Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Clutch Replacement Advice

sntckr

Reaction score
Fellas,

Struggling with what to do with my transmission on my lifted double cab. Clutch has been slipping for a while, but didn't want to put any money into the truck until Toyota confirmed it would replace my frame. It looks like I am finally getting a new frame. I always want the best of all worlds...I have 33" tires and armor body weight on top of my TRD S/C w/ 2.85 pulley. I will absolutely be getting a new clutch disc and pressure plate. I am not currently doing any serious off-roading, but still want some flywheel inertia for minor off-roading, mud, jeep trails, etc. I don't know yet if my flywheel just needs to be resurfaced or if it needs to be replaced. I also don't want to make the truck undriveable for the wifey who already doesn't like to drive it anyway. I am at 90K miles with lots of abuse on the tranny between off-roading, having fun on the street, and bad habits. I would like for whatever I do last longer than 90K, but I recognize that may not necessarily be an option. Should I go with stock clutch disc and pressure plate or a URD option, like Stage 2? If the flywheel is trashed, should I just replace it with stock? I am concerned that lightweight might not suit my driving, but I don't know???

Cheers.

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
URD offers a heavier flywheel (more inertia, great for offroading) or a lightened steel one which isn't as miserable to drive as an aluminum one. My experience with the aluminum is that's its fun to accelerate at high rpm, but sucked for daily city driving. I wouldn't do it again

sntckr

Reaction score
Thanks man. I appreciate you sharing your experience. I don't like the lag getting into 4th and 5th gear, but I recognize I spend more shifts in the first 3 gears. I don't want a heavier fly based upon what I have heard so far...

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Call and talk to @Gadget. Explain your intended use. He'll point you in the right direction. I've got the lightweight steel and the stage 2 clutch. TRD S/C w/ 2.825 pulley. No slipping after 25k

SoFloBlue

Reaction score
It sounds like a stock flywheel is for you. You don't do a lot of off road but you do some so I would put you right in the middle. Not light weight because you do go off road and not the heavy one because you don't frequently off road... does that make sense ? As for clutch I'd say upgrade so when you do abuse it the clutch can handle it.

FinnJ

Reaction score
I have about the same situation, the clutch started to slip under hardest acceleration if repeated couple times. I’ve considered about URD stage 2 or Centerforce DF240098 Dual Friction. Going to the Centerforce, because URD’s clutch is said to have heavier pedal force. I’m also interested about URD Heavy-U flywheel, but maybe I am not changing it. Here is one good review of it: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/urd-torque-u-heavy-flywheel.510812/

XMPLRY808

Reaction score
For your needs I would stay stock fly wheels with upgraded clutch

easts1d3

Reaction score
I have the competition clutch stage 3 and I love it. Ive had it in the truck for about 130,000 kms. The pedal feel is a lot stiffer then stock though.

rexrunner

Reaction score
Call and talk to @Gadget. Explain your intended use. He'll point you in the right direction. I've got the lightweight steel and the stage 2 clutch. TRD S/C w/ 2.825 pulley. No slipping after 25k
25k? 2.5k is proper and i agree the comp clutches are proper

sntckr

Reaction score
Okay. Talked to Gadget and went with the URD Stage 2. Also, bought the throwout bearing sleeve. I am just going to resurface the stock flywheel since it suits me fine. The dealership wants $710 labor to "replace the clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and rear main seal and resurface the flywheel." Since they are replacing my frame, they are already taking the motor connected to the tranny out of the truck. Do you guys feel this is a fair labor price given the motor and tranny are already out and all they have to do is split them apart? I am in Ohio, so labor rates shouldn't be horribly high, but the service rep failed to answer my question in my last email to him on rates. I figure it is $80/hour. Also, I don't see any reason for the URD clutch to cost any more in labor than the OEM quote I got. What is a fair amount of labor hours for Toyota to ask for to install the URD throwout sleeve?

o0opackersfano0o

Reaction score
The tsb for replacing the throw out bearing only paid 2.2 hours. I feel like $710 is quite a bit. I feel like around $450 should be more like it. But that's just my guess.

sntckr

Reaction score
The rep answered my question about rates. $105/hour. They want 6.75 hours for the work mentioned above.

Top Bottom