Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

FJLED

Reaction score
There are plenty of mfgs out there who offer reliable electric fans. Now if folks set them up improperly (odd angles which the bearings are designed to support) or choose to go cheap thats a different story. I wouldn't just go buying any electric fan off ebay, thats for sure. :top:

Someone carrying a more reputable product like SPAL would be where I'd look to first.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
There are plenty of mfgs out there who offer reliable electric fans. Now if folks set them up improperly (odd angles which the bearings are designed to support) or choose to go cheap thats a different story. I wouldn't just go buying any electric fan off ebay, thats for sure. :top:

Someone carrying a more reputable product like SPAL would be where I'd look to first.

Ive seen plenty of reputable electric fan setups fail to perform as good as stock or have electric component failure as well... But really whats the point? The stock fan is fine.... But like I said if I had the ambition to go to an electric fan setup id do an OE grade setup or better (this means very good/reliable electric components, a really good shroud design, and a good wiring job).

Dont cheap out on the parts, and dont half ass the install - spend the time and money to do it right.

In regards to not using a fan on a DD, that is just retarded.

Who the hell wants to drive around watching their coolant temperature every time they hit a little traffic, a long ass red light, waiting for an accident to clear, waiting to pass a road construction site, etc...

Sounds like a nice recipe for knock or at the very least a large headache that was un-needed in the first place.

There is no need to fist f00k every system on the truck, some shit just works good enough lol.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Knock knock.....who's there? No one with the answer to my question...... DS. :p. lol.

Murderface

Reaction score
Does anyone know what our radiators dimensions are? There's gotta be a twin electric fan with a shroud that covers the whole radiator and works better then the Flexalite kit that Shane was selling where the shroud covered but maybe 75% of the radiator. I'll keep my stock setup but would look for a better option for anyone else who thinks the electric fan will make enough of a difference in acceleration and cooling that they could feel it.

X-roller

Reaction score
lol. love the tags. but anyways funny that you mention failing of a fan. That is actually why I decided on switching over to electric. My fan clutch went out on me so I had to go buy another one....I went and bought another one and the bolts that hold the fan on sheared clean off so I was like wtf?.... I thought hmmm maybe I over tightened them so I went and got it replaced again.... went thru the same process again! bolts sheared off again but this time the fan flew off and hit my radiator pretty hard and put a big gash in it so this time I had to replace my radiator.... after that I switched to an electric fan and haven't had a problem since.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
This thread is full of win:top: John I have the flexalite, we will cram your gangly arse in my truck at xfe and you can see all ya want of the fan, I can't review it now cause it's in my basement but I will get off my ass one of these days and put it in. Unless that is you can't be seen in a non boosted x haha

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
lol. love the tags. but anyways funny that you mention failing of a fan. That is actually why I decided on switching over to electric. My fan clutch went out on me so I had to go buy another one....I went and bought another one and the bolts that hold the fan on sheared clean off so I was like wtf?.... I thought hmmm maybe I over tightened them so I went and got it replaced again.... went thru the same process again! bolts sheared off again but this time the fan flew off and hit my radiator pretty hard and put a big gash in it so this time I had to replace my radiator.... after that I switched to an electric fan and haven't had a problem since.

Sounds like a bunch of polish wrenching to me....

Mechanical fans do fail here and there but the OEM ones are VERY reliable (will last hundreds of thousands of miles in many cases) lol.

I have probably had the radiator, shroud, and fan assembly off of this truck about 10 times on 4 different vehicles and didn't seem to have the problems you have described above lol.

There is no reason to destroy all that stuff dude lol.

You sheared off the 4 or 6 nuts holding the fan on and took out the radiator? really? What are you tightening the fan down with, a half inch impact gun on full blast?

Your elite mechanic skills don't discredit the reliability of the OEM fan assembly too well bro lol.

Last edited:

X-roller

Reaction score
Sounds like a bunch of polish wrenching to me....

