Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ground Effects Damage

Clewis333

Reaction score
I live in New York and my drive way has snow everywhere. I was backing up and backed up too far and backed into a snow bank (no damage). However, then i pulled forward and it screwed up my back corner ground effects (broke off the snap clip things that hold the ground effects on). I'm sure this has happened to someone else before. I was just wanting to know what my action plan should be. whether to buy a new piece or what. Thank your for your responses.

BlackCat

Reaction score
If all you broke were the snap clips, you can get those at the dealer for a couple bucks apiece. If you broke more than that, kinda hard to really tell you what your best options would be without seeing the actual damage.... photos would help.

Oh, and by the way, Welcome to XRU !!!

PiNkY

Reaction score
Like BlackCat said - if you can snag some pics we could further help assess the damage.

lol don't zip tie it if you can help it - i suppose that will work if you have no other choice.

CBRBob

Reaction score
There are ways to zip tie them from the back without damaging them any further.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
it was also suggested in another thread to use 3M exterior tape where the skirt meets the bumper, my drivers side broke last week also, I will post pics to show the broken tabs on the top as I have a coulpe of q's as well.

They can be bought for $50 but I assume it would have to be repainted:

Jwall

Reaction score
lol zip ties are like duct tape around here :laugh: just go to the dealership and have them get you new clips. i feel your pain i have a slight crack on the underside of my rear kit, cant see it but i know its there and hope it doesnt get worse.

it was also suggested in another thread to use 3M exterior tape where the skirt meets the bumper, my drivers side broke last week also, I will post pics to show the broken tabs on the top as I have a coulpe of q's as well.

They can be bought for $50 but I assume it would have to be repainted:

each rear bumper body kit piece is only $50? thats not bad at all even if you need to paint it, considering a fender flare is $700+

Last edited:

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score

bdr1979

Reaction score
This happened to me also.. I live in connecticut so i feel your pain with all this damn snow.. I used 3M tape but had to double it up to get it to work.. Mine is pretty damaged so i will be buying a new piece.. Time to move someplace warm :) Good luck with the repair..

Murderface

Reaction score
Don't be knocking the zip ties! IMO they hold the ground effects on much tighter then those shitty clips and there's no chance of the body kit falling off. When I first bought my truck I had to have the stealership fix a bunch of those clips and they couldn't even do it right. Over time those holes that thenclip snap into get worn out from vibrations and the clips will no longer fit tightly into the holes, that's where zip ties will fix that problem forever and costs u next to nothing.

Also who's gonna be under ur truck scoping out the zip ties? No one that's who, besides to see the zip ties on the side skirts u have to bust out a flashlight and stick ur head way up in there. I'm very happy with the results of my zip ties.

If the bracket that's part of the ground effects breaks u can get some permitex plastic epoxy from Pep Boys and fix it that way, I had to do that with the small piece that's before the rear wheel.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
knock of that zip tie garbage! I agree brotha, they may hold better.....but if your shit is right, then you shouldn't have that problem. Mine are only jacked up because I have damaged them. Those clips are designed to break underpressure to help protect the plastic itself (break away). Long as you don't bang em around, they last. Never had a problem until the body shop removed mine for paint.
I just purchased a full clip set (every clip set for the sides and rear groud effects; didn't need the front) and paid 90 sumthing with tax. Mine have been zip tied and help together with any means necessary ever since my truck was repainted by the getto body shop I took it to. Needless to say, the clips don't cost that much. Its better to fix it right.....not getto fab it. Just my .02

x20Runner05

Reaction score
Ditto, protect your investment and do it right. Not half ass. :top:

Clewis333

Reaction score
Don't be knocking the zip ties! IMO they hold the ground effects on much tighter then those shitty clips and there's no chance of the body kit falling off. When I first bought my truck I had to have the stealership fix a bunch of those clips and they couldn't even do it right. Over time those holes that thenclip snap into get worn out from vibrations and the clips will no longer fit tightly into the holes, that's where zip ties will fix that problem forever and costs u next to nothing.

Also who's gonna be under ur truck scoping out the zip ties? No one that's who, besides to see the zip ties on the side skirts u have to bust out a flashlight and stick ur head way up in there. I'm very happy with the results of my zip ties.

If the bracket that's part of the ground effects breaks u can get some permitex plastic epoxy from Pep Boys and fix it that way, I had to do that with the small piece that's before the rear wheel.

do you have pictures of how you used the zip ties? Thanks.

rat7761

Reaction score
DSC01034.jpg

I had to buy a new one. Tabs for the clips broke. New ground effect, color matched BSP, clips, plastic rivets, rubber trim...

Murderface

Reaction score
do you have pictures of how you used the zip ties? Thanks.

Here u go!
ffb7a109.jpg

6915381d.jpg

9e5fc9e1.jpg

This is pics of my passenger side sideskirt under the door, the long one. If u get under there and look u will see how it's possible to make the zip ties work.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
idk...i still think my use for zip ties, might take the cake, in terms of body repair...:rofl:

Houston X Runner

Reaction score
So do the zip ties hold up to the wind at highway speeds? I've seen other cars that have their aero pieces flapping in the wind and it looks terrible.

redarkx

Reaction score
I have about half of my kit zip tied on. Hold great an you can't even tell.

Cal Frez

Reaction score
why is finding body panel/ground effect clips so difficult??? you would think they would be common as dirt!!! what about you, Gadget? where do you get them??? (there's gotta be a website that has them).

Top Bottom