AMD or Intel?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Discussions' started by 2006nightrider, Dec 15, 2009.

?

Which processor should I go with?

Poll closed Feb 28, 2010.
  1. Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Processor

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. AMD Phenom II X4 Quad-Core Processor

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Other - please specify

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. 2006nightrider

2006nightrider Active Member

Thinking about either buying a new desktop, or building one.

The only thing that I'm stuck on right now is whether or not to go with an Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Processor or AMD Phenom II X4 Quad-Core Processor. I will be using my computer for entertainment, work, and slight gaming purposes.

Both processors have their pros and cons...I'm just trying to figure out what will be the 'better' of the 2 come next year.

Input on which one and why would be helpful.

EDIT: Poll added

#1 2006nightrider, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  2. BlueTaco

BlueTaco New Member

AMD all the way! Honestly, since I switched to them about 7 years ago, I've never had anything else in my computers. Only downside I can find to them is that they run pretty hot, but that's with their desktop models, my AMD laptop doesn't run hot at all, well, comparatively.

3. Shanes56

Shanes56 New Member

I am running the Phenom in my desktop and it is great, I also never went back to intel after 2 comps ago, I fried two processors in college with gaming (I think) got the original AMD II and never had an issue after that

4. TRD-X

TRD-X Active Member

David I have two laptops with AMD X2 and X4 they be the best!!:top:

5. 2006nightrider

I figured I could always get a liquid cooling system like some other members on here:dontknow:.

6. BlueTaco

BlueTaco New Member

lol i dunno how that'd work on a laptop...but to me it's overkill for a desktop PC. I have a nice air cooled heatsink that rivals some watercooling setups. cost me about $60 for the heatsink and fan.

7. TRD-X

TRD-X Active Member

You think about a laptop with dock? This is what I got and I like it.:top:

Dock.PNG

8. Yardie

Yardie "The Jamaican"

AMD :rock:. I recommend toyota long life anti-freeze for said comp setup.

9. X-Pablo

X-Pablo Member

10. Helimx

Helimx "Dutch Rudder Master"

insert incoherent techi jargon here>>>>>>>>>>"............................................"

11. the blue taco runner

the blue taco runner "Livin It Up"

AMD has GREAT processors. Dont get me wrong, Intell's are good, but AMD's are better.

12. BlueTaco

BlueTaco New Member

Benchmark smenchmark! Lol if it does what you want it to do, then its just fine.

13. NoKz

NoKz New Member

5 years ago. Intel has far surpassed AMD and they'll continue to play catch up with Intel until they dump a crapload of money into R&D.

AMD's processors are good, but the quality of Intel's are far superior.

14. X-Pablo

X-Pablo Member

:top: Spot On! as the British say.
    i have never had an issue with an Intel CPU, but have with AMD.

but whatever floats your boat, people could go on and on about Intel vs AMD, just like Pepsi vs Coke and many other comparisons of different items, I suggest you buy what you want, there is no final answer to this, until you make the purchase.

15. XrunnIT

XrunnIT Active Member

ohhhhh... now you done it... now you have fudged the bucket and told me too many words to know.

You are better off doing an Intel i7 chip. Runs cooler, and way more powerful. You can OC those bitches like no tomorrow. Would be like adding an extra 8psi of boost on your super... i mean on your turb.... oh wait.. no more boost for you. :laugh:

(see what i did there?)

16. RJDoute

RJDoute "My Salami Nipples Ooze Milk"

If you're going all out, the Intel i7 is hands down the best CPU out there right now. That being said, if you don't want to spend 300 bones on a processor alone, I would go AMD.

The only Intel processor I would take is the i7, that things a monster and AMD doesn't have anything that competes with it. Yet.

17. 5H4D0WD347H

5H4D0WD347H New Member

I would wait a few months and go Intel Core I7 on the new 32nm architecture or buy up old 45nm chips.

The i7 platform (X58 chipset) is very pricey to jump into at this point in time.

Or you can spend a few extra bucks and get a pick of the litter Xeon 3520 (pretty much a well selected i7).

If your not looking to spend a lot you can OC the hell out of a Quad Core Q66 and the platform is affordable.

#17 5H4D0WD347H, Dec 15, 2009
  18. nine9six

nine9six Active Member

This. QFT. :top:

19. 5H4D0WD347H

5H4D0WD347H New Member

What about Q6600!? Or the Xeon W3520!?

Come on now... I know you dont mean that.

roflmao :laugh:

#19 5H4D0WD347H, Dec 15, 2009
  20. 2006nightrider

That's what I'm afraid of...I've read some articles about what AMD is going to be doing come 2010, and I don't want to regret getting an Intel.
    If I am going to go with Intel, it would be the I7 Core (want to be running no less then 3.0 GHz)...especially since I will be running Windows 7 64-bit. And whether I buy one, or build one, I'm looking for a platform that will have at LEAST 6-8 GB (maybe upgradeable to 12-16 GB) of RAM. I haven't decided on whether or not I want more then that, I think I should be fine with 6-8 GB unless I really start gaming on it.