Mechanical fans do fail here and there but the OEM ones are VERY reliable (will last hundreds of thousands of miles in many cases) lol.

I have probably had the radiator, shroud, and fan assembly off of this truck about 10 times on 4 different vehicles and didn't seem to have the problems you have described above lol.

There is no reason to destroy all that stuff dude lol.

You sheared off the 4 or 6 nuts holding the fan on and took out the radiator? really? What are you tightening the fan down with, a half inch impact gun on full blast?

Your elite mechanic skills don't discredit the reliability of the OEM fan assembly too well bro lol.

lol...I used a 10mm with a 1/4 ratchet so it couldn't provide much torque but they did tighten them good enough. Once is ok maybe a faulty or cheap bolts.... but twice costing me a radiator in the process?? Not really reliable if you ask me... I can't remember now if it was just the fan that kept coming off or if it was the entire fan w/ clutch coming off but I remember that those bolts snapped off twice and the second time busted my radiator.

As far as my mechanics goes.... I can do work on a car...... All that for an expansion valve...

268440_10150233895156417_650131416_7518342_6758678_n.jpg

Last edited:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
lol...I used a 10mm with a 1/4 ratchet so it couldn't provide much torque but they did tighten them good enough. Once is ok maybe a faulty or cheap bolts.... but twice costing me a radiator in the process?? Not really reliable if you ask me... I can't remember now if it was just the fan that kept coming off or if it was the entire fan w/ clutch coming off but I remember that those bolts snapped off twice and the second time busted my radiator.

No dude that's just polish, no reason at all to break those studs.

Whos they?

The fan is held on with nuts, the shaft slips over studs.

X-roller

Reaction score
No dude that's just polish, no reason at all to break those studs.

Whos they?

The fan is held on with nuts, the shaft slips over studs.

then it was just the fan that kept flying off the clutch..... The fan kept shearing off the studs that are on the fan clutch that hold the fan on.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
then it was just the fan that kept flying off the clutch..... The fan kept shearing off the studs that are on the fan clutch that hold the fan on.

lol and why is that? because you or whoever did it tightened it too much.

7-10 ft-lbs (which is just snug) and some locktite is probably all it calls for.

They don't fly off from factory.

X-roller

Reaction score
lol and why is that? because you or whoever did it tightened it too much.

7-10 ft-lbs (which is just snug) and some locktite is probably all it calls for.

They don't fly off from factory.

Yeah I know it doesn't call for much but it kept shearing off the bolts and after it cost me a radiator I was :motz: so I opted out for the electric fan which was the more reliable one for me in my case.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Om_Nom_Nom314.jpg

Yeah I know it doesn't call for much but it kept shearing off the bolts and after it cost me a radiator I was :motz: so I opted out for the electric fan which was the more reliable one for me in my case.

Ok so your polish fan install muffed the radiator up thus mechanical fans suck.

Good logic sir. haha

Last edited:

X-roller

Reaction score
Om_Nom_Nom314.jpg

Ok so your polish fan install muffed the radiator up thus mechanical fans suck.

Good logic sir. haha

the studs kept shearing off while driving not will installing. The install would go fine but driving was when the fan would fly off. Nothing wrong with the install.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
the studs kept shearing off while driving not will installing. The install would go fine but driving was when the fan would fly off. Nothing wrong with the install.

Ok so there is a new recall coming out then for Tacoma radiator fans flying off with out warning?

Or some kid in a Taiwanese sweatshop who tightens the plastic fans onto the clutch assembly is a more skilled laborer?

How is it not the install?

OmNomNom-bus.jpeg

X-roller

Reaction score
Ok so there is a new recall coming out then for Tacoma radiator fans flying off with out warning?

Or some kid in a Taiwanese sweatshop who tightens the plastic fans onto the clutch assembly is a more skilled laborer?

How is it not the install?

OmNomNom-bus.jpeg

cheaply made replacement I guess. Kinda odd it happened twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom