Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Fuel pump going??

denzel05

Reaction score
Started about 2 weeks ago, every time I let truck sit for awhile it is hard to start. (cold start) Engine turns over but wont start, then the second time I try it starts right up and runs fine. Also after the first try to start I can hear a kind of "wooshing" sound so to say. Recently changed the plugs, and maf sensor. rechecked the plugs for proper gap, and all was good. Could this maybe be my fuel pump going bad???

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
How many miles does your truck have?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Regular service interval is 30k miles, for the factory fuel pump/filter. Depending on a few different factors of how you drive and which types of fuel you purchase, cod mean that it is time to replace it.

Are there any other symptoms or issues?

X-roller

Reaction score
I didn't change mine for around 90k... lol... was pretty gross when I did finally do it though...

Bulldogger

Reaction score
Regular service interval is 30k miles, for the factory fuel pump/filter. Depending on a few different factors of how you drive and which types of fuel you purchase, cod mean that it is time to replace it.

What do you actually service the whole pump and filter is inside the tank and sold as a unit for like $500

denzel05

Reaction score

No other symptoms. I drive mostly around town, about 8 miles round trip to work. Usually run 89 oct most of the time. Occassionally 93 when money is good lol.

rich017

Reaction score
Before turning the key and starting, turn the key on for a few seconds like 3 times and then start.

That will tell you if the pump is going. Sounds like the check valve is letting all the fuel leak out of the system when it sits for a while.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you actually service the whole pump and filter is inside the tank and sold as a unit for like $500

The whole thing for that price.

Much better just to upgrade and add in the external filter. :top:

justin13703

Reaction score
Before turning the key and starting, turn the key on for a few seconds like 3 times and then start.

That will tell you if the pump is going. Sounds like the check valve is letting all the fuel leak out of the system when it sits for a while.

That won't do anything on our trucks. The fuel pump doesn't come on until you actually hit the starter. I found this out the hard way when I put my fuel pump in. You can flip the ignition on and off all day on these things and it won't make any difference.

Mine gives me issues too when starting it if it has sat for more than a few hours. My problem I believe is due to the fuel pressure regulator being shot.

Now if you turn your ignition on, flip the key to start for a fraction of a second, not long enough to start it but long enough to engage the starter. You should hear the fuel pump kick on and in me and denzel05's situation will hear it build pressure back up in the line.

denzel05

Reaction score
Mine gives me issues too when starting it if it has sat for more than a few hours. My problem I believe is due to the fuel pressure regulator being shot.

Now if you turn your ignition on, flip the key to start for a fraction of a second, not long enough to start it but long enough to engage the starter. You should hear the fuel pump kick on and in me and denzel05's situation will hear it build pressure back up in the line.

That is exactly what it's doing!!! Thought about ordering a new regulator yesterday to see if that made any difference.

justin13703

Reaction score
The dealership told me they will cover mine, I just havent had time to drop it off yet. Theyre just diagnosing it so they can order me one, Im not letting them touch the truck other than that though. Im replacing it myself. If I get mine done before too long Ill let you know how it turns out.

denzel05

Reaction score
ok, sounds good ^^^^^. Don't know how much the stealership charges for a regulator? But found one at Summit Racing for $51.95, but doesn't ship till the 28th.

justin13703

Reaction score
I dropped the truck off earlier today to troubleshoot my fpr so hopefully in the next day or two I will hear back weather they are ordering me one or not.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ok so they'll have it till at least Monday. They call me today and try to blame the problem on my optima battery. I was like nah, a brand new optima battery isn't gonna make the truck crank for 5 seconds before firing up lol. Then they tried to tell me they wanted me to pay for an injector cleaning service because it could be clogged injectors. Lol I was like nah, injectors are fine, and while we're at it so is the air filter, spark plugs, oil, oil filter, fuel pump and fuel filter. Just so none of those get blamed next. So they need to keep it till Monday to keep troubleshooting it. I told em to keep it as long as it takes to get it fixed, and I'll drive my jeep lol.

dramad1

Reaction score
Sounds like the typical dealerships that are out here in Cali. Don't know shit but what there code reader tells them and they will blame other things that are fine to take your money thinking your dumb. Prepare yourself for more bad diagnostic and them trying to slap a bill on you for something. I hope you get this issue solved. I had a similar issue a while back and it was my blue tooth drawing power after x was off, the Lil screen on my parrot would stay on due to lose wiring and slowly suck the life outta my battery. My symptoms seemed similar to what you and the other member were expeiriencing. Only would happen on cold start. I was thinking it had to do with cranking amps or something? Fixed my wiring and problem disappeared. Keep us posted. Gl man

Gadget

Reaction score
You need to do a fuel pressure leak down test.

This is simple. Install a fuel pressure gauge somehow and start the engine. Check fuel pressure while running, should be 43.5 PSI. Shut it down and then see how long it takes to bleed down. The FSM will have a time to pressure standard. If it bleeds off faster than that you have a leak.

The leaks can be in the injectors, the FPR, the check valve in the nose of the pump, or an internal leak in the hose from the pump to the bulkhead fitting.

If you shut it down the pressure drops to ZERO real fast then that is your problem. It will just be a matter of finding the leak.

On my old off road truck I mashed in the fuel tank and crushed the fuel pump mounting bracket and that caused the in the tank hose to split. I had a fuel pressure gauge installed and as soon as I went key off the pressure would drop to ZERO instantly. Knew exactly what it was. I would have to crank it for 5-10 seconds to get the pump to refill the lines and build enough pressure to start.

G

justin13703

Reaction score
^ that's exactly what I told em to do but dealerships are so damn quick to just start blaming anything and everything that's not from the factory that they don't even take the time to troubleshoot anything anymore. Tell em it has a problem starting, they pop the good and see an optima battery, and that must obviously be what the problem is.

Gadget remember about a year ago I called you because I kept getting bank 1 lean and bank 2 rich codes and the dealership couldn't figure it out so I called you. It ended up being my o2 sensor plugs reversed. You know what they SWORE to me for three weeks was the problem? My boost gauge.

Gadget

Reaction score
This stuff is not that hard.

Just open the FSM to the diagnostic by symptom section and look up the symptom and follow the diagnostic tree for slow starting. I will bet there is a fuel pressure leak down test in the first few branches of that tree.

G

Top Bottom