Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Electric fan conversion (advance auto parts style)

PUREVIBEZ

Reaction score
DISCLAINER, PLEASE MOD YOUR TRUCK AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM IN NO WAY LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY YOU ATTEMPTING THIS MOD. DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK AND RESPONSIBILITY :top:

Ok guys, I did the electric fan mod the other day and im loving it. based on Ketchup's video write up and just knowing a little bit it took me all of 45 minutes to a hour with a few beers.a couple of you guys have been asking for a write up, so here it is with the pics of it installed and the parts i used

1. Go to advance auto parts and buy whatever fan you may need. i had a 14 inch fan from my evo, that i used.

2.Get the thermostatic fan control in the same isle right beside the fans.(dont forget to get the thru core mount anchors, if you plan on using that to mount the fan. i did)

3.remove the shroud, first take off the top cover, 4 clips i think. then 4 10 bolts and nuts hold the fan shroud to the subframe.

4.Pull the nuts on the base of the fan on the water pump pulley. i think they are 12's. remember to put the nuts back on after you remove the fan (that way you dont forget)

5. With the radiator leaned forward pick where your gonna mount the fan and start to work thru the anchors. once your done with all four anchors hold the fan in place and tighten them all up till the fan is snug against the radiator.

6. run the wires off the fan however you need to. you need the power wire from the relay kit ran however you want across to the power wire of the fan. the ground is wherever you find a ground (i found one right behind the hood lock)
INSERT:the fan has 2 wires. power and ground. the power wire connects to the associated wire on the relay and the black to a good ground. the power for the relay kit goes to the positive side of the battery, the ground to the negative terminal. the acc wire on the relay kit goes to a good 12 volt acc wire where ever you find one, i used my radio wire inside the main fuse box.

7. Once the power wire is connected, go ahead and attach the relay side power wire to the according positive and ground to the negative side of the battery. as for the acc wire. i found a wire in my fuse box (my radio fuse switch) to cue the power up of the relay.(if it does go out my radio wont turn on so ill know something is up, kinda double safety).

8. That should be it fellas. make sure you run the truck to temp and make sure the fan comes on and everything is running and working fine before you leave it for the night and pick up that 3rd or 4th frosty brew.(oh, i put the thermostat stick along the inside edge of the radiator and secured it with alligator clips)

9. final note. a member ask me if i think he could do the E fan and run the stock shroud. i think it could work and im gonna try putting mine back on this weekend to see if it can all fit nicely. i do think it will be fine though. for all of you guys attempting this mod, go for it, its very easy and the butt dyno will like it.

mod at your own risk and enjoy your trucks gentlemen:top:
Big thanks to Ketchup for the inspiration:rockon:
Brad

Attachments

• IMG00078-20100505-1311.jpg
    IMG00078-20100505-1311.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG00079-20100505-1312.jpg
    IMG00079-20100505-1312.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG00075-20100505-1115.jpg
    IMG00075-20100505-1115.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG00077-20100505-1116.jpg
    IMG00077-20100505-1116.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
just fyi: the stock fan shroud can be run with the fan. i have mine on and i have the 14" torqflo fan.

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Im glad you did this write up, but its missing some things. Like where do i connect the wires?!?!?:hmmmm2:

You go from "Run them wherever" to "Once you have it connected" lol wut :dontknow:

"run the wires off the fan however you need to. you need the power wire from the relay kit ran however you want across to the power wire of the fan."
Ok, then where is it getting said power from? As in, where is yours connected? Straight to the big positive cable?

Im gonna try and figure it out but a few more details would help. Im gonna take more pics than that too :biggrin:

I was curious where you mounted your probe, and where exactly is this acc. wire?

Sorry, but i hate wiring crap. Thats why a friend will help me with the MAF CAL i got in another couple weeks. I dont want to start splicing into shit without knowing for sure.

teamben158

Reaction score
I've been thinking about doing this mod because I hate how loud the fan is at start up. People a block away can hear the damn thing in the morning.

Is the single fan adequate for cooling when sitting in traffic on a 100 degree day at a stand still? Or I guess, is it the same or stronger than the stock fans?

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
I definently want to do this mod soon. Everyone I've talked to say you will notice a difference.

gtmoy

Reaction score
I used a Lincoln Mark VIII fan and the stock shroud and had no problem last summer idling in Austin, TX 100+ degrees. A/C was ice cold. My IATs went up (idling) though since I don't have a CAI

nine9six

Reaction score
As in this month, or next? JW :smile:

How much does everything cost?

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Can anyone who has done this please post some pics on where to wire everything up?

I got all the stuff. 14 inch Hayden fan for 70 bucks and the Hayden thermostat control wiring kit for 34 bucks. I have no idea where anything goes. And one sentence answers wont cut it. I am electrical retarded:hmmmm2:

Come on Vibes! Show me !! :laugh:

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
Not entirely sure of the cost, but I will find out next week and let you know.

PUREVIBEZ

Reaction score
ok ill snap some more pics for you Dave.

the fan has 2 wires. power and ground. the power wire connects to the associated wire on the relay and the black to a good ground. the power for the relay kit goes to the positive side of the battery, the ground to the negative terminal. the acc wire on the relay kit goes to a good 12 volt acc wire where ever you find one, i used my radio wire inside the main fuse box.

hope this helps. ill try post a few more pics here in a few.

Can anyone who has done this please post some pics on where to wire everything up?

I got all the stuff. 14 inch Hayden fan for 70 bucks and the Hayden thermostat control wiring kit for 34 bucks. I have no idea where anything goes. And one sentence answers wont cut it. I am electrical retarded:hmmmm2:

Come on Vibes! Show me !! :laugh:

reread 7 and i added to 6 just for you brother. ill snap a few more pics for you too. just at work, saving the world from crime one street at a time. ill get on it asap.lol
Brad

Last edited:

PUREVIBEZ

Reaction score
like $90 to $100 for all the parts. then whatever your time is valued at,lol

PUREVIBEZ

Reaction score
for $66 you cant go wrong. judging from the pic, its basically everything i bought from advance auto parts, plus another fan,:laugh:

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
Shrouded = moar better

This may not be relevant but I just wanna put the info out there. A shroud forces air to go across the entire radiator for better cooling. Guys with smallblock chevys in S10s have had overheating problems when they just put the fan on the radiator.

Anyways good info, but I have a question: What did you do with the rad overflow? I though it was attached to the stock shroud:dontknow:

PUREVIBEZ

Reaction score
it is. im not running one, i had a universal overflow at first but didnt like how it sat in the corner. im gonna put the shroud back on just for the bottle this weekend. it fits over the E fan.:top:

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Right on Vibes. I just reread everything and then went back and got a different thermo kit. Much better one, same price:top:

Everything is clear now. Thanks again for the write up and for adding more to it for the electrically challenged(like me).

I pulled everything to just get a 'birds eye view' of what i need to do and how im gonna mount the fan, the relay control, and the wires. I will be using the stock shroud over it all for the functionality and the clean factory look. It will hide some of the wires:top:I have to go to work in a few, but hopefully if i wake up tomorrow early enough i will get this done before i go back in. Ill take a bunch of pics and, if you dont mind, i will add to this thread.

Thanks again!!

PUREVIBEZ

Reaction score
hell yeah brother, the more info we add the easier this becomes. get it done.:top:

Top Bottom