Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Are some modifications overrated?

Yardie

"The Jamaican"
Reaction score
Damn, that's a lot of $$$$.Can you imagine how much it costs to run 12's?

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Other than that I haven't heard anyone have any success/be happy changing the gearing in the diff.... Maybe I am wrong..

I'm running 4.30s and very very happy with them. :rock:
Great part is at 75mph I'm only turning 2K rpms. :biggrin:

ntinhri

Reaction score
Damn, that's a lot of $$$$.Can you imagine how much it costs to run 12's?
30,000:biggrin:

buy some drag radials used- 200 will gain you plenty of time at the track

sparkys tacoma

Reaction score
OK will build the.motor and Turbo. With that auto you'd be hitting nice boost every time. Aerodynamic's your nose high and are fighting speed the whole time. In a xr with your set up your looking at 114-116mph lowered maybe 118. Both lighter and more Aero. But I feel ya I went from stock to 2.7 and X'd so my next step.cost me a new motor. Is that honestly where you want to go. I hope so I'd love to see that thing hit the high 11's.

Grumpy

Reaction score
You're missing one crucial mod that all the power has to go through, tires.

One year later, more power but basically the same ET.....doesn't that tell you the tires are worn out. :dontknow:

Jap

Reaction score
I run my 265 wide AT's at the strip a little while back, just to see.
I was running around 14.3-14.4 (60 foot around 2.4)
Put on a set of 12" Sportsman Pros and went into the high 13's with no other changes.

I trapped my best ET on the AT's (98.something) and could not get near that again.
I put it down to everything being cool, but the tyre diameters were slightly different, the Sportsmans were an inch smaller.

Emanon

Reaction score
Overrated? No. While they may not your truck a 1/4 mile beast they did make it a crazy fast reliable daily driver. Look at the platform you started with, the parts you added, and compare that to a stock 4x4. No comparison.

IMO what you have added ensures the engine does not go kaboom and therefore some of the best mods you have done. Unfortunately speed is a path of diminishing returns. Sadly the next big upgrade options for you are rather spendy.

rat7761

Reaction score
One mod that can net major gains in 1/4 mile performance is going to a deeper (numerically higher) rear end gear ratio. I personally shaved 0.8 of a second off my 1/4 mile time on another vehicle simply by going from a 3.31 gear to a 4.10 gear. The drawback is less gas mileage and higher cruising RPM. Not too many guys on XRU mess with rear gear ratios and see how they affect 1/4 mile performance. Just my 2 cents. =)

Super Werty

Reaction score
You're missing one crucial mod that all the power has to go through, tires.

One year later, more power but basically the same ET.....doesn't that tell you the tires are worn out. :dontknow:

tires are fine, I am hooking up off the line like crazy, not even a chirp out of the tires

One mod that can net major gains in 1/4 mile performance is going to a deeper (numerically higher) rear end gear ratio. I personally shaved 0.8 of a second off my 1/4 mile time on another vehicle simply by going from a 3.31 gear to a 4.10 gear. The drawback is less gas mileage and higher cruising RPM. Not too many guys on XRU mess with rear gear ratios and see how they affect 1/4 mile performance. Just my 2 cents. =)

problem is trying to find a set of 4.10 gears for the front and rear.

5000XD

Reaction score
Not overrated, you ran quicker times. If times were the same it would be overrated imo.

Dekar12

Reaction score
Still launching in 4x4?

If so, that is holding back your top end quite a bit I think.

And yes, all the mods are expensive, but you also have to look at other things when just looking at the speed/power that the upgrades brought to the table.

X-1, and transmission upgrade added in a large amount of longevity for your vehicle, they might not have added much to the power for track purposes but overall it brought a lot more tot he table.

Also, these trucks and motors are still a niche market. It is not main stream like the LS series or the mustang motors where every vendor out there is competing to make better and faster parts for people. We have limited options to keep what we have in these trucks and that is going to make it expensive.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
that's a lot of money, but the most important thing is where they worth it too you. We can all post our thoughts, but your's matters most. If you happy, let it be. It sounds like you expected more, but your truck is faster than most. I can understand the little bit of frustration though.....

Overrated? No. While they may not your truck a 1/4 mile beast they did make it a crazy fast reliable daily driver. Look at the platform you started with, the parts you added, and compare that to a stock 4x4. No comparison.

IMO what you have added ensures the engine does not go kaboom and therefore some of the best mods you have done. Unfortunately speed is a path of diminishing returns. Sadly the next big upgrade options for you are rather spendy.

well put brotha....

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Map-Ecu2 can tune a 7th injector. Not to bad for tuning either, just different. You can make really good power with it, but it doesn't have the guardian feature. Still a very good device.

Super Werty

Reaction score
Yea I would agree all of these parts are great. Definitely not dissing on them. Just kinda crazy to see those reults being so small. My butt dyno isnt calibrated correctly, cause it felt like alot more:laugh:

Top Bottom