Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Frame Notch Strength Testing

Reverend_d

Reaction score
I have done about 20 to 25 c notch kits on full size and mini trucks over the years that i have been a mechanic and have not seen any problems. I think too many people look too deep into things and start to think the worst. I will be c notching when I end up with my DJM kit.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My mind is basically made up. Its my truck - I own it - I like the look of the DJM drop best - and hopefully with the modifications to the suspension (QA1, Stock Height Coils and Sways) the ride will be no worse than the SOS drop.

As soon as I can get some new ball joints pressed into the control arms, I'll be taking a day off work to knock this out. :rockon:

darthyota

Reaction score
can you do a fea with the notches but add 1/4" plate to the top of the frame as well so se we can see how that changes things over just the notch and boxing the frame

JiNsEiGaNaI

Reaction score
Good to know! i was always wondering about notching and how strong it is! thanks man!

gunner76137

Reaction score
Theres people on here that have the notch and still tow big boats and I know blastap pulls his rock climber on a trailer behind his and never had an issue. Didnt he also haul somebodies Xrunner back from the track during TexFest after blowing out a clutch.
I think that if it can handle doing those chores its sould be fine.

ryanjboutin

Reaction score
No notch, no bumpstop.

Axledrop1.jpg

Had Beefed box my frame on the inside, and welded more plate on the outside of the frame too.
Welded the plate into the holes where the bumpstop was originally.

SU1HMDAwMjAtMjAxMTAyMTgtMTI1MC5qcGc.jpg

Boxed the inside of the frame.

Frameboxed1.jpg

...and the bottom of the notch.

Notch2.jpg

blastap

Reaction score
3d78224c.jpg

I'm going to leave this photo here, many have seen this photo in different frame/djm threads. The truck held up great through my 600 mile journey, had plenty of go/slow down but the taking off was a bitch due to the light flywheel/stg 3 clutch.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK ^^^ That photo is EPIC - BITCHIN! :rock:

Scarface

Reaction score
3d78224c.jpg

I'm going to leave this photo here, many have seen this photo in different frame/djm threads. The truck held up great through my 600 mile journey, had plenty of go/slow down but the taking off was a bitch due to the light flywheel/stg 3 clutch.

You dont have airbags???

blastap

Reaction score
I have helper airbags to level it out, without them hauling ANYTHING is a struggle.

jwg256

Reaction score
Real siked on this thread. Glad to see someone looked into the structuring of the notch kits. Although its debatable, I think notching the frame is a poor decision in regards to voiding the warrantee and depending on some guy to weld the kit on for you (unlessmu can do it or got a good welder guy).
Drops look good but having the function of a pickup truck out weighs the aesthetic value IMO. :top:

ryanjboutin

Reaction score
Real siked on this thread. Glad to see someone looked into the structuring of the notch kits. Although its debatable, I think notching the frame is a poor decision in regards to voiding the warrantee and depending on some guy to weld the kit on for you (unlessmu can do it or got a good welder guy).
Drops look good but having the function of a pickup truck out weighs the aesthetic value IMO. :top:

Warranty*

My warranty is long gone. lol

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Warranty* My warranty is long gone. lol

+1 I actually just hit 60,000 miles today. Pretty good considering its a 2006.

I think notching the frame is a poor decision in regards to voiding the warrantee and depending on some guy to weld the kit on for you (unlessmu can do it or got a good welder guy).

DJM notch is not - and should not be welded. Most guys with X-Runners don't haul anything but ass. :laugh:

JiNsEiGaNaI

Reaction score
ok, i think this should be a sticky FOR SURE! but i heard while also, the design of the notch is a big factor to how strong or weak it is, also just installing it and like K2 said, its the heating that weakens the frame! i also heard of some guys, throwing dry ice on the frame to help keep temp down!

absolut

Reaction score
Nice info k2, I will never notch my frame unless i find some one really quallifeid. for now i will test my 2.6 inch blocks and getting the djm 3" control arms. I wish there is a good 4link for our trucks.

darthyota

Reaction score
can you do a fea with the notches but add 1/4" plate to the top of the frame as well so se we can see how that changes things over just the notch and boxing the frame

:canada::canada:

Top Bottom