Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

AFE Intake/Check Engine Light

161R

I have installed and AFE Magnum Force intake. Its feels real good. Only one problem since I've installed. The check engine Light keeps coming on. Has anyone encountered this with other intakes? Is it just AFE? Anyone got an idea to the solution? I tried putting back the stock intake, and the Check Engine Light went away. Tried the AFE back on, and the light came back. Is it just the AFE or does this problem come up with other intakes?

Spyder327

Reaction score
I have installed and AFE Magnum Force intake. Its feels real good. Only one problem since I've installed. The check engine Light keeps coming on. Has anyone encountered this with other intakes? Is it just AFE? Anyone got an idea to the solution? I tried putting back the stock intake, and the Check Engine Light went away. Tried the AFE back on, and the light came back. Is it just the AFE or does this problem come up with other intakes?

What code is it throwing?

161R

Don't know yet. Didn't get to take it to the dealership. Will an intake Void the warranty?

flyinbryan

Reaction score

no problems with my injen intake

ur like the 3rd person to say this about that intake

wshsbears

Reaction score
i made my own intake with the pieces u can connect from pep boys. at first it throws a cel for like 5 seconds, then the comp adjusts and accepts it. not sure what ur issue could be. make sure the MAF plug is snug and doesn't have an opening at the seal.

161R

Well, the maf plug has that o-ring thing, and it fits real snug. i've tightened all the clamps real good and everything. i'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow. hopefully there's a good reason, and not the intake being junk or something. Anyone know about the warranty thing and intakes? Will the intake void the warranty?

XRunninTaco

Reaction score
i got a K&N ... no problems here ... and about warranty on intake ... dealer has to prove that it caused the problem ... if so ... warranty is void ... thats what spyder and some other people told me :top:

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Fist i have heard of an intake (aftermarket one for the X) causing the cel. I have a custom setup and ran in to a couple of problems with the mas getting funny readings and causeing stall out problems but it still didn't throw a cel? Let us know what code you have and the solution for it :top:

dermaestro

Reaction score
Might be worth unplugging the battery for 1/2 hour or so and then reconnect. If CEL comes on then, then I'd go to the dealership.

Spyder327

Reaction score
Well obviously your intake is causing the problem, so i dont see the point in taking it to the dealer. Go to checker or autozone and have them read the code..

Stevenredx

Reaction score
This should be a given but you may want to make sure your not installing the MAF backwards :top:

boneman840

Reaction score
I have the AFE intake and have had zero problems.You may have just overlooked something.Make sure you have the vac hose on the back hooked up.:top:

X-Rizzo

Reaction score
Well obviously your intake is causing the problem, so i dont see the point in taking it to the dealer. Go to checker or autozone and have them read the code..
:top:What he said. Once we have a code, we can provide a further diagnostic for you. It's most likely something simple though. Don't worry about it.

Also, have you tried turning it off manually? To do that, turn the truck off, hold down the odometer button and the the key to the "On" position. Keep holding the odometer button until the dashes dissapear on the screen. See if it comes back then.:top:

Spyder327

Reaction score
:top:What he said. Once we have a code, we can provide a further diagnostic for you. It's most likely something simple though. Don't worry about it.

Also, have you tried turning it off manually? To do that, turn the truck off, hold down the odometer button and the the key to the "On" position. Keep holding the odometer button until the dashes dissapear on the screen. See if it comes back then.:top:

Rizzo your thinking the maintenance required light, you cant reset a CEL like that.

Spyder327

Reaction score
lol its all good, the best thing he can do is get the code read, it's most likely something relating to the MAF sensor i would think.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
How long tell the light came on? Sometimes excess oil from the filter can plug up the MAF sensor and throw a code. Take the MAF out and examine it for crap on it. If there is •XR•XR•XR•XR on it I just clean it with some diluted alcohol and a Q-Tip. It will take a few engine starts tell the computer does a check and turns the light off.

671x-runner

Reaction score
whats up bro

Eh, whats up 161R brother, I cant wait to come back so I can drive that truck. I still think mine is faster :eviltongue: I hope you get that thing fixed man! See, everyone is sayin the same stuff i told you. ha ha :biggrin:

Xacto

Reaction score
im sorry but i had to point out "magnum" and "feels real good" lmfao

Last edited:

671x-runner

Reaction score
I have installed an AFE Magnum Force condom. Its feels real good. Only one problem since I've installed. The check pen1s Light keeps coming on. Has anyone encountered this with other condoms? Is it just AFE? Anyone got an idea to the solution? I tried putting back the stock condom, and the Check Pen1s Light went away. Tried the AFE back on, and the light came back. Is it just the AFE or does this problem come up with other condoms?
im sorry but i had to, especially after i read "magnum" and "feels real good" lmfao

MAN THATS F* UP MAN NOBODY WANNA KNOW ABOUT THAT DUDE KEEP THAT SH*T TO YOUR SELF MAN . ITS KINDA GAY
:motz: Leave 161R alone

Top Bottom