Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

downsizing

Judas

Reaction score
Ok so for the longest time ive been running 2 10" alpine type S on an alpine mono amp. And a 4ch alpine amp for speakers.
Now I want my back seats back. So I sold the 4ch and the speakers.
The mono and 2 subs are up for sale right now. However, ive been thinking id like to just downsize to 1 sub and the mono amp. Im just worried its not gonna sound anywhere near as good.

My question is first off, is anyone running a 10" type s on a mono amp? If so, how powerful is your amp and what volume are you using in your box.

And could someone explain the difference between facing the sub out and as so many of you have it facing your seats or backrest...?

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I just downsized from 2 Type R 12s to a single Type X 10 in a SubXclosure box. The SubX puts the sub in a downfiring position that works very well in our trucks. It's about .66 cubix feet. I run an 800W mono amp. I have zero complaints after downsizing. The 10 doesn't have the full bodied base that the 12s did but it's more than enough to get the job done. I could still rattle the mirrors off if I wanted to.

Judas

Reaction score
How does the type x compare to the s? (If you know off hand)
So its downfiring towards the seats? How much of a gap between sub and seats? Nothing rattles? Or do you have it all insulated?

Btw. Awesome detail in your response, super helpful.

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
I don't know the specs of the type x, but it is the higher end of the alpine subs. I had one 10" type r in my truck with a 500 watt amp and a downfiring sealed box, and I loved it. It sounded so clean and nice. The type s are a little lower power handling than the type r and x, but if they're set up right can sound very good.

I didn't have any sound deadening in my truck and it didn't rattle very much at all. The downfiring setup sends the bass right into the floor and you feel it all through your seats and makes you feel the bass as much as you hear it.

If you decide you are going to keep a single 10" and need a box let me know. I have the one I had my type r in for sale.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
How does the type x compare to the s? (If you know off hand)
So its downfiring towards the seats? How much of a gap between sub and seats? Nothing rattles? Or do you have it all insulated?

Btw. Awesome detail in your response, super helpful.

Alpine has 4 "classes" of subs. From economy to high-end; Type-E, Type-S, Type-R, and Type-X. Check out the Alpine website, you'll be able to see the RMS and Peak wattage handling for each class. You'll see that the Type-X will handle a lot more power. That being said I bet in a downfiring box (sub aimed at the floor) you can get a very nice sound out of the Type-S. To get a fuller sound you could install sound deadening or put poly filling within the box (I've done both). Make sure when you pick an amp that you get one that will at least provide the RMS wattage. It's better to slightly overpower a sub (the amp isn't putting out the full wattage until full volume) than underpower it. Be on the lookout for a SubX or similar box if you're not familiar with carpentry. This is what mine looks like (not mine but the exact same box). The sub sits a couple inches above the hump, between the seat and the center console.

DSCN1264.JPG

RRX

Reaction score
I have a SUBX box with a TYPE S 10" and I really like the clean bass it gives.

giox

Reaction score
i wanna get something like this...

Alpine has 4 "classes" of subs. From economy to high-end; Type-E, Type-S, Type-R, and Type-X. Check out the Alpine website, you'll be able to see the RMS and Peak wattage handling for each class. You'll see that the Type-X will handle a lot more power. That being said I bet in a downfiring box (sub aimed at the floor) you can get a very nice sound out of the Type-S. To get a fuller sound you could install sound deadening or put poly filling within the box (I've done both). Make sure when you pick an amp that you get one that will at least provide the RMS wattage. It's better to slightly overpower a sub (the amp isn't putting out the full wattage until full volume) than underpower it. Be on the lookout for a SubX or similar box if you're not familiar with carpentry. This is what mine looks like (not mine but the exact same box). The sub sits a couple inches above the hump, between the seat and the center console.

DSCN1264.JPG

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
Ok so for the longest time ive been running 2 10" alpine type S on an alpine mono amp. And a 4ch alpine amp for speakers.
Now I want my back seats back. So I sold the 4ch and the speakers.
The mono and 2 subs are up for sale right now. However, ive been thinking id like to just downsize to 1 sub and the mono amp. Im just worried its not gonna sound anywhere near as good.

My question is first off, is anyone running a 10" type s on a mono amp? If so, how powerful is your amp and what volume are you using in your box.

And could someone explain the difference between facing the sub out and as so many of you have it facing your seats or backrest...?

1 new or old style r-type will be louder and much nicer sounding than 2 old s-types. i've heard all the alpine subs in different boxes and bang for your buck the r-type is the way to go. i upgraded from the r-type to x-type and its definitely nicer but not twice as good like the price suggests. both r-type and x-type are insanely loud in the right box. x-type absolutely comes alive in the right sized ported box and plays DEEP bass like nothing else with such clarity and still hits quicker and tighter than the rest but at a huge cost especially since you would need a much better amp

DSCN1264.JPG

you only need polyfill if your box isn't big enough for the sub and only use polyfill with sealed boxes and make sure it dosn't get into your magnet

as far as which way you face your sub i have tried facing forward, up, down, side, and into the back. the only option i would highly advice against is back firing. rattled sooo badly! best set-up i've done is a ported box with the sub and port facing down about 2" off the floor

Last edited:

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
haha ya a lot of people don't understand what polyfill is actually intended for. to make it simple for everyone polyfill is added to sealed boxes that are too small for the sub. the polyfill slows down the sound waves and makes the box play like a bigger box

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
That was the reason I used it. But now after reviewing the specs on the box, I'm actually a bit oversized (plus the polyfill). Guess I have something to do this weekend.

Judas

Reaction score
been done for awhile just got around to adding the pic on XRU.

Attachments

• 10330512_10152446243031663_5872625476509119644_n.jpg
    10330512_10152446243031663_5872625476509119644_n.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 138
Top Bottom