Gibson Catback

Discussion in 'F/I Mods & Tuning' started by TurboTrck, Feb 11, 2013.

1. TurboTrck

TurboTrck Member

Anyone ever hear anything about these? I assume they are junk, but I have $300 in amazon cash that I want to use up. My magnaflow setup that dumps at the rear axle drones too bad around town. I will probably end up just going with the magnaflow full catback, but for the price (557.00) is steep.

What about other catbacks?

2. butters607

butters607 Active Member

You might as well get the 3" stainless steel afe exhaust it's only 399 I think

3. whippersnapper02

The Ranger guys would buy Gibson. They were pretty good as far as I know.

4. TurboTrck

TurboTrck Member

Im worried it will sound ricey.

5. butters607

butters607 Active Member

Not really I have it....maybe if you don't have the Y pipe it will don't know for sure

6. Workman3886

Workman3886 New Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dML4LVJrMyg[/ame]

I don't think they sound bad, if you have to money on Amazon it's sorta hard to pass up!

7. TRON

TRON Member

I would just buy your favorite muffler, then take it to a muffler shop. There, they can custom make your catback 3 inch or whatever size you want. There is a place in boulder where I got mine done, highly recommend.

8. TurboTrck

TurboTrck Member

Nahhh, in my opinion, none of the exhaust places have been able to make something as nice as manufacturers. Ive had a LOT of exhaust done over the years, none of which was that great. Also, I think for the motor cubes, 3" is way overkill for these things. It works and everyone runs it so maybe there is something there. Its just rule of thumb from big cube motors.

9. Workman3886

Workman3886 New Member

I agree, I got the URD 3" cat back, a work of art I tell you! I didn't notice any low end power loss however I found the mid and high end power increased. I still have the stock headers and y pipe so my back pressure is good, I'm n/a as well.

10. TRON

TRON Member

Yes I agree the stainless steel URD cat back is very nice... Another good reason going to the muffler shop is the welding of the exhaust pipes together vs band clamps, etc... Turbotrick, do you have a stock y pipe?

11. hrspwr236

hrspwr236 Active Member

I had Gibson on my ranger it it sounded nice, just barely louder than stock but it was a deep tone and no drone, I like it a lot but wasn't loud enough for me, the piping was a great upgrade!

12. 07SWB

07SWB Active Member

Assuming that a product is junk strictly based on price is not very smart.

Gibson products are 100% American made and everything is done in house with the exception of polishing the tips and ceramic coating the headers.

Gibson stands behind their product with the lifetime warranty. (on stainless steel products).

Why not do some more research before making a judgement based upon price?

13. STONER-X

STONER-X Active Member

That exhaust is probably made for the regular Tacoma's without a body kit.. It is probably listed as "fits" because it will bolt up...

People that have bought the TRD cat back had the tip that is sunk behind the body kit and have to get it moved to the proper spot....

If you are wanting a good cat back IMO the JBA 2.5 from URD is amazing for the sounds and price..

14. BSP06XRU

BSP06XRU Old Member

Try setting up your current exhaust to exit in the back where it's supposed to.
    The tone may change to how you like it. Worth a try! :top:

15. STONER-X

STONER-X Active Member

True this^^ if it is dumped then a simple over axle will make a world of difference with drone

16. Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet New Member

Yup I would do this before I spend unnecessary money for nothing.

BTW I do have the Gibson I enjoy it a lot. A lil bit louder then stock. Sounds quiet around cruising speeds. Nice low rumble at low rpms. 2.5" tubing which is ideal for my future blower I plan to add.

#16 Lord Helmet, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
  17. 07SWB

07SWB Active Member

Gibson makes Xrunner specific cat-backs.

Part number for 05-12 is 618804 in stainless.
    Part number for 13+ is 618812 in stainless.

18. Jaxpiercer904

Jaxpiercer904 Member

I'm getting the JBA exhaust kit for Christmas, cant wait to bolt it on, I'm getting the URD TCAI with it too, should get a nice sound between the 2 of em

19. Vandy01

Vandy01 New Member

This is my setup on my 2012. The intake over powers the exhaust. JBA is kinda quiet.

20. Jaxpiercer904

Jaxpiercer904 Member

Is that yours I saw on that YouTube video with the jba and the urd intake? I dug that sound, don't want my exhaust too loud

How was the fit on the JBA by the way? Everything bolt right up?

#20 Jaxpiercer904, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013