Door Panel Speakers Complete

Discussion in 'Speakers / Subwoofers / Enclosures' started by Limitless, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Limitless

Limitless Member

Finally finished my little side project that i started earlier this year. Thanks to a friend I was able to pick up some of the of the Xtreme Kreations door panels to replace the giant 12" sub and enclosure I had. Got a new JL Audio XD600 Amp for the Subs to match the JL amp I already had for the speakers. Subs are JL 10W1V3 and the speakers are JL C2-650X.

The person who had the panels also had an extra set of rear door panels so i was able to chop them up without effecting my stock panels.

Cut the hole for the sub and speaker as well as the MDF mounting rings. I cut a slit into the Sub mounting ring so i was able to spin it in like a screw.

Drilled the holes for the speaker mounting and used Tee Nuts on the back side. I had some bad experience cracking MDF with screws in the past so I figured I would just use Tee Nuts and bolts to prevent that and get a snug grip.

Was going to try and make the panels grey to match the interior but could not find a matching shade and it just didnt look right. So i picked up black wrinkle coat paint and think it turned out great. Decided to paint some red accents on he speakers while I was at it to make them pop a little.

Took the stock panels off the truck and had to make the steel opening larger by rougly an inch in all directions to fit the new sub box. Just used a jig saw and some steel bits and it seemed to work fine. I used the mounting holes as reference and measured to draw the actual hole I needed to cut. Filed and painted the cut edges to prevent rust.

Got some damper from SecondSkinAudio that turned out to be great and easy to work with. I put the stuff everywhere since i heard that these panels can rattle, and topped it off with the 1/2" damning foam sheet. While I was at it add added more grease to the door handle mechanism to prevent metal on metal vibrations.

Ran new wire (10gauge for sub, 12 for speaker) through the grommits to access the doors cleanly, and ran to both amps.

Put everything back together and off we go. Had these on for three days now and wow does this setup sound good. I havnt cranked it up enough to shake the whole truck but from what i can tell there doesnt seem to be any bad vibrations or rattles. I have spare damper so i will attack these if they come up. WAY better then my previous setup with a single 12" sub. I can actually feel the double bass again.

Attached Files:

2. Limitless

Limitless Member

Cont.

Attached Files:

3. Hard Taco

Hard Taco Formerly Known As "Sn3akrs"

Nice. How does it sound ?

4. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

Well done! How does it sound in comparison?

5. markgt531

markgt531 Member

lookIng good!!!

6. Limitless

Limitless Member

The sounds is a huge improvement over my old system. Before i had the Image Dynamics 6.5" speakers and an Audiobahn 12" in my first attempt at a fiberglass enclosure. The sub only hit a select few notes and didn't seal right so it really didn't sound the greatest, and the speakers are a good upgrade in quality. The new subs were sized really well for the door panel and sound amazing. Nice crisp double bass for heavy metal. I'll probably have to upgrade my front doors to match everything and make sure I put sound deadener in the front door to complete the setup and prevent as much vibration as possible.

7. Coupe

Coupe <a href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/showt

Very nice..........

8. Slywhitty

Slywhitty "Midget Magnet"

Looking good man! Was wondering when you were gonna get them in!

9. Limitless

Limitless Member

Yeah, kept putting off cutting the metal in the door frame. Don't have a garage so doing it all in a parking lot required a little more coordination to make sure I got it done in a day.

10. throwinsparksatu

11. nick_gz1

nick_gz1 Active Member

That looks clean, time to change the color of those back seats as well!

TitanRattler813 likes this.
  12. Limitless

Limitless Member

Soon, I have the fabric to match front seats, just need to sew it all together and install.

nick_gz1 likes this.
  13. ryanschmidt

ryanschmidt Member

that looks way better than the crap I did lol. I fit 6x9 into front doors. The sound is improved over factory but anything would have been better than stock. good job on the build. looks great.

14. TheLightBringer

TheLightBringer New Member

Looks great. Where can I get the X panels? Or are they no longer available?

15. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

Someone on the forum had the molds fairly recently....but at last check the panels are no longer being made

16. Limitless

Limitless Member

What he said, not readily being made but every now and then one pops up. I got mine from a friend I met of one of the X Fest meets. Great way to make some new friends and find some parts people aren't using.

17. Limitless

Limitless Member

BTW you get your truck fixed? Thought I saw a pic of it in a wreck recently?

18. TheLightBringer

TheLightBringer New Member

Yea the X was in a hit and run accident. It is up and running. Its 99% done just waiting on the gaskets for the body kit then she will be done