HID issues...

Discussion in 'Exterior Modifications' started by Scottiekoby, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Scottiekoby

Scottiekoby New Member

running Hids in the headlights and fogs now, but seems like the ballast are sucking up so much power. When i turn on the fogs and then off, the heads lights need a couple flicks and seconds to turn on. Anyone else have hid ballast issues?

2. FireB

FireB Member

Did you get a relay harness kit that powers the HID straight from the Battery?
    If not, highly recommend you to do that. :)

3. metalpeddler88

metalpeddler88 New Member

+1 on the relay. :top:
    Which HID's are you running?

4. Whitebeauty

Whitebeauty New Member

You need to have a relay harness for your headlights... Also what headlights are you running?

5. Scottiekoby

Scottiekoby New Member

THANKS! ddm 8000k hids

6. Whitebeauty

Whitebeauty New Member

Ok better said headlight housing....?

7. TRSAndrew

TRSAndrew New Member

Your factory wiring wasn't designed for HIDs, so you'll need to add in a relay harness to ensure the wiring is sufficient for the ballasts.

Also, projectors are best to maximize performance and minimize glare for others.

8. Scottiekoby

Scottiekoby New Member

Just installed my relay harness from ddm and still encountering some minor problems. I'm going to check the grounding again, but there is still time where both ballast turn on at the same time. I have swapped out ballast and this encountering the same problem.

Any ideas? power is going to both ballast, so only thing i can think of is the ground.

9. giox

giox Member

i had to get the warning cancelars.. something like that

10. Scottiekoby

Scottiekoby New Member

what about fully digital ballast? they seem to draw less amps on start up? the ddm ballast. Anyone have problems with those on the stock wire harness?

11. Whitebeauty

Whitebeauty New Member

The best ground would be where the rest of the grounds are next to the headlights on the sidewalls of the engine compartment

12. justin13703

justin13703 Active Member

I had a set of ddm hids on the headlights and the foglights on my truck for almost 4 years with no problems with either set. I had the relay harness for my headlights but not my foglights. They were also the slim digital ones. I would definitely check your grounds. Make sure they are good and to bare metal, not on top of paint.

13. metalpeddler88

metalpeddler88 New Member

Random thought. In addition to the relay, what if you got a cheap capacitor to add near the battery? I mean, it's for sound systems, but should supply power quicker when the battery bogs down. I'm sure wally world has cheap ones. Or invest into better quality battery?

Another thought, check for corrosion on the battery. Make sure it's a clean connection. Electrics do some weird things when they don't get the full juice they need. :top:

14. TRSAndrew

TRSAndrew New Member

Interestingly enough, no Toyota has a bulb out error, so no warning cancellers are needed.

15. Scottiekoby

Scottiekoby New Member

Thanks, it seemed to be the grounding of my wires. works for now!

16. Gators Taco

Gators Taco <a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho

HID light are going to be out lawed for road use.

17. Slywhitty

Slywhitty "Midget Magnet"

So what about the cars that come with them from the factory??

18. justin13703

justin13703 Active Member

They technically already are for cars that didn't come with them from the factory but they just don't really enforce it. Personally I don't think anything is going to change and I'm gonna keep running hid's in pretty much every car I own. They've saved me from deer on more than a couple occasions.

19. Slywhitty

Slywhitty "Midget Magnet"

I concur! Lol

20. hrspwr236

hrspwr236 Active Member

That won't enforce it merely on the fact that it does save lives because drivers can see farther and prevent possible collisions with people, wildlife and oncoming cars. I would be surprised if they don't make manufactures require HIDS in cars just as they are now require by 2018 for all cars to have standard rear camera. Safety features are a must and this is one of them, now the color temperature is another argument and cab support that, no one should go pass 6k becuase even at that point light output is not increased! There is a reason I run 3k FOGLIGHTS