Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Deeper Oil Sump & pick up

PiNkY

Reaction score
Coupe is full of great ideas - ive been to his lab where all the idea's come to life. This guy has the tools and the know how - if anyone is to do this James is hands down on the top of the list for creating new products.

Coupe

Reaction score
The baffle in the oil pan trick has been around for years, so this is no Coupe brainstorm. I am just using ideas that have been around for awhile.

The trap door part is actually a BMW part and is in the oil pan of some BMWs.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have actually been commented to on YouTube by people that have had spun a bearing, on the clover loops in Dallas. Those aren't that hard of a turn either.

The only form of protection available, until this comes out, is to make sure you have a full 5 quarts of oil in your motor. If you are running 4.5 you are chancinga bad thing.

5000XD

Reaction score
Man, good thing, for the last 3 oil refills I've put 5 quarts in there consistently.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
The only fear of running to much oil would be the chance of the crank counter weight hitting the oil and aerating it....But if you add exactly 5, there shouldn't be any issue. Expeciialy considering there oil pan sub assembly puts a good amount of clearance between em...

I would love to see this product be out before the next drift event....:top:

5000XD

Reaction score
Good point, adding tooo much is just as bad lol.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
The only fear of running to much oil would be the chance of the crank counter weight hitting the oil and aerating it....But if you add exactly 5, there shouldn't be any issue. Expeciialy considering there oil pan sub assembly puts a good amount of clearance between em...

I would love to see this product be out before the next drift event....:top:

As long as you fill your oil to the "Full" indicator on the dip stick, it will be at the same level as it is now when full. Just with more oil beneath it. So you won't have to worry about oil hitting our blunt blade cranks.

Tunedx

Reaction score
I have actually been commented to on YouTube by people that have had spun a bearing, on the clover loops in Dallas. Those aren't that hard of a turn either.

The only form of protection available, until this comes out, is to make sure you have a full 5 quarts of oil in your motor. If you are running 4.5 you are chancinga bad thing.

BTW!! Recommeded oil w filter drained is 4.8 quarts

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
As long as you fill your oil to the "Full" indicator on the dip stick, it will be at the same level as it is now when full. Just with more oil beneath it. So you won't have to worry about oil hitting our blunt blade cranks.

I was referring to now, as in stock oil pan. Incase anybody thought of adding more than 5 quarts...

But good point, I was actually wondering how the dip stick would work with a deeper oil pan. Still can't wait to see this.

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
I'm guessing I have the 4x4 pan. Not only did I look at my pan but I also broke out the manual, again. It says without a oil filter my engine needs 4.9 qt. with an oil filter it needs 5.5 qts. I'm sorry if this isn't relevant but I just wanna know if I need the mod cause if I do count me in!

SX TOY

Reaction score
I'm guessing I have the 4x4 pan. Not only did I look at my pan but I also broke out the manual, again. It says without a oil filter my engine needs 4.9 qt. with an oil filter it needs 5.5 qts. I'm sorry if this isn't relevant but I just wanna know if I need the mod cause if I do count me in!

this mod wouldn't apply to your truck. your pan is deeper and slightly differently shaped.

Coupe

Reaction score
Parts are at the machinist. I hope to have something back in a week.

Jwall

Reaction score
We will see how this goes and the final cost, i might be interested. I want the set up but depends on the timing.

Super Werty

Reaction score
machinist.jpg

SOHCmyDOHC

Reaction score
Would a louvered baffle work? If the traps are hinged, isn't that another possible point of failure (ie if the hinge breaks it will be sucked up by the pick up and engine goes boom).

I like the idea of more oil either way. How tall is the oem pan? Looks like the pan height is putting a crinkle in my plans if putting a 1GR in an older Toyota. ;)

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Pan height on an X-runner is not very deep at all. I believe that's the reason behind this mod.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
If a hinge breaks, which is Highly doubtful, it won't get sucked into the pickup. It has a hard metal mesh screen over it. Then it goes into the filter. Nothing to worth about there because even then, the hinges aren't big enough to cover the whole pick up.

Also, yes. This is due to the fact that lower oil pan is so shallow. To add to that, the pick up isn't even in the deepest part of the oil pan. It is in the shallowest. Honestly it makes no sense at all. There is literally about a half inch of clearance between the pick up and the shallowest part of the pan.

To much spirited cornering and not enough oil on the OEM setup, is a sure fire way to total motor failure.

SOHCmyDOHC

Reaction score
If the pick up gets blocked there will be oil starvation also. Depending on material used harmonics will come into play. I'm just mentioning things that may happen. Yes, chances are slim but I would be the first one to find out.

Top Bottom