Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Creaking clutch (how to fix)

X-Runnin

Reaction score
I have to redo this every time it gets REALLY hot, all winter I never heard it once, but the first time it reached 85+ it started squeaking if I don't rotate it weekly or so

JakeX

Reaction score
thats awesome... im gonna go vacuum out my truck and fix that clutch! the squeak is driving me crazy which is kinda ironic since were the ones driving the clutch into the floor:laugh:

rich017

Reaction score
i just got mine taken care of the past weekend. its a ~2 hour job to replace the pedal, bushing and something else.

thats why we have a TSB and warranty for.

2 hr jib my ass!!! They told me it would take them 3 hrs to put new horns on my truck!

JakeX

Reaction score
my clutch felt sticky really, didnt squeak that bad but it really felt sticky, its fixed!! i moved the shaft to where i couldnt see the white dot, and it is perfect now.

KX7

Reaction score
Aloha guys. I think this might help. I've had the creaky clutch before. I work for Toyota and the first repair under the TSB lasted for about 6 months. The creak came back worse than ever. I think I found the problem and solution. The clutch pedal arm is a composite (plastic) material and the pivot point on the plunger shaft mates in the back. What I've noticed is that over time the shaft has a tendency to rotate alittle, enough so that the pivot point binds and causes a creak that is heard and felt in the pedal as it's depressed. Mine creaked and vibrated on the first initial travel of 1 1/2 to 2 inches. All I did was to rotate (center) the shaft untill it felt like it was in the pocket again. Squeak, creak and vibration is gone. The cure was instant and has not returned for 2 months now. As an experiment I rotated the shaft as if it was out of line and the creak returned. To me the problem is identified and solved on my X. Try this it may work and save you a trip to the dealer. BTW, I didn't lube the pivot at all. I hope this helps. The creaky cluch drove me nuts!

Steve

It works mines was starting to do that a few months ago and it was getting worse as time went by so I followed your post step by step and its been a few weeks now and nothing no noise no squeak nothing its like when I first got my truck I'm happy as hell a big thanks to you Steve u da bes!!:rock:

arizona_x-runner

Reaction score
Just did mine tonight.

F*ck n' a! God, it's like it was when I bought her new... quiet! What a simple fix indeed! Thanks to all with the info on this simple fix. :rock:

Last edited:

BlackCat

Reaction score
Thanks for the info ! Instead of a all day battle with the dealer, had mine fixed in 13seconds... :top:

xXLuckyiAMXx07

Reaction score
lol yea man **** my sqweaking came back today....haha i dont trust dealership either..i just sorted turn my music up to ignore and put lithium grease

SickRedXRnr

"OK, Good Talk"
Reaction score
man this is amazing!!!! thank god i saw this thread tonight... im in colorado right now working so i dont have the truck to do it today... so tonight is going to be like christmas eve... waiting for tomorrow when i get home. I kid you not, the second i get into my truck im going to grab a wrench, turn that stupid squeeking shaft, and HOPE to god it goes away for good.... even if it comes back after 6 months thats fine... just turn it again right? lol thank you for this thread... ill let you all know how it goes tomorrow :top:

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
yep this works so far has not squeaked like before. sometimes you will hear a faint squeak when the weather get really hot, all you have to do is turn it alittle and it will go away.

07XRsteve

Reaction score
My 07 did the same thing I took it to the dealer and they told me it was normal so I told them i wasnt leaving until they fixed it. Then they tried to tell me it was do to hard driving conditions so i flipped out and they ended up paying for it so i was happy:biggrin:

BlueRider

Reaction score
I bought an '07 Xrunner two weeks ago (on a cold day). Two days later it got up to 70 degrees and I realized I had the creaky clutch. I turned the shaft as recommended in this thread and no more creak. It took about two seconds to find and about 3 seconds to fix. Thanks for the info guys.

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
Yeah boyeee it's that season again. Who needs Groundhog Day when we have clutch pedals? Mine started squeaking again about a month ago, lol.

RedXr

Reaction score
Had to do this a couple days ago. Just as described, I moved the "shaft" in the middle and havent heard the noise since. Glad this was stickied. Thanks guys!

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
2009 with 5000 miles and the damn thing was squeeking like crazy WTF?

glad I found this thread, thanks guys

lowchef

Reaction score
creaky

well my clutch started creaking alot after i recently took it to the dealer and they lathered it in grease......i found this thread and astonishly enough i fixed it in 30 secs.....weird it's amazing how techs at toyota dont't know the simple fix and yet they slab grease all over instead....:top:

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
My clutch squeaking came back a while ago and I took it in to the dealer.

The TBS was expired, but I was still under warranty so they fixed it for me.

If you are still under warranty, take it in! It is more then just a "grease" job:

Toyota P/N / Description
31404-04010 / Clevis, Sub-Assy, Cyl
31311-04011 / Pedal, Clutch
90386-14015 / Bush

Parts $215.21
Mechanical Labor $104.50
-------------------------------
TOTAL CHARGES $319.71

Still being under warranty: Priceless ($0.00):top:

Here's mo old thread about it:
http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=15503

Raf1

Reaction score
Aloha from Makaha, i have the same problem on my '09, can i use the same steps on mine? dont know if urs is the same year...Raf

Top Bottom