Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Calling all transmission issues on Xrunner

X-roller

Reaction score
So going from 3rd to 1st is what u want? Not really following cause if I'm in 2nd u want me to go to 3rd and then to 1st. Just too many extra moves but I'll yry it and get back to u.

So how does redline my-90 work better then Amsoil syn gear oil?

I can also shift thru all my gears with moderate accel and not use the clutch without any grinding. Just like how u would drive an 18 spd tractor.

Anyone else?

Since you said it's hard to get into first... is this from a stand still? or trying to downshift? if it's at a stand still put it into 3rd and then 1st.

And also with your 2nd gear issue when it locks you out... try going from 1st to 4th... Don't let the clutch out just throw it into 4th then 2nd.... same thing for the 1st gear issue. I know you have some mechanics behind you so i'm gonna ask you to check some stuff out on the shifter and links if you don't mind...

Last edited:

hawkone29

Reaction score
There were no issues before the fluid change or after it just started happeing in november and i changed fluid in june. The knocking is a knock when i pull hard in 3rd or 6th like I can feel the shifter like jump up and down or click or whatever its hard to describe the feeling but the noise is a knock.

X-roller

Reaction score
There were no issues before the fluid change or after it just started happeing in november and i changed fluid in june. The knocking is a knock when i pull hard in 3rd or 6th like I can feel the shifter like jump up and down or click or whatever its hard to describe the feeling but the noise is a knock.

kind of like it locks into place? like the teeth match up but forcefully?

nine9six

Reaction score
FWIW, I can never shift down into first unless I'm going like 5 MPH.

Backerthebiker

Reaction score
I can downshift to third all day long with no grind. It only happens on the upshift, so 5th to 3rd = no grind as well as 6 to 3 or 4 to 3..

I think I agree that some of the issues could be linkage. That's what I've decided after finding that I can eliminate the grinding by holding the shifter to one side. Kinda like a bent shift fork or something (I don't know what's in these trans, just sayin it seems like something's bent or not lining up right).

Murderface

Reaction score
Since you said it's hard to get into first... is this from a stand still? or trying to downshift? if it's at a stand still put it into 3rd and then 1st.

And also with your 2nd gear issue when it locks you out... try going from 1st to 4th... Don't let the clutch out just throw it into 4th then 2nd.... same thing for the 1st gear issue. I know you have some mechanics behind you so i'm gonna ask you to check some stuff out on the shifter and links if you don't mind...

I can just let the clutch out then push it back in and it goes right into 2nd everytime. I do this when it locks me out, no need to go all the way to 4th.
IDK I'm beginning to think it's a shifter/linkage problem too. If I push the shifter a little more to the left when going from 2nd to 1st(stand still) it has less problems getting into gear. On a roll it will go from 2 nd to 1st with no issues.

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
I don't have any experience in the throw out bearing issue. I have yet to run into one that has this issue. I wish I could hear your t/o bearing in person. Vids are not good enough. I heard your vid but it's impossible to pin point it in a video....

I think the throw out bearing issue (external) and the gear grinding (internal) are separate issues for the most part. The bearing problem is a design problem due to poor alignment of the input shaft and [lack of] pilot bearing. When my transmission was dropped, we could see where the bearing was wearing on the input shaft. That metal-metal friction is what causes the squealing noise. It doesn't cause any apparent mechanical problems, but the lube is only good for so long if the alignment isn't correct. Only thing you get from a new bellhousing is a new input shaft for the bearing to wear on again, which is why I refuse to pay money to Toyota for a new one.

X-roller

Reaction score
I can just let the clutch out then push it back in and it goes right into 2nd everytime. I do this when it locks me out, no need to go all the way to 4th.
IDK I'm beginning to think it's a shifter/linkage problem too. If I push the shifter a little more to the left when going from 2nd to 1st(stand still) it has less problems getting into gear. On a roll it will go from 2 nd to 1st with no issues.

So in other words you have to double clutch right? And well if you could take a look at the linkage from the shifter that leads into the tranny.... Do you see any damage on it?.... If you could that would help a bunch. Thanks. I'm sure you can do this because I know you have some mechanics behind you.

