Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Capacitor Wiring

Reaction score
I have been thinking about removing the capacitor in my truck but I'm not sure what all the wiring is doing. It would be nice if I could remove it and just connect some things under the seat without re-wiring everything. I am including some pictures of the wiring with a small description of the numbered spots. I am assuming the blue wires are positive and the gray are ground.

1.) This is a think positive wire coming from under the seat. Is this coming from the battery?

2.) This is a little thinner positive wire coming from under the seat connecting to a mystery box. Not sure where its coming from either.

3.) This is where the thinner positive wire connects to the mystery box.

4.) This is a thinner ground wire connecting to the mystery box.

5.) This is a thick ground wire connecting to the mystery box.

6 & 7.) This is where the thick positive wire connects to the fuse.

8.) This is where the thick positive wire connects to the capacitor.

9.) This is where a thinner positive wire connects to the capacitor. Not sure what this wire is for?

10.) This is where the thick ground wire connects to the capacitor.

11.) This is where the thinner ground wire comes from under the seat

12.) This is where the other thinner positive wire comes from under the seat. Not sure if this could be the some on from the other side? I figure its not and its running through something, possibly the amp?

I'm a little confused because of the thinner wires. I'm not sure what that mystery box is doing. That seems to be where the main ground comes from but I'm not sure why a ground an a positive go in and a ground comes out.

justin13703

Reaction score
I can make sense of that I believe. How many amps do you have? 1? 2? More than 2 lol? And what type of amp(s) are they, 1 or 2 channel amp for a sub, 4 channel for speakers, both, etc.

Reaction score
This is the amp I have installed now.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130GM3400T/Pioneer-GM-3400T.html?tp=115

When I bought the truck the capacitor was already installed and the amp below was hooked up but there were no subs or speakers installed.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500PDX1600/Alpine-PDX-1-600.html?search=PDX1.600&osp=pdx-1.600&tp=115

I pulled the old amp out and installed the pioneer I have now along with an 8 in sub. I just connected everything in place with what was there so I didn't have to rewire. I figured I didn't need the capacitor but it didn't hurt either. Its been a PITA since then though which is why I decided it would probably be good to pull it out finally.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ok. Wire 1 looks like the main battery line. Connect that right to the power input on the amp. Then take one of those gray wires and ground the amp as close to it as possible. My amp grounds are about 3 inches long. There should be a real thin positive wire that only shows voltage when the ignition is on. That is the remote line. Connect that to the remote input on the amp. That's it. Leave your speaker wire the way it is if it's working fine. Those boxes look like a distribution block and a voltage meter. Take all that stuff out. That'll clear out all that clutter

Reaction score
Thanks for you help, you are 100% correct. Its a nice day out today so I decided, screw it, I'm pulling it all out. It all makes sense now. The only thing I'm mad about is why I didn't do it sooner. Its actually a really simple process if you take the seats out.

#1 is coming from the battery. #2 is actually a blue ground wire that is connected directly to the body, this was throwing me off because I just assumed it was positive since it was blue. #4 is the ground headed to the amp. So the mystery box is just one ground wire grounded to the body and one headed to the amp. Then it comes out from here to the ground on the cap, #10. Then #9 is the positive coming from the cap to the amp.

I have a couple of new questions now. You said I can just connect the wire coming from the battery directly to the amp, is this correct? Its a much bigger wire than before, 4 guage. Should I step it down some how or does it not matter? I guess it shouldn't matter, just not sure if it will fit. Maybe I could use the mystery box to step it down, It seems to just be a splitter. Then for the ground, can I just connect it directly to the frame like on the other side?

Reaction score
Ended up connecting it directly, its big but it fits. Grounded it to the frame and that seems to be working. Everything is back up without the cap. On a side not if anyone is looking for a cap I have one for sale, lol.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ended up connecting it directly, its big but it fits. Grounded it to the frame and that seems to be working. Everything is back up without the cap. On a side not if anyone is looking for a cap I have one for sale, lol.

Yeah you want to ground it right to the frame. Make sure it's to bare metal too, not on top of paint. If its under the seats, there's a little cutout in the carpet where the wire harness runs through. That's where I grounded mine. Scrape the paint off of the metal and run some self tappers right through the metal.

What kind how much? Picture

There's two pictures of it in the first post. Lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here is the link to the specs

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4AhGDl...ami-LITEWAVE-Series-PP1002TM.html#details-tab

Its in good condition and always worked for me, just unnecessary for my setup. There are some pictures of it installed above but I put up some more that I'll post below.

I have the capacitor, LCD meter, mounts, and some extra wiring I took out. There is a small dent on one side, I will include a picture of it. A few little screws are missing but all the necessary ones are there.

I'm thinking about $50 OBO shipped in the US. I'll leave it here for a day or so and then move it over to the for sale section.

justin13703

Reaction score
50 is a fair price. I had a Rockford 2 farad cap and that's how much mine sold for too.

Top Bottom