has anyone tried these oil coolers?

Discussion in 'F/I Mods & Tuning' started by butters607, Mar 11, 2011.

1. butters607

butters607 Active Member

2. Gators Taco

Gators Taco <a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho

Why do you need a cooler ? Are you towing a trailer all the time. If you run synthectic oil you shoud have no reason for one.

3. 1GRracer

1GRracer "Pete"

For a oil cooler I would go OEM. Its design is wonderful, when you start it up the coolant helps warm it up and once its gets up to the right operating temp it helps keep it cool.

4. butters607

butters607 Active Member

110 degrees outside and im gonna have boost would that be good enough reason to have on or? Also, the air is extremely thin here in el paso because of our elevation!

#4 butters607, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  5. CBRBob

CBRBob Active Member

These are trans coolers guys.
    Also you would need to run a pump to move the fluid, unlike an auto trans where the trans has a pump.

6. darthyota

darthyota Active Member

i think he wants to use it for engine oil not for his trans in which case he would also need a samich plate too

7. blackx-runner

blackx-runner "White Flash"

That was my guess.
    I prefer the OEM oil cooler, but it is expensive unless you find a killer deal like I did.

8. darthyota

darthyota Active Member

and i would go with the greddy samich plate with a cooler like that and an accusump plus the new coupe oil pan mod

9. BlackXrunner05

BlackXrunner05 Active Member

Sorry not to thread jack,but I was thinking about an Oil Cooler too . Where can you find the OEM ones ?and what all is needed?

10. Gators Taco

The dealer should have it.

11. darthyota

darthyota Active Member

for the low low low price of an arm and a leg

12. butters607

butters607 Active Member

actually scrap this thread it is not a good idea reason being it's not thermostatically comtrolled

13. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually I prefer the aftermarket oil cooler far more than the OEM one. The OEM one does work, within the limits of its design, but when you are boosting for periods of time what happens. You water temp raises. It will stay there for a while as well. So then it will still be "cooling" but at a much higher temp. At that point, it really isn't cooling down the oil to much. Being in such a hot climate area, coupled with boost, I firmly believe that the OEM isn't up to the job.

Add to that, when you see performance built cars that are sustaining high rpm for extended periods of time. (Yes on the extreme end) they use oil coolers. Even high horse power cars. Friction creates heat. Heat + heat creates more heat. Not cooler.

You should either do what XrunnerElite did, or do your own cooler setup. He pieced his together from Jegs I think, for about $150ish. Works better, and a fraction the cost of the OEM one.

Mine is a Series 6 13 row. Should be plenty for me. This one advertised is the 25 row.

Here is a link for brackets: http://www.frsport.com/index.php?target=products&mode=searchImproved&q=setrab&x=0&y=0

Here is their home site: http://www.setrabusa.com/oilcoolers.html

14. blackx-runner

blackx-runner "White Flash"

You'll probably have to piece together your own setup to get a thermostatically controlled sandwich plate. But its not hard. :top:

15. Gators Taco

If you took the setup with the fan system, you could install a thermo switch that would activate the fan as needed.

16. butters607

butters607 Active Member

17. darthyota

darthyota Active Member

to me all that looks like is a remote oil filter with a relay bolted to it

18. butters607

butters607 Active Member

right wouldnt that regulate how the oil cooler would push the oil through at 150 degrees or am i missing somthing?

19. darthyota

darthyota Active Member

nope it wouldnt do anything all its going to do because its a dual in dual out meaning you can have a hose go into the filter come out and go else where then come back to the filter and then back out to the motor but i dont see how they would control that

20. butters607

butters607 Active Member