Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Clutch went out

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Well, looks like I get to deal with the stealership tomorrow morning. :thumpdown:

Clutch went out on me tonight. Any bit of advice or tips to help get it replaced under warranty??

Update 1
So my parents came into town this weekend to bottle wine, and some other stuff. But they have dealt with dealerships, my step dad use to work as a mech in a dealership and they usually get what they want.

So anyways, we went to a local dealer and spoke with the service manager, explained our situation, and informed him about the phone call I had with one of the service reps (they won't cover it, etc). Well he started off saying that the clutch will only go out at 15k because of abuse. BS! Defective parts will cause a clutch to go out. So my parents basically took over the conversation. They wanted to talked to the Toyota Rep regarding the cust service (that they have denied warranty without even looking at the truck). That quickly turned things around, they paid to have the truck towed in Sat night, and they will take it apart first thing monday morning. And it turns out a Rep will be there tomorrow, so we've requested that the rep work with us to resolve this issue. They have even said that they can give me a loaner vehicle on Monday. So we'll see what happens.

Update 2
Toyota is replacing the clutch, the flywheel and the transmission all under warranty. A toyota rep just happened to be at the dealer today, and looked at the clutch, and decided it was best to replace the entire transmission, so they wouldn't have to worry about this happening again.

277180940_938335186_0.jpg

277182134_938339508_0.jpg

277181383_938336784_0.jpg

591bca1a.jpg

Last edited:

Hi_On_X

Reaction score
I dont know if the dealer will warranty the clutch work because it a wear and tear item like brake pads and etc.... Thw only way the dealer will warranty is something went completely wrong with the tranny, good luck tho....

x-stealth

Reaction score
its not going to be easy either with all the aftermarket items you have installed.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
what aftermarket items are those?

trd s/c, k&n cai, dtlt, urd catback, b&m ss.

But the truck runs fine, clutch just won't engage. It goes into gear just fine, but when I pull the clutch you can hear it just spinning, and the truck won't move. Even from a 10mph roll clutch wouldn't engage. :thumpdown:

*EDIT
So I just got off the phone with toyota, they won't cover it under warranty, the say the warranty on the clutch is only good for 12k miles..wtf?

Last edited:
Reaction score
you can absolutely fry a clutch in 12k I'm surprised they warranty it for that long, time for a centerforce

Vince77

Reaction score
Yep time upgrade. How miles do you have on your truck anyway?

lucke

Reaction score
So I just got off the phone with toyota, they won't cover it under warranty, the say the warranty on the clutch is only good for 12k miles..wtf?
isn't the clutch part of the powertrain? and the powertrain warranty is 30k?

Hi_On_X

Reaction score
isn't the clutch part of the powertrain? and the powertrain warranty is 30k?
Powertrain warranty is like internal gears breaks or something, But clutch is wear and tear so im pretty sure they wont warranty that, but if they do your lucky sob.... Haha...

Jason just dont tell dealer that you autocross!

XrunnIT

Reaction score
So now that I'm replacing the clutch I think I'm going to go aftermarket. Any recommendations?

I know Xample is selling the C2C clutch, I PM'd him about it but haven't heard back. The only other clutch I know of is the Centerforce. Anybody know of any other brands that I can look into?

lucke

Reaction score
i'd go with the NEW centerforce instead of a USED clutch with wear on it... plus centerforce is a great company... too bad you can't wait for the fidenza flywheel to come out as well

TACOMATOSED

Reaction score
So now that I'm replacing the clutch I think I'm going to go aftermarket. Any recommendations?

I know Xample is selling the C2C clutch, I PM'd him about it but haven't heard back. The only other clutch I know of is the Centerforce. Anybody know of any other brands that I can look into?

XAMPLE WONT BE ON THE SITE UNTIL HE GETS OFF FROM WORK THIS EVENING..SO GIVE HIM A FEW IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN HIS C2C CLUTCH :top:

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
XAMPLE WONT BE ON THE SITE UNTIL HE GETS OFF FROM WORK THIS EVENING..SO GIVE HIM A FEW IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN HIS C2C CLUTCH :top:

Geoff, STOP YELLING!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT KIND OF FRIGGIN FREAK YELLS ON A THREAD LIKE THIS?!?!?

(just kidding... for those that don't know his work computer has to be on CAPS LOCK for the software to work right) :laugh:

XrunnIT

Reaction score

TACOMATOSED

Reaction score
Geoff, STOP YELLING!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT KIND OF FRIGGIN FREAK YELLS ON A THREAD LIKE THIS?!?!?

(just kidding... for those that don't know his work computer has to be on CAPS LOCK for the software to work right) :laugh:

That's why i put a thumbs up smiley....:biggrin:
NOW LEAVE ME ALONE KLINT!...:eviltongue:

I'm gonna apologize for K2 jacking your thread too...:thumpdown:

Alejandro

Reaction score
They should i had a problem with my clutch when it only had 7k on it, but they said it was transmissionm prob, so got new tranny and only 7k miles on it. when my truck reach to 19k my clutch peddle was very hard and drivin it in town suck. took it in for another check up and it turnd out my clutch and pressure plate were pretty mych glued toghether due to hard drivend?:driver:. but since it was my second time taking it in for same reason as last time and it wassent over 30k dealer replace my clutch flywheel and preassure plate.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Nicely done, doubt I'm going to be that lucky, particularly because of my mods. Plus they said that out of warranty it would run about $1300. So i'm just going to get the Centerforce clutch kit, and take it to a tranny shop that quoted me $320 for labor if i bring in the parts.

hrspwr236

Reaction score
it sounds like i had the same problem a while ago, it was a cold start up, i let it sit for a minute or two and then when i went to put it in gear it went in fine but when i let out of the clutch and gave it gas, nothing happended didnt this a second time and third time it worked:dontknow: i have noticed lately that my clutch is real ruff in the mornigs and doesnt shift smooth into geat untils its warmed up

Alejandro

Reaction score
i talked to one of the service advisors from toyota and he told me that if from the beginning your clutch is hard, and softens when your truck warms up then it means(possibly atleast in my case) your pressure plates and clutch are stuck together. if your truck is under 30k miles then i suggest you take it in i have pictures of my clutch i will post them in a bit

Top Bottom