Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I will start by posting this...an air to water intercooler!??!?!??! C'mon??? Really???? Its beyond me why they did that. Biggest weak link right there, other then the intake being under the truck, sucking up water, and hydraulically locking your engine...Some of us know how that goes...

And of course, you need an X-1...

If you want serious bang for your buck, pick up a used mk1...maxed out with the 75mm pulley and 1k 7th, only ran me a hair over 3k...Some guy dynoed with the exact mods and boost #'s as my truck, made like 355whp and 350lbft, running pig rich...cant complain about that. :top:

No one has done a 4 link....yet...:wink:

i wanna see how my truck feels at this drift event on Sunday, that will probably determine my next course of action in terms of suspension.

Also, lol @ thread tags...

Last edited:

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I will start by posting this...an air to water intercooler!??!?!??! C'mon??? Really???? Its beyond me why they did that. Biggest weak link right there, other then the intake being under the truck, sucking up water, and hydraulically locking your engine...Some of us know how that goes...

And of course, you need an X-1...

Your knocking the air to water intercooler, and then suggesting the MKI that also uses an air to water intercooler??
Also why do you assume the intake is under the truck? I can assure you that the guy that designed the system is much much smarter than that.
I'm just wondering how everyone seems to know all the flaws in the system without ever even seeing the thing installed and operational. I haven't either, but I'm not going to be quick to judge a system I know absolutely nothing about.

The X-1 thing, now that is the million dollar question.

thread cleaned. If you guys want to try and teach X-roller how important a proper suspension setup is go do it somewhere else... This is a thread to discuss the APR turbo.

Last edited:

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Your knocking the air to water intercooler, and then suggesting the MKI that also uses an air to water intercooler??
Also why do you assume the intake is under the truck? I can assure you that the guy that designed the system is much much smarter than that.
I'm just wondering how everyone seems to know all the flaws in the system without ever even seeing the thing installed and operational. I haven't either, but I'm not going to be quick to judge a system I know absolutely nothing about.

The X-1 thing, now that is the million dollar question.

MK1 isn't putting out 470hp....Im just concerned about the intake temps with that amount assisted breathing....:top: but, with that much charge piping running back to the cab, on second thought, it probably cools down dramatically over that distance..:dontknow:

And i will give you that on the intake, but judging by the pics, i see no intake under the hood, or any kind of intake coming off the front of the snail when its mounted under the truck.:hmmmm2:

Gadget

Reaction score
That intercooler core is very much the same as we used on the Mk1 system. It really does a very good job.

I suspect they are using a TRD radiator with it which is better than what we used so overall it should work just a hair better.

The downside is that once you get that water hot it needs to cool off a for a little while, but you are likely to run out of road before that will happen.

The data I collected showed the Mk1 was able to keep the temp to under 20* over ambient with the C38-71 for a pull or two then it needed to cool down.

You can also plumb in an ice water tank to get the efficiency over 100% like the drag racers do.

I bet the reason they went that way is that it started as a twin charge concept to push air into a TRD and it is simple to tap into the existing intercooling system and pump that is already there.

G

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
That intercooler core is very much the same as we used on the Mk1 system. It really does a very good job.

I suspect they are using a TRD radiator with it which is better than what we used so overall it should work just a hair better.

The downside is that once you get that water hot it needs to cool off a for a little while, but you are likely to run out of road before that will happen.

The data I collected showed the Mk1 was able to keep the temp to under 20* over ambient with the C38-71 for a pull or two then it needed to cool down.

You can also plumb in an ice water tank to get the efficiency over 100% like the drag racers do.

I bet the reason they went that way is that it started as a twin charge concept to push air into a TRD and it is simple to tap into the existing intercooling system and pump that is already there.

G

when you say under 20*'s over ambient? Your comparing the reading off of what? last i checked the IAT/MAF on MK1 would be on the intake side of the S/C... :hmmmm2:

EDIT, i'm assuming this testing was done with the 85mm stock pulley, no?

Double edit....just realized your talking about the bigger c38 blower...so 80mm stock pully, if i recal.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Correct. Air to water intercoolers are proven. By this design, it fits perfectly in that area over the wheel well. Keep in mind that there is a good straight section of tubing before the MAF sensor. I had many a turbulence problems with my old setup. I promise you, the x-1 and turbulence do not mix. Thus also, take note of where the BOV is. Any oscillations caused by air being vented, should be quite smooth again by the time it makes it to the MAF sensor.

Plus, remember that the more bends in tubing, the more restriction. So minus the necessary bends, and leaving room for all of the cooling items for the TRD s/c, I can tell that was the most practical choice. All things considered. Plus it is a huge one.

Add to that, TRD s/c is water cooled as well. Although comparablly smaller. Still does a good job in its own right.

I guess they never showed the intake filter location, just because they either didn't want to, or want to make people ask that question. Lol.

