Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gear swap #2 diy, pics and video

XrunnIT

Reaction score
CivicKilla hasn't been online since the beginning of the month.. sorry guys but we probably won't see any kind of results..

Why is it the only people who have done the gear swap are the ones that don't race their trucks?? Would be nice to know if they really were worth all the hype that they claim.

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
I think this thread should be closed...we have seen zero results I call BS

AnthonyF

Banned
Reaction score
CivicKilla hasn't been online since the beginning of the month.. sorry guys but we probably won't see any kind of results..

Why is it the only people who have done the gear swap are the ones that don't race their trucks?? Would be nice to know if they really were worth all the hype that they claim.

I would rather get my tranny built to the proper ratio's and get 6th as an OD. The 3.73 rear is nice to have but I dont want to be cruising at 3k at 75-80mph. Mph is going to drop quite a bit.

-Ant.

WCD

Reaction score
I did mine because it was dirt cheap and I do the work for a living. Plus I had yet to do any diff work on a newer Tacoma, so it was like research.
But I don't have those gears in my truck anymore. I put the 3.15's back in because I wanted my overdrive back.
Doing 80 mph on the freeway with the 3.73's was a little crazy.
By the way, any old schooler knows that gear swaps work for better 1/4 mile runs. I know this through 10 years of experience as a differential mechanic. It's just a question of whether or not you want to keep the gears in the truck for the street, and I did not.

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
I did mine because it was dirt cheap and I do the work for a living. Plus I had yet to do any diff work on a newer Tacoma, so it was like research.
But I don't have those gears in my truck anymore. I put the 3.15's back in because I wanted my overdrive back.
Doing 80 mph on the freeway with the 3.73's was a little crazy.
By the way, any old schooler knows that gear swaps work for better 1/4 mile runs. It's just a question of whether or not you want to keep the gears in the truck for the street, and I did not.

id strictly like them for track days.....swap it in on thursday night pull it out sunday morning....

WCD

Reaction score
That would be ideal.
It's tough to cruise that kind of ratio. People think you're racing everywhere you go lol.

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
That would be ideal.
It's tough to cruise that kind of ratio. People think you're racing everywhere you go lol.

I just think with those gears and boost the truck would drive itself to mid 13s????

rat7761

Reaction score
Since there are no results yet, I can give you an idea of how much difference a gear swap can make. I went from a 3.31 to 4.10 gear (in a Camaro not my X) and shaved off about 0.8 of a second and picked up about 3 MPH in the 1/4 mile. Gears make a huge difference. The compromise is highway cruising. The Camaro turns about 3,000 RPM at 55 MPH now. The Turbo 400 trans doesn't have overdrive and I'm running a 3,000 stall converter.

Last edited:

brokenvendetta

Reaction score
Since there are no results yet, I can give you an idea of how much difference a gear swap can make. I went from a 3.31 to 4.10 gear (in a Camaro not my X) and shaved off about 0.8 of a second and picked up about 3 MPH in the 1/4 mile. Gears make a huge difference. The compromise is highway cruising. The Camaro turns about 3,000 RPM at 55 MPH now. The Turbo 400 trans doesn't have overdrive and I'm running a 3,000 stall converter.

Yeah, all of us already know the pro's and con's of a gear swap, i.e. faster times/worse gas mileage.

It's kinda annoying that the guys who started all of this, never got to the track to give us some real numbers, to make it worth while and cost effective for others to try.

Without numbers, most of us are simply not willing to spend money on a swap when we don't know the actual numbers (not estimates or examples of other vehicles). If I swapped out my rear end and only gained 3/10's of a second... I would be dissapointed.

We know other Reg Tacomas on here who have different ratios, who aren't as quick (mostly due to tire size, weight, tire selection, many factors) Other Reg Tacos on here are extremely fast... but most have been modified, and gearing isn't really what's make that huge leap, usually a S/C.

I think anyone interested in this thread knew that a gear swap would increase 1/4 times... we just wanna know by how much... that's all.

RedXr

Reaction score
:dito: As everyone knows, numbers are the deciding factor (dynos or/ et's). Vids are also helpful or maybe a timeslip. N/A X's are throwin down high 14's and low 15's all day long, so what are guys doin?

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score
:dito: As everyone knows, numbers are the deciding factor (dynos or/ et's). Vids are also helpful or maybe a timeslip. N/A X's are throwin down high 14's and low 15's all day long, so what are guys doin?

As in relation to times or the swap...:dontknow:

I ran a 15.353 Friday w/ a Horrid launch and 60'...:thumpdown: I should be below 15.00...

Swap: I'm staying away until someone can show what the real gains are. Then I'll dedide on the Cost vs Results aspect. :top:

Toyotaguy_7

Reaction score
Gay thats it just gay there selfish that dude had them in and a place to race and didn't give any numbers wtf seriously what kind of xr brother are you if i had all that i would of came to you all with info be ashamed for the love of god man

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score
This whole thread/topic has been a huge tease....:thumpdown:

Top Bottom