Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

changing front speakers, but keeping OEM tweeters?

stan23

Reaction score
All,

thinking of changing my stock lower door speakers to 6x9s (with adapters)

question is, how do I keep the OEM tweeters? Are they wired to the factory speakers and cross'd over already?

Thanks!

Coupe

Reaction score
I did this with one of TacoTunes kits.

They are not a popular vendor here, but it was an easy install.

justin13703

Reaction score
The signal is split at the tweeter and goes from there to the door speaker. The door speaker gets full range signal and the tweeter just has a bass blocker installed on it. You don't have to do anything special to keep the factory tweeters. Replacing the door speakers won't affect them.

stan23

Reaction score
The signal is split at the tweeter and goes from there to the door speaker. The door speaker gets full range signal and the tweeter just has a bass blocker installed on it. You don't have to do anything special to keep the factory tweeters. Replacing the door speakers won't affect them.

Thank you! so the tweeters attach to the door speakers? Do I need to do anything special to DIY the door speakers?

I did this with one of TacoTunes kits.

They are not a popular vendor here, but it was an easy install.

Thanks Coupe! I was debating between ordering from them or from Crutchfield

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
Thank you! so the tweeters attach to the door speakers? Do I need to do anything special to DIY the door speakers?

Thanks Coupe! I was debating between ordering from them or from Crutchfield

The wiring basically comes from the radio, to the tweeter, then to the door speaker. The tweeters aren't attached to the door speakers, they're up higher in the door behind the little round grill thing. The only thing you need for the door speakers are the speaker mounts, I had a set from tacotunes but that was about 3 years ago I ordered them. I hear their service now is terrible. So if you can get them from Crutchfield I would do that. Also get the speaker wiring harness adapters.

Top Bottom