I think the throw out bearing issue (external) and the gear grinding (internal) are separate issues for the most part. The bearing problem is a design problem due to poor alignment of the input shaft and [lack of] pilot bearing. When my transmission was dropped, we could see where the bearing was wearing on the input shaft. That metal-metal friction is what causes the squealing noise. It doesn't cause any apparent mechanical problems, but the lube is only good for so long if the alignment isn't correct. Only thing you get from a new bellhousing is a new input shaft for the bearing to wear on again, which is why I refuse to pay money to Toyota for a new one.

Have you ever checked your input shaft? To see if it is bent or just coming out of the tranny at an angle? I am yet to run into an Xrunner that has a TO bearing problem here and I really wanna hear one to see what it could possibly be... I think our trannies are strong just it's weak link may be just that... weak links...

FWIW, I can never shift down into first unless I'm going like 5 MPH.

So going like 20 mph you can't downshift into 1st?.... Or you can't shift into first unless already rolling?....

I can downshift to third all day long with no grind. It only happens on the upshift, so 5th to 3rd = no grind as well as 6 to 3 or 4 to 3..

I think I agree that some of the issues could be linkage. That's what I've decided after finding that I can eliminate the grinding by holding the shifter to one side. Kinda like a bent shift fork or something (I don't know what's in these trans, just sayin it seems like something's bent or not lining up right).

Next time you are driving when at idle just try and see if you can shift it into 3rd without the clutch to see if it grinds..no gas...no clutch.... and also when shifting into third... Lift the shifter as if you were going to pull it out and shift into 3rd. You will feel the shifter come up a little bit and then try to shift into 3rd....

Last edited:

ntinhri

Reaction score
Sweet a 2nd gear grind... Ok so here is the deal.... Is this shifting high rpms or low rpms?..... Next time you are in the X without pushing the clutch in and at idle do me a favor and just try putting it into second... See if it grinds... Don't try and force it.... just like a daily driving shift..... Don't give it gas or anything otherwise it will try to go into second because you're tranny will try to do a clutchless shift which is possible but only while moving... I know it sounds stupid but just trust me on this.... Like I said before i'm going to be asking you to do some stuff for all the people that have transmission issues.... Anyways... When you are doing that does it go fairly deep into the notch of where second gear goes?... Ask if you don't know what that means... Also on your 5th gear same questions as the other guy...

I can shift my truck clutchless when ever I want... 5th gear grinds at high rpm's and high speed.. 2nd gear grinds high rpm, fast shifting...

X-roller

Reaction score
I can shift my truck clutchless when ever I want... 5th gear grinds at high rpm's and high speed.. 2nd gear grinds high rpm, fast shifting...

at idle not driving it.... you shouldn't be able to put in into gear if your truck is just idling and you aren't using the clutch.... Does your truck grind only when shift fast into 2nd at high rpms?... or you can shift slow at high RPMs and it still grinds? See the quick shifts are what makes me believe that the links are weak in our trucks and over time they weaken and stretch out or begin to slide out of the forks....

ntinhri

Reaction score
only grinds in 2nd when shifting fast @ redline.

If I shift slow its ok, but then again if you shift slow RPMs are dropping too so its a lower rpm and slower shift

5th actually grinds at high speeds and high rpm if you shift normal. If I press the clutch bump like im going to shift to 6th but then push up to 5th no problem. If not 5th will grind. Also normally 90% of the time I shift 1-2-3-4-6 or 1-2-4-6

will not go into gear at idle with out clutch.

X-roller

Reaction score
only grinds in 2nd when shifting fast @ redline.

If I shift slow its ok, but then again if you shift slow RPMs are dropping too so its a lower rpm and slower shift

5th actually grinds at high speeds and high rpm if you shift normal. If I press the clutch bump like im going to shift to 6th but then push up to 5th no problem. If not 5th will grind. Also normally 90% of the time I shift 1-2-3-4-6 or 1-2-4-6

will not go into gear at idle with out clutch.

ok when you try to put it in... does it go deep into the notch?? Deeper than in any other gear? When trying to do it without the clutch... if it does that is why i'm getting ready to tear into my tranny to see exactly why there is that extra slop which is more than likely going to be because of those links...

ntinhri

Reaction score
ill have to play with it.. Honestly i remember that when it would grind the stick didnt seem to get in gear all the way=grind.. if you shift normally it would go deeper..

