Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Baseline today, TRD arrived while on dyno

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedXr

Reaction score
haha...nice...cant wait to get mine installed!

LSKustumz

Reaction score
Excellent build up!! This should be stickied with the charts that will be on here.

Its not very often that somebody goes through a step by step dyno build. It gets expensive when you don't have normal access to a dyno.

When I had my SR I did the same thing. With each addition of parts I would do 3 pulls. I even took an afternoon to try and tune it, but that's a different story, ended up just putting the 7th injector I had back to normal.

JeffSnAusTX

Reaction score
Thanks! For comparison here are 3 graphs (same Dyno Dynamics dynamometer) of my near-stock (HKS cat back, high flow air filter) 2003 Honda S2000 (last of the 9k RPM redliners). 2.0L inline 4. Note the VTEC kick @ 6k RPMs.

When I return on 5/31 I'll have the operator overlay the S2000, X Stock, and X with s/c for shi#s and giggles. I'll upload the larger (about 400k) .jpgs to a remote server and link to them in a new thread... :top:

I may hunt down a DynoJet dyno and run the S2000 on it for a comparison.

Attachments

• JSSS 90%.JPG
    JSSS 90%.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 109
  • AP2 wheels and Advans 002 25%.JPG
    AP2 wheels and Advans 002 25%.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
they havent ventured into the 1gr area very much so far. but they are a quality company like urd. and they race what they sell..

looking forward to a bone stock truck with trd s/c numbers. most all others posted were already tainted.

Super Werty

Reaction score
so did nobody sign-up for the group buy??

i can't find anything about the 1GR on the paradise racing site

im not sure. You would have to contact them and ask.

But with their kit you could have a massive twin turbo set up

Bobby B

Reaction score
I wonder what the warranty says about this? What does Toyota say when a guy buys a brand new truck and S/C at the same time. I wonder if they recommend the customer to wait for break in prior to install . You brought up a good point Crown14.

Let me preface this by saying my driving is very consistant... I filled up again this morning, and after doing the math I have picked up another MPG- now I am close to 1100 miles and getting 17.5mpg. A week ago, around 800 miles, I calculated 16.5mpg. Prior to that I had been getting a consistant 15.5mpg. This, coupled with the fact that the truck continues to run more and more smoothly tells me that they arent kidding when they reccomend taking it easy for the first 1000 miles. I have been working on cars for a living the past 10 years, and built my fair share of engine not to mention the countless hours of experience I have with my hands inside engines trying to correct damage done to them by careless owners. I guarantee you that dyno pulls and SC install before allowing the engine to break in is a very, very bad idea.

Ill leave it at that and wish you luck!

JeffSnAusTX

Reaction score
I wonder what the warranty says about this? What does Toyota say when a guy buys a brand new truck and S/C at the same time. I wonder if they recommend the customer to wait for break in prior to install . You brought up a good point Crown14.

Being the first 4.0L s/c customer @ this dealership, the Service Manager, General Manager, and Master Techs were all present when I dropped the truck off. They said nothing about break-in when noting my odometer mileage (just over 500 miles). The TRD paperwork says nothing about break in/engine mileage requirement/etc.

From the Operator's Manual, page 271 "Break-in period"

Drive gently and avoid high speeds.

Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But following a few simple tips for the first 1600km (1000 miles) can add to the future economy and long life of your vehicle:
  • Avoid full throttle acceleration when starting and driving.
  • Avoid racing the engine.
  • Try to avoid hard stops during the first 300km (200 miles).
  • Do not drive slowly with the manual transmission in a high gear.
  • Do not drive for a long time at any single speed, either fast or slow.
  • Do not tow a trailer during the first 800km (500 miles).
Note the use of "Avoid" and "Do not" - all very subjective to me :dontknow:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Thats because for the most part these motors are broken in from factory even before they get dropped into the truck.

Those practices are just common sense tips really for longevity.

A constant steady higher RPM will wear a motor out faster then a varying one.

Romping on a cold motor is always a no-no and will shorten the life of the components; proper warm up is critical to insure full even expansion and lubrication. I always let my engine warm up (summer or winter) to about a 140 degree water temperature before I start driving it (then i drive lightly tell it reaches full operating temp). I dont drive it hard until its been driven lightly for a good 5 minutes and operating temperature reaches 180 or so.

The same thing goes for my quads, dirtbikes, motorcycles, etc... Its just good practice to relieve some undue strain and early wear on the motor.

crown14

Reaction score
Jeff how much did the SC install cost you parts and labor, and how many hours did they charge you?

JeffSnAusTX

Reaction score
Jeff how much did the SC install cost you parts and labor, and how many hours did they charge you?

$3,750 for the SC (Toyota of Dallas aka TRDparts4u.com) and $613 for the install. The Service Manager used 6 hours for the labor rate, based off previous TRD SC "book" values. The Master Tech spent just under 8 hours installing it, so I threw him an extra $100 :top:

I would've done this myself but I was really concerned about the warranty. When I picked up the truck and asked if they had sent the warranty card they said "oh, you can mail that in yourself" so I did :dontknow:

Last edited:

WCD

Reaction score
What you just mentioned is an easy way to get the warranty card in regardless of aftermarket parts. If you have aftermarket parts already on the truck (intake, etc) and don't take them out prior, then open the blower box, take the warranty card out and keep it.
After the work is done, the dealer will give you a copy of the repair order with the RO# at the top. From there, fill out the info and mail the card in yourself. That's what I did. :top:

JeffSnAusTX

Reaction score
Headed to the dyno tomorrow... Will post up before, after, and overlays.... after getting stood-up by a bunch of 2.0L inline 4 bangers :laugh:

JeffSnAusTX

Reaction score
Supercharger netted +47RWHP and +50FT-LBS over stock. I'll post a new thread with links to (3) graphs... Dyno Dynamics dynamometer is known to read low, proven as one 558RWHP (Dynojet) S2000 only pulled 378RWHP (load issues)... Have videos too :top:

Truck was a big hit :top: :top:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom