Discussing New Tacoma 2016 Powertrain

Discussion in 'F/I Mods & Tuning' started by iniazy, Jan 20, 2015.

1. KrazyIvan

KrazyIvan Member

The way the market has been heading, the only options and features we will be getting are lazy people creature comfort ones that make the cars even more house on wheels (than they already are). I do not need any more laser guided this, radar controller that, self park this, computer performed everything else.

And I have nothing against turbo charging. I think they are awesome, but not always in every application. I have been driving every iteration of Ford's EcoBoost models for the last 7 months (Focus, Fusion, Escape, F150, etc) and everyone of them still exhibits typical turbo characteristics (boost lag, off-power band slugishness, lack of low end torque, etc). Granted they miles betters than turbos of the past plus all were automatics. However, I still don't want any hint of that sh*t in my truck. I want immediate low end torque, I want smooth power delivery, so on and so forth. it is an effing truck. And I don't think we will be getting McLarren P1 "torque fill" electronic motor system for these turbos any time soon.

However, I do agree that all these regulations aren't helping any of this. And, yes, we do not know all of the facts or impressions yet...so a lot of this is typical enthusiast :argh: 'bout how our options have sucked, currently suck, and will suck even more. :laugh:

2. justin13703

justin13703 Active Member

^ I agree completely about all the fancy laser guided computer controlled crap in vehicles these days. It makes it damn near impossible to diagnose or repair anything yourself. That was one of the things I liked about my x runner, was that toyota, at the time, didn't fill their vehicles with computers and data systems. Changing out your radio didn't make the truck not start lol

3. SgtBadA

SgtBadA Active Member

Im not sure if i like this new engine, i havent driven it but computer controls are getting out of hand now days. I think they are trying to hard to increase MPG because of government regulations. Im surprised that they havent gone turbocharged like most everyone else. A diesel engine would be nice but i think with an option like thay it would send the price of the tacoma higher than the tundra. Diesel emissions are expensive. Even though diesel emissions arent regulated after purchase they have to install so many extra sensors and filters because of the EPA. Plus with all these extra emissions on diesel exhaust i wouldnt buy it anyways

4. Iggy08

Iggy08 Member

I'm happy enough with my '05 X's mileage, average almost 21mpg or 19 if I'm a bit more hard on it. But I am interested in diesel engines hitting the US. I remember a review of a diesel car on TopGear a few years back. They said the car did something like 60mpg.

Even though diesel is more expensive right now, gas is bound to jump back up sooner than later unfortunately. Also, I'm sure it is a lot better value when you compare the cost per mile instead. I've calculated the 'improvement' costs of Premium gas on my X an did not see a significant enough improvement to validate the price difference over Regular.

Just to put it out there, what's the point of a theoretical top speed if you never have enough road to actually reach it? I'm sold on the idea of a GOOD diesel engine (probably not made in the US)

5. iniazy

iniazy Active Member

My experience with 1GR old gen is regular fuel will cost you some power, and will result in minor knocking. Not just about better fuel consumption. I only use premium to aleviate those symptoms.

I'm definitely up for a diesel motor. And Toyota has it in its parts bin. Just needs the right market to fit it.

6. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

The 1GR runs just fine on regular fuel here in the US.

I did some testing before I supercharged my truck and found that it made the very same power on the dyno and got better MPG, just a hair better, than premium.

I run regular in my 5.7 as well.

Now keep in mind that our octane is rated differently than yours. So our 87 might be like 84 or 85, maybe less with your regular if it was rated the same.

G

7. iniazy

iniazy Active Member

Our regular is 91 RON (Research Octane Number), and premium is 95 RON. You use MON (Mean Octane Number).

Strange, I really felt a big difference between the two types. Regular had much worse consumption than premium.

8. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

US uses (R+M)/2 method

Actual octane rating table
    EURO RON MON US: (R+M)/2
    90 83 86.5
    92 85 88.5
    95 87 91
    96 88 92
    98 90 94
    100 91.5 95.75
    105 95 100
    110 99 104.5

9. KrazyIvan

KrazyIvan Member

Yeah, good luck with that in California. I nearly grenaded my old WRX's engine when I moved from Chicago to San Francisco. The car was tuned for 93. I thought "how bad could 91 be? I will just baby it until I find a tuner". Yeah right, knocked and ran like crap (even with octane boosters). Almost had a heart attack couple times thinking engine finally had it. I think I lost something like ~20-25 whp on the re-tune :argh:

I put 87 in my XR. Once. Nope. Not happening in that state. I will guess Cali 91 is more like 87 everywhere else :laugh:

10. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

Cali gas is the worst. Cali 91 is like MD's 89.

If you can tune a forced induction system on Cali gas it will run anywhere.

G

11. sdxrunner619

sdxrunner619 Active Member

False. It technically closer to the engine from the gs450h. Just not coupled to a hybrid Power plant . The normal is and gs350 are not Atkinson cycle. Makes less power then then the normal engine but get the eclectic boost and more then makes up for it.:top:

12. iniazy

iniazy Active Member

That is strange! Maybe our gas is like California's.

13. iniazy

iniazy Active Member

That's even worse. That means there's really no boosted engine like it anywehre. It will be reinventing the wheel.

14. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

I will bet your gas is better, but the octane is low.

California gas is very strange. The blend the CARB people specify is just a horrible performer and really saps the power from a forced induction engine badly.

G

15. iniazy

iniazy Active Member

Ah that explains. Makes sense.

16. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

If it was anyone other than the government pushing that blend the government would go after them for fraud.

G

17. alexxwing

alexxwing Active Member

So back to the 2016 looks like they used the same cab and maybe even bed is this just another face lift with a new engine? I wanted a new truck not a half new half oldish truck

18. KrazyIvan

KrazyIvan Member

Oh jeez, exactly how bad are our blends?! :argh: :laugh:

...though I can see Commifornia applying such logic to just about everything in the state. I guess government hates competition!

19. shane881510

shane881510 Active Member

I read that the 16 has new six speed trannys. Wonder if it's any better than ours now.

20. iniazy

iniazy Active Member

They have a new six speed for the four cylinder, and a new six-speed manual for the 2GR, which are the only real innovations here. Otherwise the 2GR engine has always been mated to a six speed automatic.