Blacking out the tail lights?

Discussion in 'Exterior Modifications' started by Rat Rod, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Rat Rod

Rat Rod "Blade"

how much and how long did it cost and take for you to get black tails on your truck and if anyone knows a good spot to do them in houston

2. blazinx

blazinx Active Member

i can do them we can meet up and talk bout price

3. xrunner224

xrunner224 New Member

you can do it yourself
    with about
    30min or less
    and window tint spray

4. blazinx

blazinx Active Member

i wouldnt use that stuff its a wast of money but thats my 2 cents i use automotive clear and black

5. RJDoute

RJDoute "My Salami Nipples Ooze Milk"

Automotive clear and black/tint is the only way to go.. pretty easy job if you have the tools. :top: 80/20 mixture or so.

6. dmbfan73

dmbfan73 Active Member

i've used the spray tint from hobby shops and vht nite shades, vht works much better IMO.

7. braves011

braves011 "Crouching Tiger"

:dito: autopaint and clear is the only way to do it one reason i like that is i useally wax them when i wax the truck. also the window tint will come off in time. theres someone in Houston who does them i wanting to say its Grumpy but can't remember exactly. heres a pic of mine wshsbears did mine and i'm wanting to say its 90/10 its noot too dark.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Rat Rod

Rat Rod "Blade"

hmm thanks for the input ill be thinkin bout it for awhile i need a job first

9. Coupe

Coupe Active Member

Grumpy has done several sets.

I used VHT on mine, but I shot over it with clear. I do think using automotive quality paints results in a better job.

before
    [​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

10. 5H4D0WD347H

5H4D0WD347H New Member

More pictures coupe!

11. Rat Rod

Rat Rod "Blade"

i like the look braves has goin on nice and dark buut still visible as for who i could ask to do it blazin or coupe hmm what incentives do yall offer?:biggrin:

12. Coupe

Coupe Active Member

These are a little dated. I need to take a few new ones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Grumpy's will look better. Mine was done with a rattle can. They look good, but Grumpy's or Blazin X is going to look much better.

#12 Coupe, Jun 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  13. blazinx

blazinx Active Member

im not sure if grumy can still do it but i can for sure i work at a body shop so i could swap u all three of mine and then get urs done and swap back with a small cash donation to me :top:

14. Viet2100

Viet2100 New Member

Automotive black + clear FTW!

[​IMG]

15. Coopstain

Coopstain New Member

wshsbears did mine too.... 90% Clear 10% Automotive Black applied with a spray gun. These are only one good coat. I think they are PERFECT and i have heard wshsbears tell people these were the best shade that he has ever done (he gets a lil crazy with the spray gun and likes to go real dark lol). Anyways... these are just right... they are dark, but you can still see a lil red tint from the lense.. have had no problem with cops either!
    [​IMG]

16. llicrxjr84

llicrxjr84 New Member

another way to do it is to get the smoked lens...can cost a lil money...but it wont damage ur lens like painting would...

17. X_Less

X_Less Member

Alexxxwing and Gen2Crvtec got together and did gen2crvtecs tail lights... From what i recall.

Get tint spray (nightshade i believe was the name?)Use a scuff pad to scuff the tail lights until its all hazey, Use even coats and every other coat let dry for like 3-5 minutes until you get the desired amount of tint... Do not forget to clear after the tint has dried... I think they did like 4-5 coats of clear.

When done with this process it will not look "perfect" it will be bumpy, depending on your skills you might have some run marks... Do not fret... Depending on how much sun exposure your truck gets 48 hours-a week til fully cured... Me and gen2crvtec waited 4 days (i think) to wetsand them.

Get some 2000 grit sand paper and begin wet sanding evenly and TAKE YOUR TIME. This process takes awhile depending on the type of clear and how it was sprayed on... wet sand until the surface is super smooth and when wet looks perfect. Once you dry it off it will look like shit.

I used 3M Rubbing compound and PlastX on the tail lights with a 10" orbital buffer and polishing bonnet... Afew coats on the tail lights with these compounds it looks great... but be known when you get wax inside the edges on the tail lights... It's a pain in the ass to get out... I found a thin rag and a knife works...

18. music_man185

music_man185 New Member

that looks real good! what kind/brand did you use and how many coats? i have a brand new can of vht night shades waiting on me. i just didn't know what kind of clearcoat to use. i was afraid any rattle can clearcoat would give me a dull look instead of glossy. but yours looks pretty damn good.

19. rich017

rich017 Active Member

Mix a 9 to 1 ratio of Automotive black lacquer/automotive clear lacquer.

So basically the mixture is 90% clear and mixed into a spray gun. The more coats, the darker it gets without really affecting light output

20. Viet2100

Viet2100 New Member

It's not rattle can, it was done at my buddy's house with his paint gun.