Clock Spring Replacement

Discussion in 'How-To' started by crsnfn09, Dec 30, 2014.

1. crsnfn09

crsnfn09 Member

So, I took some leave for the holidays. And what do you know, my clock spring went bad. It started with my horns not working, then I read my codes for something else and I saw an 'Open in Squib D Circuit'. Looked it up and sure enough it was the clock spring. I troubleshot, just to make sure. I've never had stereo control in my steering wheel. As I have an aftermarket head unit, but that is one of the symptoms along with the horns not working. Anyway, I got on the highway and tried cruise control. Sure enough it worked, then I turned and it cut itself off. I knew it was the clock spring after that. So I figured I'd take a little extra time to help some of you guys out that might have the same problem(s) and do a write up.

To get started, you need:
    New clock spring. I got mine from Ebay for about $30 from a reputable seller. So doing this, will obviously save you alot of money, but you could also get one from any Toyota dealer, or an OEM parts store online. Either way doing this yourself will save quite a bit of money.
    Small flathead, or panel removal tool.
    10mm socket, or wrench.
    Phillips screwdriver.
    T30 bit, with 3" extension if using a ratchet.
    19mm socket.
    Paint marker, or sharpie. Anything to mark plastic with.[​IMG]

Optional:
    Steering wheel puller. My steering wheel pretty much fell right off.

So to start, unhook the battery, making sure there's no way power can get back into the vehicle. Also make sure to wait a few minutes to let all the power drain from the vehicle. *REMEMBER* you are working with the airbag system, so one mistake could result in personal injury or damage to yiur vehicle.
    [​IMG]

When all the power has depleted, go inside and pop the two panels off of either side of the steering wheel.
    [​IMG]

Those two T30 screws are what hold in the airbag that you will need to just loosen, they are held in with plastic clips. So don't worry about pulling them all the way out.

There are 3 connections to the airbag, from the clock spring. One ground, and the black and orange connectors you will need to pry up the yellow middle portion with a small flathead to pull each out.
    [​IMG]

After those are disconnected, set the airbag aside, where it will not be disturbed. **I highly recommend either wearing ESD proof gloves or makesure you at least touch a piece of metal once in awhile when you're messing with the airbag.
    [​IMG]

Next, you're going to remove the 19mm nut, holding the steering wheel on. Try to hold the steering wheel from moving too much, when doing this.[​IMG]

Mark the steering wheel, so you can align it correctly when you reinstall it. Once the steering wheel is removed, there are two Phillips screws holding the top and bottom plastic covers together. Remove those, and carefully pull apart the two covers, as to not damage them.
    [​IMG]

Now, there are two connectors at the bottom of the clock spring. Remove them, and you can finally pull out the clock spring.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The clock spring is held in with three plastic clips, one on top and two on either side.

#1 crsnfn09, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  2. crsnfn09

crsnfn09 Member

To install the clock spring, just reverse everything. Double check to make sure all connections are secure before buttoning everything up. Remember to align the steering wheel correctly. There will also be a tab on the new clock spring to keep it centered. Once you get the plastics on, you can snap this off. It's only purpose is the keep the clock spring centered.
    [​IMG]

Good luck guys/gals. Remember, I'm not a certified mechanic, so doing this is at your own risk.

3. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice write-up. :top:

4. crsnfn09

crsnfn09 Member

Thank you :top: all the other write ups I found were out dated, and I saw there weren't any on here, so I figured I'd help you guys out.

5. BSP06XRU

BSP06XRU Old Member

Great write-up. :top:

Honestly, I try not to do any modding when it has to do anything with the airbags.
    I know that once I do, it'll be no problem, but just kinda scares me! :ahhhhh:

Wasn't that part of Toyota's Spiral Cable recall/TSB?

Edit: Nevermind... the recall was for the base model Tacos... not the X-Runners.

6. crsnfn09

crsnfn09 Member

I looked up the recalls on my VIN and the only one they had was for the pretensioner. It could be for others though.

7. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

My airbag light came on. Took it to Toyota and my truck was under recall. Guess I was lucky I have a regular Taco.

#7 Torspd, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  8. crsnfn09

crsnfn09 Member

Ohh yeah, that's another symptom, the airbag light can also come on. But yeah, I guess you are lucky lol.

9. crsnfn09

crsnfn09 Member

Yeah, I was kinda afraid to do it myself at first, then I actually had it go bad, and saw the prices of them. Then I figured a dealer would charge an arm and a leg for something so simple. So I said screw it, and had no problems at all. You just have to be extra careful with the airbag, cause a small mistake could make it go boom. :ahhhhh: