Blower Being a...Whippersnapper

Discussion in 'F/I Mods & Tuning' started by whippersnapper02, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, you could also get a dyno done with an AFR gauge reading, to see as well. As that is a cheaper option to determine how rich it is. However, that will only let you finally know, and let you know what a possible next step could be.

If your tune is making your engine run day in the 9's AFR's, then you can expect to gain a good deal of power. Moving it up to the 11's. You'll never know without some that data aquisition though.

Or.....be acceptant and live in happy ignorant bliss.

That isn't the case because you have for years had this annoyance for making you question why.

2. wolfpack_5150

wolfpack_5150 Member

Is it blk smoke atleast?

3. whippersnapper02

Can't tell when it's dark out. Other fluids are fine so I'm pretty sure it's fuel.

4. justin13703

justin13703 Active Member

I liked the aem I had, it was a real nice gauge. It was nice that they have the light sensor built into the face so you don't have to tap into the parking light circuit to have them dim at night. It does it by itself.

FWIW, I had a shop weld the bung for the sensor in my exhaust for like 20 dollars. So if you need to have that done its not going to run you a lot of money. I actually may still have my aem afr gauge laying around. I'll take a look and see if I can find it. I know I don't still have the sensor, but if I find the gauge and the harnesses and you're interested I'll let you have it for cheap. You'll just need to get the sensor.

5. whippersnapper02

I guess my problem with the "just but an AFR gauge" is that I know what it's going to tell me and I don't think tuning is going to fix a mechanical failure if that's what I have. Why do I have a weird idle at fillup? Does the ECU say, "let's enrichen the mixture just because dude put gas in his truck" as part of it's normal operation? I distinctly remember the engine not starting when I went to bleed fuel pressure before starting work on the blower. I have been researching my issue and my symptoms point to a bad pressure regulator. I'll have to get my pressure gauge going to verify but will take some modifications to get that going.

#66 whippersnapper02, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  6. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

The Innovate MTX-L is likely a better unit. Have them in stock at URD and can get it right out to you.

7. whippersnapper02

I'm liking the 3891.

8. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

URD also sells a fuel pressure regulator sensor adaptor. Be an easy start. Either for a mechanical local gauge, or an in cab gauge.

9. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Either way, you have an issue. To troubleshoot that issue, you need tools to diagnose and narrow down the true cause.

10. whippersnapper02

I already have it but it didn't fit.

11. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Did you slightly notch it? Some fit, some don't without a little file action. Just the way the inconsistencies are with the fuel rail.

12. whippersnapper02

Mine needs more than a notch. I don't really have a way to hold the workpiece (vise) or else I would have taken care of it.

#73 whippersnapper02, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  13. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

You can't find anyone to help?

14. Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Member

I did mine by hand with an angle grinder. I had to grind about 1/8" give or take on the inside edge of the adaptor that touches the supercharger housing. Just grind a little at a time then test fit.

Torspd likes this.
  15. autobodyX

autobodyX Member

I changed my regulator after having starting problems and lean codes but my problem was a line in the tank. I still have my old regulator it has about 35,000 miles on it. If you want to try it.

16. whippersnapper02

Not really. Who's going to hold the part while I work on it with an angle grinder? Bahahaha! My buddy offered to take it to work to shave it down but I just haven't tried to fit it again. I literally have no motivation to work on this truck besides maintenance.

I would also have to change my gauge setup to get fuel and ARF running with boost pressure. Hard to do when this truck has been such a modding fail.

Haha! That's what I was doing but it wasn't working out so well. My grinder doesn't have a switch lock to keep it running.

I would get the occasion hot start problem since new and my current issue ever since I put the blower on. It could be me but it's too fool proof of an install to screw something up.

I'll just pick up a new one. They aren't expensive ($100) but thank you.

#77 whippersnapper02, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  17. whippersnapper02

Flipped my VSV valve and so far no irregular idle after 2 fillups. I haven't checked to see if I'm still blowing smoke though.

#noafrgauge

18. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

How else does it run?

19. whippersnapper02

Feels like it has more pep and it doesn't have a dead spot around 2500 to 3000rpm but I was in Arizona for 4 days and the fuel there has 5% less ethanol than CA fuel. I wanted to try the VP station for ethanol free fuel but didn't make it.