Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Frame Notch Strength Testing

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's how I honestly feel about notching... I totally wasn't interested until my truck was paid for and MINE and I was certain that I was keeping it. I knew I was keeping it when I decided (or was convinced by XRU) to drop a new motor in it. Now that I've invested a large, undisclosed amount of money into it (and have another small loan to pay b/c of it), I want it to be exactly the way that I want. If I never sell it to anyone else, I'm fine with that now. It's mine and I love the way that it is. But I'm a creative person - look at my career - and because of that people like me (and there are plenty on here) have a hard time leaving "well enough alone." We want to personalize and individualize our vehicles and most likely many other things in our lives as well. I use my truck as a truck MAYBE 5-10 times per year so losing that ability - or limiting it - doesn't really bother me all that much. I drive my truck leisurely MUCH more than I race it and I drive with bed empty MUCH more than I do with stuff in it. That's how I made my decision. I want to enjoy the way my truck LOOKS every day. I want it to go FAST on the occasions that I want to go fast. I want it handle well the very few occasions that I throw it through a turn. And if I can still put a couple sheets of MDF in the back and get them the 10 miles back to my house, I consider it a win win win win.

And let's face it. In the 3 days now that I've had the new drop and wheels on, I've had more compliments and people stop me to talk about the truck than I have in the last 6 months. Its not about showing off or being better than anyone else - its about taking pride in your work and the enjoyment of having others appreciate it too. The truck looks amazing IMO and I am confident that its not that much less safe to just drive around town. If I get rear-ended the damage could be severe but a lot of rear-end accidents are. I still feel safe though because I have 6 feet of bed and another 18 inches of cab between my body and whatever is coming.

To each his own of course but those are my reasons for doing what I have done and so far, even with the taco lean issues, I don't regret it. I was talking to some girls at work today that were admiring the truck - and asking why I spent so much time and money on it just to make it look that way. I told them its no different than the sacrifices they go through every day just FOR LOOKS. Shaving their legs, getting up early to straighten their hair and put on makeup (just to spend 30 minutes taking it off each night), etc, etc. Looks take effort, money and sacrifice. I don't want to drive my truck or resist the urge to modify it because I'm afraid I won't be able to sell it. That would mean that I'm NOT enjoying it now for the POSSIBILITY that I might sell it later. Enjoy today. Tomorrow will get here soon enough.

</rant> :top:

absolut

Reaction score
So the pipe notch with the 2" travel is the best way?

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
Remember that when you cut that frame, you won't be able to certified it if you want to sell later.

Gadget

Reaction score
Here's how I honestly feel about notching... I totally wasn't interested until my truck was paid for and MINE and I was certain that I was keeping it. I knew I was keeping it when I decided (or was convinced by XRU) to drop a new motor in it. Now that I've invested a large, undisclosed amount of money into it (and have another small loan to pay b/c of it), I want it to be exactly the way that I want. If I never sell it to anyone else, I'm fine with that now. It's mine and I love the way that it is. But I'm a creative person - look at my career - and because of that people like me (and there are plenty on here) have a hard time leaving "well enough alone." We want to personalize and individualize our vehicles and most likely many other things in our lives as well. I use my truck as a truck MAYBE 5-10 times per year so losing that ability - or limiting it - doesn't really bother me all that much. I drive my truck leisurely MUCH more than I race it and I drive with bed empty MUCH more than I do with stuff in it. That's how I made my decision. I want to enjoy the way my truck LOOKS every day. I want it to go FAST on the occasions that I want to go fast. I want it handle well the very few occasions that I throw it through a turn. And if I can still put a couple sheets of MDF in the back and get them the 10 miles back to my house, I consider it a win win win win.

And let's face it. In the 3 days now that I've had the new drop and wheels on, I've had more compliments and people stop me to talk about the truck than I have in the last 6 months. Its not about showing off or being better than anyone else - its about taking pride in your work and the enjoyment of having others appreciate it too. The truck looks amazing IMO and I am confident that its not that much less safe to just drive around town. If I get rear-ended the damage could be severe but a lot of rear-end accidents are. I still feel safe though because I have 6 feet of bed and another 18 inches of cab between my body and whatever is coming.

To each his own of course but those are my reasons for doing what I have done and so far, even with the taco lean issues, I don't regret it. I was talking to some girls at work today that were admiring the truck - and asking why I spent so much time and money on it just to make it look that way. I told them its no different than the sacrifices they go through every day just FOR LOOKS. Shaving their legs, getting up early to straighten their hair and put on makeup (just to spend 30 minutes taking it off each night), etc, etc. Looks take effort, money and sacrifice. I don't want to drive my truck or resist the urge to modify it because I'm afraid I won't be able to sell it. That would mean that I'm NOT enjoying it now for the POSSIBILITY that I might sell it later. Enjoy today. Tomorrow will get here soon enough.

</rant> :top:

Well said.

So, are you coming to XFest??

G

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well said.

So, are you coming to XFest??

Trying my best to work it out. Like I said, its not an easy sell to convince a wife to stay home for the entire weekend (AGAIN) with three kids by herself while I go party. But I'm working on it.

Clifford

because race truck
Reaction score
No issue here, Had my djm "notch" welded in. seen plenty of abuse. 4 linked and have had no issues having anything in the bed of my truck.

Top Bottom