Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Deeper Oil Sump & pick up

Coupe

Reaction score
The trap doors come from BMW. This is a stock item in some of their oil pans.

Many aftermarket oil pans have trap doors. Many are hinged and in steel. I have one on my 34 Coupe. It was an option on many of Shelby's Mustangs in the 60's.

x20Runner05

Reaction score
I'm guessing I have the 4x4 pan. Not only did I look at my pan but I also broke out the manual, again. It says without a oil filter my engine needs 4.9 qt. with an oil filter it needs 5.5 qts. I'm sorry if this isn't relevant but I just wanna know if I need the mod cause if I do count me in!

OIL CAPACITY (drain and refill):
With filter: 4.5 L (4.8 US qt., 4.0 Imp. qt.)
Without filter: 4.2 L (4.4 US qt., 3.7 Imp. qt.)
I use the deep toyota filter from work and i use i think it was 5qts last time i changed my oil. But i will be doing it soon so i will update for sure.

SOHCmyDOHC

Reaction score
The trap doors come from BMW. This is a stock item in some of their oil pans.

Many aftermarket oil pans have trap doors. Many are hinged and in steel. I have one on my 34 Coupe. It was an option on many of Shelby's Mustangs in the 60's.

In no way did I mean to come across disrespectful. If I did I am sorry.

I'll keep quiet till the prototype comes out.

But before I do I'd just like to say kudos to coupe for his innovations.:adore::top:

burnboy

Reaction score
Yeah dude, I'm in. No questions, when its ready, count me in.

Coupe

Reaction score
In no way did I mean to come across disrespectful. If I did I am sorry.

I'll keep quiet till the prototype comes out.

But before I do I'd just like to say kudos to coupe for his innovations.:adore::top:

Your comments were not taken to be bad. I was just clarifying the reasons why, I went a certain direction.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
And people ask what makes a BMW so expensive. It is in the details. This part is the endeavor to make a sub-par system, above average.

OIL CAPACITY (drain and refill):
With filter: 4.5 L (4.8 US qt., 4.0 Imp. qt.)
Without filter: 4.2 L (4.4 US qt., 3.7 Imp. qt.)
I use the deep toyota filter from work and i use i think it was 5qts last time i changed my oil. But i will be doing it soon so i will update for sure.

Always make sure that the oil level on the dip stick is on the top dot.

Last edited:

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
Why don't you try to make a kit that drops in the existing oil pan. Like a tray with the flaps on it that you would lock in position.

burnboy

Reaction score
The deeper sump allows for more oil capacity which also will keep oil temps cooler. Deeper sump and deeper pichup tube ftw!

PiNkY

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this design is like a spacer that will be placed between the pan and engine. No exchange needed except for money in his hand maybe :laugh:

Coupe

Reaction score
There will probably going to be two versions of this.

One will be a simple spacer, with no baffling or trap doors.

One will be a modified oil pan with baffles and trap doors.

Why don't you try to make a kit that drops in the existing oil pan. Like a tray with the flaps on it that you would lock in position.

I am also trying to get extra oil capacity. A drop in tray could offer baffling, but no extra capacity.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
some pics for reference...thanks to Torspd:top:

here are the pics once again, just to refresh.

CIMG2948.jpg

CIMG2952.jpg

CIMG2954.jpg

Illustrates the necessity for this such product.

Coupe

Reaction score
The machine shop has been dragging their feet. I saw it last week. It was welded up. It needed to have the face milled flat and the bolt pattern drilled. It looked pretty good.

Sorry no pics.

Gadget

Reaction score
What sucks is I had a 4x4 oil pan assembly sitting around here collecting dust. I wish I knew it would fit on the truck.

I gave it away to a guy that got his smashed in when his diff brackets snapped 4 wheeling.

This Coupe oil pan idea is a very good one. I can't wait to get mine.

G

KETCHUP

Reaction score
Ill have to take a look, but I think the wifey's V6 Tundy has a deeper oil pan than the X. Dunno, maybe just how I was looking at it.

Id be interested in one myself. :)

darthyota

Reaction score
Ill have to take a look, but I think the wifey's V6 Tundy has a deeper oil pan than the X. Dunno, maybe just how I was looking at it.

Id be interested in one myself. :)
what you have a v6 tundy? i thought they only came with the 4.7/4.6 or the 5.7

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
The 1st gen tundra had a V6 option (as does the new one) but with the 3.4 you could get it TRD boosted from the dealer.

Top Bottom