Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Call in the cavalry: An XR color change / restoration journey

blu xr

Reaction score
man i get jelly eveytime i check this thread lol...

meant to ask you, when you painted your wheels, you said you used anthracite.
was it the toyota supra color anthracite metallic (1a1) paint code?

Seamless

Reaction score
man i get jelly eveytime i check this thread lol...

meant to ask you, when you painted your wheels, you said you used anthracite.
was it the toyota supra color anthracite metallic (1a1) paint code?

Haha thanks! Im still having fun adding little bits here and there. Next phase is wheels but Im having a hard time deciding what I like.

Its actually just Plasti-dip spray can paint which is a spray rubber coating if you havnt used it before, so not an actual manufacturer paint code. I had to order the anthracite color as it wasnt in stores. I didnt want to do a permanent badass paint job on the factory wheels so dip is a good alternative as you dont have to sand at all and its really durable until you change tires and the edge gets torn. If you end up using dip make sure you clean the wheels and spray at least 4 coats. You want a thick material build so it can be peeled off clean, too thin and it just shreds. Ive done whole cars using a wagner type sprayer and buying it in gallons. The below link is just an example, you should be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/Anthracite-G...3647&sprefix=anthracite+plasti,aps,195&sr=8-1

blu xr

Reaction score
Haha thanks! Im still having fun adding little bits here and there. Next phase is wheels but Im having a hard time deciding what I like.

Its actually just Plasti-dip spray can paint which is a spray rubber coating if you havnt used it before, so not an actual manufacturer paint code. I had to order the anthracite color as it wasnt in stores. I didnt want to do a permanent badass paint job on the factory wheels so dip is a good alternative as you dont have to sand at all and its really durable until you change tires and the edge gets torn. If you end up using dip make sure you clean the wheels and spray at least 4 coats. You want a thick material build so it can be peeled off clean, too thin and it just shreds. Ive done whole cars using a wagner type sprayer and buying it in gallons. The below link is just an example, you should be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/Anthracite-Grey-colored-Plasti-Spray/dp/B00EKS5GDY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3AQHUDUJN7XP&dchild=1&keywords=anthracite+plasti+dip&qid=1597923647&sprefix=anthracite+plasti,aps,195&sr=8-1

ah...cool. i may try the plastidip in satin black. either that or see if the work equip wheels off my current supra fit the xr and get some forgestar f14s for the supra.

btw anthracite, quicksliver and royal sapphire pearl (rsp) are the most desirable/collectible colors for a mkiv

Seamless

Reaction score
Blu xr : Supra and X-runner are toyota owner life goals! Good job

Seamless

Reaction score
Got some viking shocks for the rear. Anybody have good baseline settings for compression/rebound?

mejbro

Reaction score
They may have shipped them at a good baseline already?

mejbro

Reaction score
Sweet, have fun with install! I loved upgrading one system at a time to see how much each component made a difference at the track.

Seamless

Reaction score
So the time has come to do wheels! I've been toying around with some ghetto photochops and have narrowed it down to these 3 options. Size would be 19x9.5 front and 19x10.5 rear with a 22 offset all around to stick out a tad. Tell me what you think?

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

blu xr

Reaction score
opt 1 or 2 looks the best

glad your going with 19s because 18s always looked too small to me. since im not gonna drop mine anymore i may go with 20s.

Seamless

Reaction score
opt 1 or 2 looks the best

glad your going with 19s because 18s always looked too small to me. since im not gonna drop mine anymore i may go with 20s.

I used the wheel forum here to gather lots of info. 18s do look too small because these trucks have big oblong openings. 20's look good sometimes but then you risk trimming if lowered or running a skinny tire. I still use her as a truck (race truck haha) and want to run a 40 series tire because the roads here have been under construction for years and are horrible.

Edgeman

Reaction score
Option 1 gets my vote! It has a very clean look. Option 2 would be 2nd. No way in heck would I put option 3 on my X...lol

mejbro

Reaction score
That six-spoke setup is sick!
Great choice!

Seamless

Reaction score
That six-spoke setup is sick!
Great choice!
Thanks! Got black lugs and stems coming. I might also blackout the inside barrel, think it looks better, especially when they start getting dirty. Then it will be tire time, going for a 40 series with mild stretch

Top Bottom