Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Brake Controller Setup

jerky1280

Reaction score
If anyone has a brake controller in their X, I'd like to know how you set it up. Is there a "plug and play" wiring harness out there? I want a 7-pin plug so I can add brakes to my trailer in the future if I want.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Don't think anyone has wired a brake controller in, and I don't think it would be plug and play. The trailer lighting is not really even plug and play.
not real sure on this one, but if a trailer is big enough to need brakes it may be a little too big for the X to haul

CBRBob

Reaction score
Not so. I have a 6x10 enclosed that I haul 2 bikes and gear in. It pulls it just fine, but the XR has undersized brakes. Wiring in a brake controller should take about 2hrs max. It's easy, but you have to run a power wire from the battery, inside the cab and back out to where you will have the plug harness out back. There is no plug and play.

MXXN

Reaction score
My trailer wiring was 100% plug and play. Pulled the tail lights and unplugged the factory connectors. Hooked the light controller into the factory harness then to the lights. Mount the controller and done.

If your towing alot I would recommend a prodigy controller by tukansha (sp?)

jerky1280

Reaction score
My trailer wiring was 100% plug and play. Pulled the tail lights and unplugged the factory connectors. Hooked the light controller into the factory harness then to the lights. Mount the controller and done.

If your towing alot I would recommend a prodigy controller by tukansha (sp?)
That's probably the controller I'll get. Either that or the Voyager.

Where did you hook into the factory harness? Is there a plug for the controller hidden somewhere (I know some trucks have this)?

Thanks.

Twisted Creations

Reaction score
Actually there is a Plug and Play harness for the Tacoma, and the plug is there on our trucks. However not all areas of the plug function as they should. I have had it installed for a couple of years now, just using the power off of it...

Part # 821320C010 about $30 at the dealership, BUT, will not work fully on an X-Runner

Last edited:

rich017

Reaction score
Actually there is a Plug and Play harness for the Tacoma, and the plug is there on our trucks. However not all areas of the plug function as they should. I have had it installed for a couple of years now, just using the power off of it...

Part # 821320C010 about $30 at the dealership, BUT, will not work fully on an X-Runner

Is that the harness for the trailer that plugs in behind your tail lights?

Here it is for $20

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=213983

heloboby7

Reaction score
The shop I work at has a Prodigy controller in our Chevy 3500 Duramax rig. The enclosed trailer we pull weighs approx 7000lbs with a car in it. The controller has worked great in any situation we've been in.

Roseknight

Reaction score
Here in Texas I think it's 4000lbs + requires trailer brakes X Runner max tow is 3500.

But having used trailer brakes on large loads... it sure does a good job of keeping things uneventful when having to do a quick stop because of some numbskull in front of you...

Top Bottom