Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Do Aftermarket speakers really sound that much better than stock?

morcheez

Reaction score
Not to knock you, but I have never understood the idea of running a good sub with stock mids and highs.....:dontknow:
Honestly, no offense in any way man....

i just havent wanted to spend the money on speakers and all of the adapters yet ...i have speakers so its not a priority i want stuff i dont have at all yet :top:...and no offense taken sir :biggrin:

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score
i just havent wanted to spend the money on speakers and all of the adapters yet ...i have speakers so its not a priority i want stuff i dont have at all yet :top:...and no offense taken sir :biggrin:

Cool beans Bro!!

thunderkat1

Reaction score
Can you let use know what you're running for a set up, and include prices for what you bought..

What do you think of this set up:

Deck: ($250.00)
Pioneer DEH-P6000UB
CD receiver with built-in MOSFET amplifier (14 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
  • Easy EQ 7-band equalizer with six preset tone settings
  • loudness
  • Sound Retriever for improving sound of compressed music files
  • high- and low-pass filters

Front Speakers: ($70.00)

Kicker KS693 6x9's
  • 3-way 6" x 9" speakers (pair)
  • CIMP (Curvilinear Injection-Molded Polypropylene) woofer cone with Santoprene™ surround
  • 1" titanium dome tweeter
  • 3/4" titanium dome tweeter
  • certified for marine use
  • power range: 5-100 watts RMS (300 watts peak power)
  • frequency response: 30-21,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 92 dB
  • top-mount depth: 3-1/4"
Rear Speakers: ($100.00)

Pioneer TS-A1682R 6 1/2's
  • 6-1/2"/6-3/4" 4-way car speakers (pair)
  • injection-molded polypropylene (IMPP) woofer with Aramid fiber and butyl rubber surround
  • 1/2" PET dome tweeter and 3/8" PET dome supertweeter
  • 1-1/2" lightweight diaphragm balanced-dome midrange
  • power range: 2-50 watts RMS (280 watts peak power)
  • frequency response: 30-33,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 91 dB
  • top-mount depth: 2-5/16"

The head unit is a good one for someone like you who's doesn't seem to be a big audiophile. The secret to getting the most out of any system is matching the right speakers to your power output. The 6x9's you've chosen are probably too much and won't sound good because they will be underpowered. And honestly a decent 2-way speaker will always sound better than a good 3-way. Matching the speakers in the truck is sometimes a good idea because they will better compliment each other as well, but not always. With the kind of deck you are talking about, the Alpine Type S 2-Way speakers would probably be a better solution. the SPS-69C2 6x9's with the SPS-17C2 6-1/2" would be great and you're not underpowering. Underpowering is just as bad as overpowering. Changing the tweeters in the front doors with an inline filter would be recomended as well. Since you will not be going with a subwoofer you should definately keep the 6x9's in the doors no matter what setup you choose. Kaption is another good speaker at a good price but I don't think you can get them stateside.

Hope my blurb helped you out. Good luck!

SickRedXRnr

"OK, Good Talk"
Reaction score
when i had my 2001 tacoma, JUST replacing the head unit was a huge difference. you have to realize the stock head unit is pushing maybe.... 12 watts to the speakers? then an after market is doing 45-50..... same speakers with a new head unit is going to be close to 4 times the sound.... its all how you set it up. I LOVE the JBL speakers that come with it.... (i think thats what they are) they have a great amount of bass, great sound etc etc... the only thing i would suggest different is if you are going to put a sub in, then get yourself some infinity speakers or something else that is going to JUST give you highs and mids, and let the sub take care of the rest... otherwise, stick with what you got and enjoy

Scratchy

Reaction score
So does that box fit a 10" sub? and do you have to find a shallow sub or can it fit pretty much any 10"sub?
Yes, those panels take a 10" sub designed for .5cf sealed box.
Check out the complete thread - there are lots of different subs used listed there.
Elemental Designs makes subs for small enclosures :top:

BoominTaco

Reaction score
Buy sum JL 6x9VRs and 6 1/2 VR Coax and your good to go. Make sure your deck can put out, Kennwood decks usally puts out 22 rms per channel and 50 x 4 MOSFET. For both pairs should come out to less than 300 bucks.

Alexrunner

Reaction score
if you were to see the stock speakers you would be really surprised at how they sound the way they do. they look like they were made with toilet roll cardboard and the worlds smallest magnet. they also weigh nothing. Its crazy that they sound good the way they are.

