DDM Tuning HID Kit issues

Discussion in 'Exterior Modifications' started by Iggy08, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Iggy08

Iggy08 Member

After seeing DDM Tuning mentioned a lot in forums, I purchased their lower end 55W kit with some 6k bulbs. Both ballasts went out on me about 6 months after install, so I followed up with the lifetime warranty and had them ship me new ones. It took a bit of convincing for them to cover the shipping, and they first sent me a harness since both ballasts were having issues. It seemed to be working fine again until about 3 months ago when the passenger bulb went out. Out of laziness, I did not file a warranty claim and just installed the original bulb. Two weeks ago, the driver side went out as well but I have no more bulbs to test whether it is the ballast or the bulb. :/

I have already contacted DDM Tuning and going through their warranty procedure, but I don't know if it's worth re-installing them in my truck. Daniel from DDM called me a few minutes ago stating that Tacomas have had issues with that kit, and that I would need to upgrade to their Ultra Canbus HID kit in order to ensure functionality. He said that the Ultra Canbus has the components needed to run on Tacomas. (I'm not sure what he means by that because he just repeated himself when I asked what the difference was between the kit I have and the Ultra Canbus)

TL;DR - DDM Tuning 55W kit has been a pain, anyone else familiar with them?

2. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

I've had a 35 watt ddm fog light kit in my truck for 5 years. Only ever had to replace bulbs. I didn't buy the cheapest kit though. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Either I've been lucky or you got a couple lemons.

3. justin13703

justin13703 Active Member

I had ddm hid headlights and fog lights in my truck for like 4 years with no issues. I don't understand why you would need to upgrade to the canbus setup since there is nothing "canbus" about a Tacoma. That is mostly for chryslers.

All you should need is the relay harness and a good install. Meaning no moisture getting to the bulbs or ballasts, and good grounds.

Btw, 55 watt hids are EXTREMELY bright to have in anything but a high end projector housing.

4. 30Birdy

30Birdy Member

35 Watt should be plenty especially in factory housing, not legal. Just make sure you aim them so as not to blind on coming traffic. I have these is in 2 of my vehicles with no issues going on 4 years now.

5. Braking Bad

Braking Bad Member

It might be the 55w ballasts. I have 50w ballast from the retrofit source for a year and half with no problems. But i noticed they don't warranty the 50w balasts as long as the 35w. 3 instead of 5 years.

Could you use different balast with your harness? Or have them send you 35w replacements?

6. nick_gz1

nick_gz1 Active Member

use the vendor here, light source. I've had his HID's for almost 5 years and yellow fog lights with not one issue yet! I haven't seen him around in a while but i'm sure he's lurking.

7. ryanschmidt

ryanschmidt Member

I used their 55w 6k kit and had a couple problems with the bulbs consistently burning out. I decided to leave it be and order a set from another manufacturer

8. whippersnapper02

Had their lights on my quad for 4 years without issue but they are China junk. The scatter light output from a HID in a reflective housing didn't help while riding anyway so they came off.

#8 whippersnapper02, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  9. throwinsparksatu

I have ran the ddm 35 watt on 4 vehicles, had bulbs last for 6 years before replacing, customer service isn't the greatest as some kits are straight from China but a a third of morimoto cost I'm ok with it .