Chopping front springs

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Nashman, May 22, 2017.

1. Nashman

Nashman Member

Well i want my truck lower and handle better so

i was debating about being cheap ass and cutting about 2 inhcs off my coils should lower is about 1 inc or so mix with flex form leafs

2. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

One word.....NO

x-runner kid and chatt x like this.
  3. Coupe

Coupe Active Member

Dropped springs are pretty affordable. XII performance has done well by me.

4. BSP06XRU

BSP06XRU Old Member

5. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

What those two said ^^

6. justin13703

justin13703 Active Member

Don't do it

And cutting your springs will definitely not make your truck handle better. It will do just the opposite.

7. SgtBadA

SgtBadA Member

Oh man don't cut the spring. It's already pretty soft. Don't cheap out on this. You will regret it

8. 30Birdy

30Birdy Member

Put these lowering springs on it. PM if interested in purchasing

Attached Files:

9. bluXkid

bluXkid Member

I've been into lowering vehicles for almost 17 years. With that said, I've purchased lowering components and parts, cut coils, installed blocks, pulled leafs, bagged trucks and cars, built full suspensions on a couple trucks etc etc. I first want to say cutting factory coil springs isn't the best idea, however as long as it's not cutting them in half, it's not the worst thing you could do either. Whether it's cutting the stock coils or installing drop coils the amount of camber/toe is ONLY depending on how much it was lowered....not the method used. IE, if you cut a stock coil to lower the same 1.7" of a XII coil, the effects of the suspension are the same meaning the amount of toe/camber is the same. It will ride stiffer but that's about it.
    Long story short, mildly cutting a coil is ok. Don't expect it to absorb, rebound or ride like stock though. It will be rougher. The last thing you wanna do is heat up a coil.

I would recommend a drop coil or SOS spacer though. Good luck.

Keep in mind, stock coils are pigtail styled coil springs. They taper at the bottom. If you cut the tapered section off, you're left with a coil that will not sit correctly in the lower perch.

#9 bluXkid, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  10. o0opackersfano0o

o0opackersfano0o Active Member

just use spacers. cut coils if u want. its not the correct way but tons of people do it all the time. get some wide wheels and tires and she will handle on rails

bluXkid likes this.