Custom Suspension Shocks

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by RacerX, Oct 1, 2018.

1. RacerX

RacerX OneNastyMan

If anybody is like me with the DJM 3/3 with 20X10.5 all the way around, then you probably are desperate for coil-overs too. I've been looking for quality suspension for my X ever since XII quit making them. So far, I got a hold of 3 well known companies.

1. Tein - They have offered to make me a suspension setup completely customized starting at $1500 w/ fronts being coil-overs. That includes front and rears. They have a 3 month lead time seeing how I have to send them my existing shocks and they'll have them sent over to Japan for the build to have them make a fully complete kit with brackets and all. Depending on the setup, which I plan to make it for the circuit, it'll be higher in cost. I used their Circuit Masters on my Evo X and I can vouche for them as my Evo was mainly a track car and handled like a god

2. BC Coilovers - I'm waiting on a reply from them, however, the lead time for them is 2 weeks. I'm waiting on the price.

3. Ohlins - I'm waiting on a reply from them, however, I think the lead time might be as long as Tein seeing how they are based out of Sweden. But Man, do I like Ohlins.

So far, I plan on going with a spring rate of 10k (600ish lbs/in) linear for the front with a monotube design (i know, it'll be pretty bumpy) and dampening adjustable. For the rears, I'm going to try and get a monotube design as well with dampening adjustable capable of handling 3000lbs load capacity.

It'll be expensive, at least more than the QA-1's. But if anyone is interested in going in with me, I'll keep you guys posted. Also, if anyone has there stock struts, I could use them so I'm not assed out of a truck possibly 3 months.

ToyotaNewbie97 likes this.
  2. SOHCmyDOHC

SOHCmyDOHC Member

That would be interesting. So would it be something we can order later down the road or it’s a “one-off”? Mono tube would be awesome but not sure how folks here would like the bumpy ride.

3. AZ Sun Lover

AZ Sun Lover Member

Hmm...
    Another member found Vi-king double adjustable shocks (copy cat QA1's) but with a better price point.
    Plus I think I'm going to list my new un-installed QA1's with mounts & 525# springs shortly.
    I maybe losing my position at work because of a bad surgeon and having to find another surgeon to fix the 1st surgeon mistake. I've will have been out of work for a year half on (edit) Nov. 16th. :(

#3 AZ Sun Lover, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  4. SOHCmyDOHC

SOHCmyDOHC Member

Sorry to hear about the surgeon issue. Happened to my coworker too.

5. RacerX

RacerX OneNastyMan

Sorry to hear that man. My co-worker is in the same boat from him getting side swiped.

SOHCmyDOHC: nah, it's going to be a one-off'er. It seems like the market is not in our favor.

Also, Tein is the only one that got back with me. I'll check out the viking post and see how that deal is.

6. SOHCmyDOHC

SOHCmyDOHC Member

I just actually got in touch with a fab guy that’s willing to build up tophats but we would need 10 units. Cost will hopefully be around $200 but guy has to do the figures. Would you be interested in tophats?

7. RacerX

RacerX OneNastyMan

Most definetly!! Count me in.

8. SOHCmyDOHC

SOHCmyDOHC Member

I’ll let you know once the fab guy runs his numbers and makes a prototype.