Trust me, it is up high like mine used to be.

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
when you say under 20*'s over ambient? Your comparing the reading off of what? last i checked the IAT/MAF on MK1 would be on the intake side of the S/C... :hmmmm2:

EDIT, i'm assuming this testing was done with the 85mm stock pulley, no?

Double edit....just realized your talking about the bigger c38 blower...so 80mm stock pully, if i recal.

I used a termocoupler logging device. I can take in 4 data points at one time. Same setup Quantum was using on their hydrogen conversion project.

One probe in the air filter, One in the compressor discharge port, one in the throttle body inlet, and one in the intercooler water tank.

I ran that test in Cali the day before the big dyno shoot out at Thorley. I had the C38-71 with a 70mm pulley on it at the time. I would of crushed the dyno shoot out, but I burnt the damn brakes up and was steel on steel like a dumbass. That is why I showed up in the Tundra.

I later ran the C38-81 and it was clear we needed more cooling and switched to the big air/air unit and that became the Mk2 system.

G

Gadget

Reaction score
You can get the probes and data logger from Omega.

G

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I used a termocoupler logging device. I can take in 4 data points at one time. Same setup Quantum was using on their hydrogen conversion project.

One probe in the air filter, One in the compressor discharge port, one in the throttle body inlet, and one in the intercooler water tank.

I ran that test in Cali the day before the big dyno shoot out at Thorley. I had the C38-71 with a 70mm pulley on it at the time. I would of crushed the dyno shoot out, but I burnt the damn brakes up and was steel on steel like a dumbass. That is why I showed up in the Tundra.

I later ran the C38-81 and it was clear we needed more cooling and switched to the big air/air unit and that became the Mk2 system.

G

WOW, with the 70mm on there??? good for two back to back 4th gear pulls...Ok, i think im fine then in terms of IAT, cali weather FTW.:rockon:

Also, Customer support. This is why i love URD. :top:

Worth noting, he needed more cooling with the -81, so switched to an Air to Air...makes 50 less Hp then APR claims with their turbo kit...:dontknow:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
How so? I don't quite understand that post anyhow? Which psi was is the MK2/3 sold as? I kniw it is not 12 psi. To be fair, the APR kit and an MK2/3 kit need to hit the same dyno back to back at as close to the same psi as possible.

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
I love Gadget and URD support very much! Anyway back on topic in theory with the location of the turbo you should have lower intake air temps (compared to a front mount) as well as lower under hood temps and maybe EGT's. Now if this is the case well done, if not more room for the cooling system to compensate. I really hope all goes well with the guys set up, anything positive for the 1grfe I support. :top:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Indeed sir. Far superior to the failed attempt by sts.

Gadget

Reaction score
Well, that is likely crank HP. I am sure someone will call and ask for clarification.

I have pushed mine well over that crank HP number. The flow was WAY up there and all the injectors including the 7th maxxed out and it started going lean, but what a ride!!!

G

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
The Mk2 stage 3 made 422whp, according to gadget. he needed more cooling, so switched to a Air-Air. Most members, from what i gathered reported, 10psi-10.5psi approx with the smallest pulley. I AM NOT CRITICIZING URD's potential, merely using it as a basis of comparison.

So correct me if im wrong, as you increase the put air under pressure, its temperature heats up. No? So adding higher PSI would lead to a higher intake temp. So it will need better IAT cooling...Plain and simple, that level of PSI, needs better cooling...in my mind:smile: Just saying..

NVM, just saw G-mans post, crank HP makes more sense....So they are pretty evenly matched then.. 422whp times 15% drive line loss....485 crank hp...

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
How so? I don't quite understand that post anyhow? Which psi was is the MK2/3 sold as? I kniw it is not 12 psi. To be fair, the APR kit and an MK2/3 kit need to hit the same dyno back to back at as close to the same psi as possible.

Why is everyone caught up on comparisons without facts.
We need to get the two systems on a track side by side and see what happens. :biggrin:

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
Well hopefully this guy takes it to a dyno and/or track.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Why is everyone caught up on comparisons without facts.
We need to get the two systems on a track side by side and see what happens. :biggrin:

Exactly. A lot of this and that prior to any known data.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have not heard this kit personally, but i did run my kit with out a muffler for quite a while. I tell you, that turbo sound, is sick! Then after a while it becomes a whirl that is just hard to deal with. Still sounds bad ass, but everybody and their kids on scooters want to freaking race you. Geez.

I know the owner mentionef that he is still on the stock clutch with 80k+ miles. So i cannot imagine him wanting to really beat down on it before he gets a new one in there.

Hopefully though if we in Houston can get some people together, we can meet up for a few runs at the track here, in August. Might even be three turbo Tacomas there. Wouldn't that be cool? o_O

Last edited:
Top Bottom