Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gtmoy's URD MKII install/build thread

ntinhri

Reaction score
Man, that's a lot of work, too many possibilities to go :thumpdown: That would be cool if URD had an installer to go around and install for you...but for a price I bet. It is nice to know G-man is always available.

Im sure if someone bought the ticket G-man would come help..

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score
OMG>>>>>>>>>> now that is something youll never use again.... Hey dont feel bad I know of another RR thats in the garage and needs a new engine too... he forgot to CHECK THE OIL>>

OH THATS LOW LOL :laugh::laugh: Zing!!

Super Werty

Reaction score
Wow that sucks massively

Im so glad Gadget helped me install mine....I dont think I wouldve screwed it up, but at least I had someone who had installed them before.

crazy.....

well I guess that explains why your dyno numbers were so low

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
OMG>>>>>>>>>> now that is something youll never use again.... Hey dont feel bad I know of another RR thats in the garage and needs a new engine too... he forgot to CHECK THE OIL>>

Your day is closer then you think....back to lab:biggrin:

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
your trucks NOT the only one in the garage, grasshopper... only difference is yours has to be there....lol

Its a show truck what can I say.....theyll be steering wheel spanking in Roanoke....and it wont be ina BSP....:top:

Now back on topic

And borther I feel your pain!!!

Tunedx

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your luck. I hope u get everything sorted out.:top:

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Man, sorry to hear about that. :thumpdown:

When you get your new stuff in feel free to hit me up, I'll be down to cruise out to your neck of the woods and provide some help and/or cold beverages, which ever is more beneficial. :top:

Venomous_X

Reaction score
this is utterly horrible to read....I feel for you brother, Ive made a booboo or two back in my garage days long ago as well.....:frown: Best of luck to you and hopefully you'll get her up and running soon.
Have you thought of parting out your old motor when the time is near? I may be interested in a certain part or two, if it will help you get a newer motor!

gtmoy

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer Jason, I may take you up on it. I read through the FSM today and it doesn't actually look too hard to swap out the engine.

Basically disconnect and move the trans back. Unbolt alt/ps/compressor, removed rad. Pull engine. If I were to do it myself it would probably take a few days.

They said the motor is supposed to be here next Tues/Wed. I'll probably try to start on it next weekend, weather permitting.

I've thought of parting out the old motor. Not sure how much interest there is. I would also hate to sell someone say the rods not knowing if they had some hidden stress fractures or something.

Edit: At least the cam gears will be easy to install this time. Heck I should drive down to APR and have them do it!...oh wait, no truck :stupido2:

Gadget

Reaction score
I am very sorry to hear about this. It really hurts.

Folks I have a very simple tip for you when you install these gears. Line up the timing marks on all the chains and you can't screw it up.

There is a short cut and that is to mark the link in the exhaust chain over the stock gear dot. Then put the new gear in with the dot under the same link. It can't be off that way.

The thing on this install that I never considered is that you could push the alingnment pin in with the face of the gear if it is not in the gear slot when you crank the bolt down. Never thought that could happen.

Installing these gears is serious stuff. It is not hard to do, but if you are going to do it, please do it right. When done right your truck will be more fun. When done wrong, you can ruin the whole engine.

Learn from this and I want to tank the OP for being a real true friend of us all and sharing this info to help other not to repeat his mistakes.

Gadget

dwntwnall4u

Reaction score
Like Gadget mentioned to mark the chain where the stock cam dot is I used a punch to mark it so for sure I would know later, because if you use a pen it may rub off.

5000XD

Reaction score
WOW dude, this really really sucks to hear and you had so much work done to your truck before this install. I feel really bad for you man. I hope you can get her fixed up.

I personally still need to install these gears. I will take 10 million pictures and post em up for future reference because this is really crazy there aren't really clear pictures of what exactly needs to be done (not to talk on urd or apr, these guys are great).

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
The best way to do it is to time the engine the proper way rather then relying on painted chain links.

Turn this engine over by hand slowly prior to starting, turn it over several times to make sure everything lines up correctly.

Take it to a qualified professional capable of doing the install if you can not.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ileaf/06toyrm/06toypdf/06rmsrc/rm2006ta/00700310.pdf

That sucks dude, sorry that it happened to you - your cylinder heads are probably ok, re-cut the seats, get new valves, keep them!

5000XD

Reaction score
Sorry but thought to throw this in here.

Where exactly do you need the tooth to be? is this on the red line? If so it needs to sit in line with the arrow on the bearing cap (between E and 1).

cam_middle arrow.jpg

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Oke. I already found the ones on the crankshaft pulley! I will go from there when I have everything opened up. Thanks for the pdf :top:

Take note that the timing marks on the VVTI mechanisms on bank 1 and bank 2 are different.

Again if your not sure take it to someone who is!

Top Bottom