Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Air Injection Removal

Superloki24

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get some insight/thoughts on the removal of my air injection system on my 2014 X.

So here is what I was planning:

I want to put a TRD S/C on the truck and I was planning on making a jump harness to pair my harness with a UCON. Essentially I would be swapping out my ECU with one from an '07 X and wiring up the jump harness with an extra '07 harness and '13 ECU connector. I know the '07 ECU wouldn't have any connections to deal with the air injection so do you think that I could just get rid of the entire air injection system if I started running the truck with the '07 ECU?

Would there be any CEL's that would pop up?

This will determine if I wait out and buy the URD Spec-U headers for the '12+ or just buy the '05 - '11 headers. I really don't feel like having to block off the '12+ headers if I end up removing the air injection system when I put the UCON and S/C on.

Gadget

Reaction score
The URD Spec-U headers for the 2012+ are done and have been sent off for ceramic coating. So we should have them back between 1-12 months.....

D8C4FA67-B2B2-4AEB-B6AA-A03F48370B4F_zpstu9wfl1e.jpg

For the UCON, we have a universal version now. This will allow the UCON to be installed in most anything with a lot of cutting and splicing. It will be released first for the 2005-2006 Tundra V8 (pictured). We did it that way because there is no room in the dash to do it normally.

We are going to reconfigure the two connectors from the UCON with different color wires so you will know what wire is what for when you are doing your cutting and splicing.

G

Superloki24

Reaction score
That looks good Gadget. But I have this one question then....If I get the Spec-U headers and the Spec-U exhaust I will no longer have any cats within the exhaust track, so what would be the point of injection air into the exhaust?

Assuming that that whole purpose of the air injection is to pump air into the catalytic converters to get them up to optimum temperature quicker.

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
The air injection would be pointless with the spec u exhaust. I'm running essentially the same setup just not as nice, (Doug thorley long tubes and Doug thorley pipe bomb) so no cats on a 2012 prerunner. Air injection comes on and pumps air into the exhaust but it serves no purpose or function anymore.

Question: where do you live? And would you have to smog it? In California it will not pass smog with an 07 ecu, nor would it pass the visual if you removed the actual switching valves and pump. (And I mean it won't pass smog in Cali with the 07 ecu, because there's a new smog machine with something called a DAD, "Data Acquisition Device" and it will be able to tell you don't have the right ecu, so if your area uses this same thing... Beware.)

Last thing... What else are you planning on doing to it that you want the ucon? I run the trd sc with 2.55 urd pulley and no ucon, no Apr x1, no aem, no haltech. I'm running a split second additional injector controller and the factory ecu with TRD reflash... I had a unichip but actually removed it.... Don't get me wrong. I REALLY want a ucon or haltech, but I have it running decently for now until I can get a UCON or haltech ecu that will plug in or at least can be spliced into my unichip harness (plus I want the exhaust timing gears with the ucon) just food for thought ;)

Top Bottom