Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

!!!Functional Hood Scoop!!!

46&2_X

Reaction score
Agreed, but it wouldn't reduce heat soaking or act as a ram air so I really don't see the advantage of it.

Most fender well intakes breath at or damn near ambient in motion.

I just dont see the need to re-engineer the wheel / introduce more complications in the process for near identical outcome.

To be honest I like coupe's idea better lol.

I'm still waiting for any evidence to surface that proves it won't act as a ram air. :biggrin:

There really isn't a need. Except it would add a few extra HP and be cool to have a fully functional scoop.

I mean you could drop an intake under the front bumper if you wanted too.

It's all a matter of personal choice. I think it would be awesome, if it takes a little more effort, so be it. It would make it that much more unique.

Kinda like going for Airbags instead of a standard drop. They both achive the same outcome, one just take more to install lol.

Oh and Kudo's to coupe for doing that too. It's a good idea.

Just for me I like the idea of having a fully functional Hood scoop.

Coupe

Reaction score
I came close to making the hood scoop functional. In the end, I convinced myself the air around the scoop would be "dead". The air may flow over the scoop, but not within.

My opinion.

I could probably make a kit to make the factory scoop functional, but it would be expensive.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for any evidence to surface that proves it won't act as a ram air. :biggrin:

There really isn't a need. Except it would add a few extra HP and be cool to have a fully functional scoop.

I mean you could drop an intake under the front bumper if you wanted too.

It's all a matter of personal choice. I think it would be awesome, if it takes a little more effort, so be it. It would make it that much more unique.

Kinda like going for Airbags instead of a standard drop. They both achive the same outcome, one just take more to install lol.

Oh and Kudo's to coupe for doing that too. It's a good idea.

Just for me I like the idea of having a fully functional Hood scoop.

Cant blame you for wanting to do the project brother, to each his own!

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
I came close to making the hood scoop functional. In the end, I convinced myself the air around the scoop would be "dead". The air may flow over the scoop, but not within.

My opinion.

I could probably make a kit to make the factory scoop functional, but it would be expensive.

I wonder how much it would cost coupe...:hmmmm2: is the $400-500 range sound about right...?

rich017

Reaction score
I dont see the point in doing this.

The truck is designed to have air flowing over the scoop. Not into it

Coupe

Reaction score
I wonder how much it would cost coupe...:hmmmm2: is the $400-500 range sound about right...?

At a quick guess. I would say so.

After reading many posts about this, half of the people want it and the other half think it is a waste. So it will always be a controversial mod.

46&2_X

Reaction score
I dont see the point in doing this.

The truck is designed to have air flowing over the scoop. Not into it

They didn't design the truck with the scoop in mind. As it stands it's purely ornamental.

The same style scoop is on the hood of 4Runners, Rav4's, and Tacoma's.

They put it on to look cool.

So they didn't design it anyway, they just kind grafted it on there.

firetuner911

Reaction score
but look at the hood scoop on the subarus, aside from the massive scoop on the WRX STi, most of theirs are pretty small and yet are still fully functional, so why shouldn't ours be able to work that way, all it would take is a TRD or AFe intake that has the filter in a box with a open top, then just route the air over to the top and use a piece of weather strip to seal when the hood is closed. if i get a CF hood and a TRD intake, this is deff on my mod list.

46&2_X

Reaction score
but look at the hood scoop on the subarus, aside from the massive scoop on the WRX STi, most of theirs are pretty small and yet are still fully functional, so why shouldn't ours be able to work that way, all it would take is a TRD or AFe intake that has the filter in a box with a open top, then just route the air over to the top and use a piece of weather strip to seal when the hood is closed. if i get a CF hood and a TRD intake, this is deff on my mod list.

Make a thread when you do it :top:.

