leaf lower our trucks? And would it also raise our load capacity? I want lower the truck but my rear leafs feel very loose me at 180lbs and a friend at 200lbs can jump on it and hit the bump stops at stock height

8. blackx-runner

blackx-runner "White Flash"

I think what happens is 4x4 leafs don't have as much of an arch to them. On 4x4 trucks the axle is mounted underneath the leafs so that is why the trucks sit higher. When you use the flatter 4x4 leaf springs and mount the axle above them you end up with a little bit of a drop.

9. AZ Sun Lover

AZ Sun Lover Member

Well said!

AZ

10. Clunkydiamond

Clunkydiamond New Member

Gotcha, but will the 4x4 leafs also help with load capacity?

11. imom

imom Member

Anyone else use the 4 leaf packs? Curious the outcome on regular cabs.

12. MaK10-XRnR

MaK10-XRnR Member

I have a set of 4wd springs that have been sitting in my garage for years now. When removed from the original truck to replace with OME lift springs, they only had about 12k miles. Is there an actual benefit to these over my 62k mile stock X-runner springs? What exactly does swapping in 4wd springs do?