Emergency Brake Sticking

Discussion in 'Stock Performance/Mechanical' started by NHXRUNNER, Jul 2, 2018.

1. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

So the issue started last fall....left rear tire sticking occasionally after the e-brake had been applied (would pop after the brakes were applied with the pedal.....fast forward to about 2 months ago, truck almost got stuck because the brake wouldn't release. Hadn't used it since. While replacing the rear brakes last Thursday, that I got 204K miles out of with life left on them, we tested the e-brake. The pull is not as long as it should be and I'm getting ZERO movement of the cable at either drum. Points me to the front cable......anyone had a front cable go? Easy swap? Haven't had time to investigate pulling the front console.

justin13703 likes this.
  2. o0opackersfano0o

o0opackersfano0o Active Member

check the back of the backing plate where the ebrake cable goes in. usualy breaks there and gets rusty and corrodes. 99% positive thats ur problem. will need both rear ebrake cables

3. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

Remove the rear drums and look for gear oil on the shoes. If you find any, replace the axle seal on that side.

4. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure it's both rear cables at this point. I removed the cup holder and pulled slowly on the handle. The front cable moved freely. Guess I'll be ordering 2 rear brake cables.