I'm sure people would be interested to see how you did it!

thebenmack

Reaction score
dude with the blue taco has gotthe right idea but it will funnel water and everything else... thats where my idea would come into play. maybe a mixture of the 2 and we would be on to something. what you guys think?

lamecargo

Reaction score
ehhhh i sorta want to go with a reg hood with no scoop just because i have no need to make it functional since my intake is no longer in the engine bay

SooRunner

Reaction score

Attachments

• trd2.gif
    trd2.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 227
  • trdengine.gif
    trdengine.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 233

46&2_X

Reaction score
dude with the blue taco has gotthe right idea but it will funnel water and everything else... thats where my idea would come into play. maybe a mixture of the 2 and we would be on to something. what you guys think?

If enough water gets in to cause any kind of an issue, it will pool in the lowest part of the intake. It's doubtful enough would get in to cause a serious issue. It would take a lot of rain to hydrolock it.

That's why the 4x4 guys who have Snorkels don't have to worry about the rain.

On a funny sidenote, everytime I pick bugs out of that little grills in front of the block off plate I think back to this thread and I just have to laugh.

If bugs are getting smashed into it now with the plate preventing any air from flowing through. What's going to happen when air can flow freely through the scoop?

I guess I'll just never understand why anyone would think it wouldn't work at all.

Ah well. :stupid::laugh:

BlueRider

Reaction score
The question is not whether the scoop gets air or not - it will get air. The real question is does the scoop get any RAM air. Unfortunately, the Xrunner scoop does not stand off of the hood, and therefore probably only "sees" boundary layer flow (or mostly boundary layer flow).

Bottom line: cut your scoop open and you will get airflow but it will most likely be static airflow. The point in a hood scoop is usually to get RAM air benefit (higher inlet pressure), but a scoop that lies almost entirely in the boundary layer doesn't provide any RAM benefit.

For example, google the WRX STI and note that the hood scoop stands off the hood a bit (especially the older models). This diverts the boundary layer flow under/around the scoop inlet and the scoop receives RAM air.

Another example, google a picture of the F-18 hornet and look at the engine inlet... it also stands off the aircraft fuselage to divert the boundary layer. This might be the extreme example, but the same physics apply only at higher speeds.

Wikipedia has a decent explanation of what is boundary layer.

livinginsa

Reaction score
It doesn't work; it does work. Airplanes are too heavy to ever fly. Steel can't be used on ships because it is too heavy. Whatever. I want one.

46&2_X

Reaction score
The question is not whether the scoop gets air or not - it will get air. The real question is does the scoop get any RAM air. Unfortunately, the Xrunner scoop does not stand off of the hood, and therefore probably only "sees" boundary layer flow (or mostly boundary layer flow).

Bottom line: cut your scoop open and you will get airflow but it will most likely be static airflow. The point in a hood scoop is usually to get RAM air benefit (higher inlet pressure), but a scoop that lies almost entirely in the boundary layer doesn't provide any RAM benefit.

For example, google the WRX STI and note that the hood scoop stands off the hood a bit (especially the older models). This diverts the boundary layer flow under/around the scoop inlet and the scoop receives RAM air.

Another example, google a picture of the F-18 hornet and look at the engine inlet... it also stands off the aircraft fuselage to divert the boundary layer. This might be the extreme example, but the same physics apply only at higher speeds.

Wikipedia has a decent explanation of what is boundary layer.

So without looking at the page.

I'm assuming you think that because it's not huge and standing far out grabbing air it won't get any?

what about this?

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/images/products/medium/naca-duct.jpg

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=naca+duct&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0

They don't stand out, but they have a proven ram air effect. In fact they provide the best ram air/aerodynamic ratio possible.

It's all about low vs. high pressure. As long as there's lower pressure in the hood scoop air will go there and if it's attached to something going faster than the air around it (I.E. a hood) it will have a ram air effect.

What about cowl induction? It's not being "force fed" because it's not in the way, but the lower pressure at the bottom of the windshield forced air in.

All I'm saying is there's more to it than big and in the way vs. not.

Top Bottom