X-roller

Reaction score
Yeap.... that is why I started realizing it wasn't syncros but links... if that's the issue then fixing these trannies will be cheap.

inny

Reaction score
i get a grind goint into 2nd and 4th once in a while (i cant pin duplicate it) and i get a 5th gear gring at high rpm's all the time (3500 and up)
its still the stock toyota oil.
i like the truck but im starting to hate it with all the problems. i dont think ill ever get another toyota vehicle

X-roller

Reaction score
i get a grind goint into 2nd and 4th once in a while (i cant pin duplicate it) and i get a 5th gear gring at high rpm's all the time (3500 and up)
its still the stock toyota oil.
i like the truck but im starting to hate it with all the problems. i dont think ill ever get another toyota vehicle

High rpms or low?

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
2nd gear grind at high rpms. doesn't always like to go into first gear from a stop. Sometimes I have a grind going into 5th at higher revs. Breaks clutches powershifting into 2nd on drag radials.

TOB sleeve is worn the **** out. TOB is leaving some nice grooves in my pressure plate.:thumpdown:

First and second gear being so far apart might be at least part of the issue with the second gear grind. The syncros we got just can't handle it.
Even if it did shift better, I wouldn't be happy with the stock gearing they got in there. 1st and second need to be closer so my truck stops nosediving on the shift.

Not saying it isn't the linkage, but how could linkage cause grinding? I could see it causing the harder shifts, and not being able to get it into gear. But with the clutch to the floor and if the syncros were doing there job, no matter how fast or slow the shift it should not grind. At least that's my understanding. I am no transmission expert, but I do have a pretty good understanding of the inner workings of them. Maybe there is something I am not thinking about correctly.

X-roller

Reaction score
2nd gear grind at high rpms. doesn't always like to go into first gear from a stop. Sometimes I have a grind going into 5th at higher revs. Breaks clutches powershifting into 2nd on drag radials.

TOB sleeve is worn the **** out. TOB is leaving some nice grooves in my pressure plate.:thumpdown:

First and second gear being so far apart might be at least part of the issue with the second gear grind. The syncros we got just can't handle it.
Even if it did shift better, I wouldn't be happy with the stock gearing they got in there. 1st and second need to be closer so my truck stops nosediving on the shift.

Not saying it isn't the linkage, but how could linkage cause grinding? I could see it causing the harder shifts, and not being able to get it into gear. But with the clutch to the floor and if the syncros were doing there job, no matter how fast or slow the shift it should not grind. At least that's my understanding. I am no transmission expert, but I do have a pretty good understanding of the inner workings of them. Maybe there is something I am not thinking about correctly.

haha... alright well this post made me laugh at the first part... sucks on the clutch part and well to answer the linkage question it's as simple as this.... If the linkage isn't letting the syncro do it's job by not applying enough pressure or if the linkage is weak and causing the fork to tweak and not engage the syncro correctly then you will get the grind because the syncro is only going to get worn on the outer edge or certain spots due to incorrect placements of the syncro... Kind of hard to explain without a diagram but it's the best explanation possible. The linkage is quite important and if there is slop in it at all then the tranny will seem like syncros are shot or can lead to bad syncros....

toyo4life

Reaction score
hey ima newb to the x runner scence i just bought mine 2 weeks ago and im having the same issue as NTINHRI

"5th actually grinds at high speeds and high rpm if you shift normal. If I press the clutch bump like im going to shift to 6th but then push up to 5th no problem. If not 5th will grind. Also normally 90% of the time I shift 1-2-3-4-6 or 1-2-4-6"

can somebody give me some advice on what can cause this issue and what i need to do to solve it. i bought my truck from a dealership with a 100,000 mile warranty and the truck has 54xxx as of now. Does the truck need some better fluid or is it a syncro problem? please help. thank you

Top Bottom