Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ECU Access/Removal "How To"?????

roy365

Reaction score
Is there a how to thread or instructions anywhere for access or removal of the ECU? I want to install my URD MAF calc. this wknd. I looked in 5+ pages of How to section, then did a google search. Saw some folks talk about it a little but no luck finding a write up.

justin13703

Reaction score
Once you get the glovebox out its pretty much there. Lower the glovebox, unclip the little damper thing on the right side, and squeeze the sides in where the stoppers are to allow it to drop past them. Then just pull it straight out. If you want to take more out to get more room to work with, alot of the trim around the glovebox comes off easily either by just popping off or removing a few screws.

roy365

Reaction score
When I was doing my stereo install I was looking at the glove box assy and the ECM but I couldnt see how it came out. I saw the screws but it sounds like you dont even need those out if you can access from glove box.

I guess you unplug the ECM and do your splice work to the harness after you remove glove box?

justin13703

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've seen how much room was there with the glovebox out, I'll run out to the truck in a second and see if it's easier to do it that way or if it's easier to take some more of the glove box trim off to get to it.

Ok yeah probably the easiest way to do it would be to just remove the glovebox and get it from there, if you need more room to work with you may want to unplug the connector you're working with to give you a little more room in there. Just make sure the battery is disconnected first.

Last edited:

roy365

Reaction score
Let the quest for MOAR begin!!!! Muchos gracias amigo!!!! LOL

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Besides taking the glove box off you might find it easier to untape some sections of the wiring harness, and unclip it from a couple connecting points. Lets you move it around and gives you a little extra slack if I remember right.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
I pulled the glove box and the kick panel, but never actually removed the ECU. Space is a little tight but very do-able.

Do you have the plug-in harness or are you soldering into the factory harness?

roy365

Reaction score
Besides taking the glove box off you might find it easier to untape some sections of the wiring harness, and unclip it from a couple connecting points. Lets you move it around and gives you a little extra slack if I remember right.

Yes. :top:

I pulled the glove box and the kick panel, but never actually removed the ECU. Space is a little tight but very do-able.

Do you have the plug-in harness or are you soldering into the factory harness?

I was going the solder route. Do you buy one of the plug and play harnesses from URD as well? I'd rather use a harness if it isn't too expensive.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
No plug and play for the 09 so I went into the main harness

roy365

Reaction score
I got it installed and buttoned up. Test drive seems to net a little better driveability. Better through the whole RPM range.

Top Bottom