Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Go Fast FJ Cruiser

Gadget

Reaction score
The newer automatics are adaptive unlike the older ones.

When I put the URD Supercharger on my 05 Tundra the trans did not know how to act, but over time it dialed its self in nicely without having the valve body upgrade done.

The same for the 2010 4Runner. It adapted itself the prototype URD supercharger very nicely.

I would not say the Toyota trans is crap. You just have to deal with things in the proper way and it can hold a lot of power.

G

FJLED

Reaction score
The issues isn't with it shifting under WOT or boost, but rather it upshifts much earlier than I recall if I'm not what I'd call "heavy" on the gas. Haven't driven it in a few weeks so I forget, but its at 1500rpm or 2000rpm it seems to upshift and you lose alot of your momentum. Have to significantly increase the throttle position for it to not upshift. At least thats the way it feels to me.

Keep in mind it has been over a year since I last drove it, so my memory on the OEM throttle characteristics aren't the best. The reason I asked about the X1 and control of the tranny was that I remember seeing the axle gear ratios listed in there. What was listed was the stock ratio whereas I'm at 4.88 so I wasn't sure if that had anything to do with it. It didn't seem like an input variable though into anything and I couldn't modify it the one time I tried.

Not too worried about the tranny lifespan. Its held up well enough and I don't have any concerns about it at this point, much prefer the AT for offroading. Have plans to rework the drivetrain several years down the line based on what I've learned from this experience, so if something craps out, it just moves that timeframe forward.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the way you think. And i am very confident that you have learned a ton, during the progression and multiple stages of your build.

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
I have experienced the same with my FJ. I had the dealership check it out and reset it with tech stream. It shifted awesome for awhile but now it's starting to shift early again as it self adjusts, probably best fuel economy.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just start getting on it a lot. I bet it will change. ;)

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
If you drive it manually alot that helps keep the programing in the more aggressive state.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
What did you do for motor mounts?

FJLED

Reaction score
Gussets from DMZ fab

DSC_0687.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

cwatt

Reaction score
Have you broken your factory steering rack yet? If so, what did you replace it with?

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
No, I haven't broke that yet. sounds expensive . Sorry to hear that. If you find a replacement ,please post up. nice build so far!

Gadget

Reaction score
You can get factory reman racks from the Toyota dealer at a great price.

G

FJLED

Reaction score
Have you broken your factory steering rack yet? If so, what did you replace it with?

No, steering rack has held up fine. Usually the tie rod ends go first. Thought about upgrading them, but generally the upgraded ones have issues with bump steer. Could be remedied, but too much effort for little reward imo.

Tundra rack might be an option if it broke. I'm assuming its larger, but I'm also not sure of the geometry differences in the rack itself. Aftermarket, fit for offroad purpose, ones aren't incredibly expensive though either.

No, I haven't broke that yet. sounds expensive . Sorry to hear that. If you find a replacement ,please post up. nice build so far!

I didn't break mine. I don't blieve cwatt broke his either, think he asked the question cause you can see the steering shaft in that one photo which is what I assume prompted the question? Could be wrong though.

You can get factory reman racks from the Toyota dealer at a great price.

G

Good to know in case its ever needed.

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
No, steering rack has held up fine. Usually the tie rod ends go first. Thought about upgrading them, but generally the upgraded ones have issues with bump steer. Could be remedied, but too much effort for little reward imo.

Tundra rack might be an option if it broke. I'm assuming its larger, but I'm also not sure of the geometry differences in the rack itself. Aftermarket, fit for offroad purpose, ones aren't incredibly expensive though either.

I didn't break mine. I don't blieve cwatt broke his either, think he asked the question cause you can see the steering shaft in that one photo which is what I assume prompted the question? Could be wrong though.

Are you refering to the All pro ones or another manufacturer like TC or camburg?

cwatt

Reaction score

I broke my end links during the winter. Now running All Pro heim-steering kit. No bump steer to report.

The rack however is on its way out. It's bleeding from its ears and there's a good 2" play when the wheels are off the ground. Everything feels tight on road though, except for some jiggling at highway speeds. Rather strange. I'm looking to upgrade to something like a buggy steering system.

FJLED

Reaction score
Are you refering to the All pro ones or another manufacturer like TC or camburg?

AP and Camburg, don't know that TC even makes them for the FJC.

I broke my end links during the winter. Now running All Pro heim-steering kit. No bump steer to report.

The rack however is on its way out. It's bleeding from its ears and there's a good 2" play when the wheels are off the ground. Everything feels tight on road though, except for some jiggling at highway speeds. Rather strange. I'm looking to upgrade to something like a buggy steering system.

Quite surprising. There was another FJ in the shop which we installed the AP ones on and when you cycle the suspension you can see it has several degrees of bump steer through travel and can feel it driving as well, although the owner says there isn't any.

When I ordered camburgs kit they basically said the same and that for any go fast stuff their rod ends were not recommended due to the induced bump steer.

No issues with OEM ones, don't but at full bump/droop or lock, so we'll see how long they last. Only have 30k on my FJ and rack is in good shape.

FJLED

Reaction score
No doubt ProAm makes some nice stuff, but that rack is over $4,500 (had it quoted for another project). Much more economical options from psc, howe, and others for under $600. Or you could do some type of swing set and eliminate bumps steer all together.

FJLED

Reaction score
Dave's been working away...
mocking up the Shrockworks front bumper, sorry for the cell phone pics. I've never had a vehicle that was harder to photograph...
860A9A7B-7566-40B3-AD09-677D0A025293-4438-000003467A4D18EC.jpg

700F714D-E8EF-4B26-95F8-3182A5C36661-4438-0000034681E3914A.jpg

Got the main tube welded in where I like it, now its time to run tube up to the firewall.
A5787044-3138-49DA-A91B-7159D4792C18-4438-0000034684289ACC.jpg

95FC2635-47D8-4881-BDC5-0266C13B314C-4438-0000034686762424.jpg

Preview of how the front end is going to be stiffened up.​

Shrockworks%2520Bumper2.JPG

Last edited:

theduck911

Reaction score
Looking good, I was going to say you're probably going to want to tie that into the Engine Cage otherwise you'll end up with broken/cracked frame mounts.

Top Bottom