Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Help with rims choices

JiNsEiGaNaI

Reaction score
I am trying to decide what kind of rims I want. The whole thing with my truck is to have BOTH style yet performance/function. So my question is, I been thinking about 19s or 20s, I can get the 20s more flush and wider which would equal more traction but my concern and question is if I was on a track or course with alot of TIGHT turns, would wider rims slow you down??? I mean over all the entire diameter would be the same cause I would adjust with a smaller series tire, so most just focusing on width. Thanks appreciate it

AbunaiXR

Reaction score
I hate to be a slight downer, but why track worthy if theres no track here on oahu? Im no expert in the performance of rim/tire sizes, but i would assume more tire will get you better traction/performance. I would personally go with 19's because youll normally run a 40 series tire instead of the 35 like on a 20 in rim. The slight increase in tire height will cushion bumps on course and pot holes for daily driving. Just my novice $.02 on my understanding of the situation. I hear running 20's in hawaii sucks.

JiNsEiGaNaI

Reaction score
Thanks abunai, I understand we dont have a track, but I like go to have some fun every once in a while at 13 turns n stuff, and wanna dont lose performance of the Xrunner!I mean that why I and I think most of us buy it! Definatly appreciate your input and I know 35 series is small but I dont daily drive it, so not too bad, and with 35 series, I know you would have less sidewall flex but, I was wondering if its a wider like a 20x11 or so in turns im assuming it would take longer or harder to make tight turns then a 19x9.5 would, I just mostly concerned with that

Thanks Hrspwr236, thats what I wanted to hear, I want it to be nice but NOT a all show and NO GO,

Last edited:

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
IMO stick with 18's.

While I like 19's the tire selection is slim and very pricey! More and more cars are coming stock with 19's so it is driving the price down slightly but selection is still poop.

I am not a fan of 20's purely because of the rubber band tires that are needed to keep within stock specs for the odometer...

as far as cornering goes you will slightly loose performance with a wider tire but gain footprint and traction so really its a wash..

all this said I am biased with my works...

IMG_8137_zpsd30e83bb.jpg

Last edited:

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
No sir, 18x10.5 et.23 with Nitto 555 285/40/18 tires on all 4 corners:top:

For me in with a sport truck the meaty tire does it for me:drool:

Phil Dammit

Reaction score
IMO stick with 18's.

While I like 19's the tire selection is slim and very pricey! More and more cars are coming stock with 19's so it is driving the price down slightly but selection is still poop.

I am not a fan of 20's purely because of the rubber band tires that are needed to keep within stock specs for the odometer...

as far as cornering goes you will slightly loose performance with a wider tire but gain footprint and traction so really its a wash..

all this said I am biased with my works...

IMG_8137_zpsd30e83bb.jpg
This
Go 18, better performance if that is what you are after
Here is some testing results
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

and this because

1479470_10201804832256525_1689482094_n.jpg

THis

hrspwr236

Reaction score
I like my 19 s and yes the tires are pricier but you are getting quality tires as manufacturers drive that since 19 s are more standard especially on high end cars, I have 245/45/19 and they are almost stock size just a little skinnier. The skinnier the tire the easier is to get the assignment end sliding and the wider the tire the better grip and traction you will have. Better traction means you have a chance at better times but less fun!

Top Bottom