XNU

Reaction score
I thought my factory speakers sounded bad. With the stock head unit and infinitys speakers it sounds really good. Much better sound

Ruffryder

Reaction score
A headunit will make even the horrible speakers in the X sound better, but still not good. I think the stock speakers with an aftermarket deck could keep up with a small sub, as long as they were on a high-pass filter. Replace the speakers if you are looking to have any resemblance of bass.

Here's what I have:
Headunit: Pioneer deh-980BT $330, Ebay

Front: Pioneer TSC-160r 6.5 Componants $100 Ebay
Rockford Fosgate 250a2 $100 Ebay, but I just bought so it would match my other amps, could have gone cheaper

Rear: Stock speakers off of deck

Sub: Rockford HX2
Rockford 360a2, bridged
already had these from awhile ago

shaX 07

Reaction score
I'm reviving this thread because I finally got these speakers installed last month and to be honest with you they weren't worth the money/effort. The stock speakers sound identical, if not better than these Pioneers and I couldn't be more disappointed that myself, dascheaten and NHXRUNNER spent a lot of time on these...

So for any of you out there looking to upgrade speakers, steer clear of anything low end pioneer, they're just not worth a damn.

Can you let use know what you're running for a set up, and include prices for what you bought..

What do you think of this set up:

Deck: ($250.00)
Pioneer DEH-P6000UB
CD receiver with built-in MOSFET amplifier (14 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
  • Easy EQ 7-band equalizer with six preset tone settings
  • loudness
  • Sound Retriever for improving sound of compressed music files
  • high- and low-pass filters

Front Speakers: ($70.00)

• 6"x9" 3-way car speakers (pair)
  • carbon graphite injection-molded polypropylene (IMPP) woofer with Aramid fiber and butyl rubber surround
  • 5/8" PET silver film dome tweeter
  • 2-1/4" PET silver film cone midrange
  • power range: 2-40 watts RMS (250 watts peak power)
  • frequency response: 28-28,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 93 dB
  • top-mount depth: 2-7/8"

Rear Speakers: ($100.00)

Pioneer TS-A1682R 6 1/2's
  • 6-1/2"/6-3/4" 4-way car speakers (pair)
  • injection-molded polypropylene (IMPP) woofer with Aramid fiber and butyl rubber surround
  • 1/2" PET dome tweeter and 3/8" PET dome supertweeter
  • 1-1/2" lightweight diaphragm balanced-dome midrange
  • power range: 2-50 watts RMS (280 watts peak power)
  • frequency response: 30-33,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 91 dB
  • top-mount depth: 2-5/16"

disciple X

Reaction score
i've always liked pioneer stuff... cheap and decent sounding... i noticed there was no amp in your list of stuff... there's your problem right there. amp those bad boys and i'd be willing to bet you wont be disappointed. i amped the stock speakers and they sound a million times better. remember what somebody said about underpowering... they're not really gonna sound any better with only a coulple watts pushin em.

dj_lucas840

Reaction score
to be honest my speakers i didnt spend much on! got some 3ways from walmart! the ones that have blue LEDs in them, and i think they sound alot cleaner than the stock ones! then when i added my sub to the stock HU it sounds very good now!

shaX 07

Reaction score

dj_lucas840

Reaction score
i didnt run an amp to my speakers all off HU!!! i know they can handle more power but never been worried bout it i think they sound good how they are, still get loud as shyt! only thing the amp is for is for my sub! got a 1000 watt Rockford 10"

boneman840

Reaction score
I used to be heavy into car audio when I was younger and competed in tons of events. I think most people who think that there particular sound setup sounds really good would be shocked at how bad they actually sound.By that I mean just because it is loud and clear with tons of bass does not mean it is reproducing the full spectrum of sound.Remember tuning a sound setup in a car is just like tuning your motor.Take your truck to a shop that has a good quality R.T.A. and have them smotth out the curve for your particular sound enviroment.A system always sounds good with the music you like to listen to. However try putting some serious classical or jazz/fusion and you will see where your system is lacking. R.T.A. tuning FTMFW!!!!! :rock:

KETCHUP

Reaction score
In most cases, yes. Even with a stock head unit, the sound quality is going to be better. I would considering putting an aftermarket HU as this will surely give you better sound. Of course, the more you spend, the better quality you will get (most of the time). I have an Alpine HU with Pioneer 3 way componet speakers. My sound quality is so much better than what I had in the past.

If you do consider a sub, go with the subx closer. I think this is the best set up for saving space and still being able to use your back seats.

Only think with changing the speakers is the more power and the better quality speakers you get the more chance you have for noises from vibration. That of course can be adjusted if needed, but dinomat may be something to look into.

Top Bottom