how many of you has hydroplaned on the freeway

Discussion in 'Stabalizers & Traction Bars' started by TEK-X, Dec 19, 2010.

1. TEK-X

TEK-X New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's the second time but only crashed once. Ended up on the center divider.

#1 TEK-X, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. SooRunner

SooRunner New Member

I don't know about hydroplaning but I spun out on a Miata on a rainy day before....I learned that it is easier to spin out on a rear wheel drive car on a wet day.

Gotta be careful...there are no weight in the rear so it slides real easy...put sandbags in the back to get better traction...maybe that is why Toyota put a tow hitch in the rear for weight purpose? They didn't include the harness but they sure did on a 4x4 tacoma.

You might want to check your exhaust system all the way up to the headers and your alignment...it might be off...GOOD LUCK!

On rainy days, I drive slower than I usually. For those who don't check their tires and notice there are no tread left...it is like driving with slicks on a rainy day = hydroplane or spinout!

3. 1GRracer

1GRracer "Pete"

Sorry to see what happened bro, that sucks:frown:, always a bummer to see a wreck Toyota truck. I do enjoy when it rains as I go to some empty lots that I know and practice drifting. I learned that if you drift, power slide or whatever its easier on the tires as they aren't in as much contact with the road so they don't wear as much as they would on a dry day. It's also a good chance to learn weight shifting too. But when I'm driving in traffic I'm very careful and I'm also aware that other drivers suck in ANY weather conditions so it pays to be defensive.

4. braves011

braves011 "Crouching Tiger"

never hydroplaned on the interstate. your tires are likely the problem, the stock Bridgestone's have horrible wet traction.

#4 braves011, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  5. TEK-X

TEK-X New Member

yup, i still have the stock tires, only got a little over 20,000 miles on the truck

6. burnboy

burnboy New Member

The stock tires are not bfg. They are brigestone re050. I suggest bf goodridge kdw tires. I've done 172 mph up the hardy toll road in houston in a straight down pour. Never skipped a beat. Bfg ftw! And sorry bout the truck

7. azburnin

azburnin Active Member

Yes, once i was getting onto the 64 from greenbrier and it was coming down hard. I think i was going about 40 or so, came into the far right lane merging in and turned a little sideways. Luckily the morning rush wasn't on my ass or i would of been a tbone steak. That was on stock tires with about 400 mi on them. Yes no weight back there can be bad, well as you know.

8. livinginsa

livinginsa New Member

Hate to see your truck like that, sucks.

On my first truck, I was going to see my mother-in-law in Ohio so I bought some Dick Cepek minitruckers tires. They had big aggressive treads. First it didn't snow in Ohio on my trip up there so that was a waste of money. Secondly, the tires were terrible on the street. Evertime it rained, I had to slow down to a crawl to go around corners. gl.

9. Sproulesxrunner

Sproulesxrunner Active Member

Did you do 172 mph in the X???? You got some guts to do a high speed run in the rain...:rock:

10. KETCHUP

KETCHUP Active Member

damn brotha, that sucks! When did this happen?

Yea, those stock tires suck! Time for some with better grip in wet conditions. I do feel with the suspension I have that the truck has a little better traction.... I did wreck my first Toyota (94) on an over pass, but it was black ice. Also wrecked Ketchup in Feb on black ice with those crappy tires I had that were bald.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope u get her fixed soon!!

11. hiflyer

hiflyer Active Member

yeah,stock bridgestones are a serious hazard in the rain

KDW's rock tho!

12. ntinhri

ntinhri Active Member

KDW's x2 are te best.. I love mine. Ive never hydroplaned, but my trucks been sideways plenty. Id say from what Ive seen if you dont respect your truck, its not going to respect you...

13. Murderface

Murderface New Member

Ya I seriously doubt the OP did 172 mph in the X, has to be a different car that he did that in.

14. burnboy

burnboy New Member

Yes, the 172 was in my vw. In 6th gear bouncing off the rev limit measured with gps it was geared out at 172. It was an 03' anniversary gti with factory 6 speed gearbox. Funny thing is, I come to the tacoma world and I see "apr". Allen phillips racing. In the vw audi porsche world "apr" is audi performance racing, lol. I've been hot rodding vw's and audis for a decade now. But I've had enough of the vag world. Now its just my career. I needed a truck to carry the bike to track days and such. My vw 1.8 turbo was a blueprinted balanced bottom end with an "apr" stage 3 plus turbo upgrade with a gt2871 ballbearing turbo. Front mount bar and plate intercooler. 3" turbo back with no cat. Made 346 wheel on 93 pump gas. It also had software for 100 and 104 octane sunoco race fuels. Never dyno'd on race gas but was wicked fast. It would hang on the highway with a lambo till I geared out. 22 psi all day long driven daily sold with 154000 miles on it, lol. Yesterday my x dyno'd at 221 horse 256. Torque. Sorry for the thread jack

15. ultraxr

ultraxr New Member

I hydro'd on the over pass from 264 to the 64 in the HOV lanes and did a complete 360 spin in my '97 240sx. Luckily, i somehow managed not to hit either one of the walls.

16. earnesje

earnesje New Member

I have never hydroplaned on any road before. I usually drive will caution in rain or snow ice conditions. Now I have slid on ice before in my regular cab tacoma into a wall. I should probably keep an eye on those stock tires.

17. black boost

black boost New Member

Black Ice sucks

Attached Files:

18. Baggins44

Baggins44 Active Member

I had it happen the other day getting on the freeway, luckily no one was around me and I was able to stop before I hit the wall

19. TEK-X

TEK-X New Member

Just happened last night.

20. BSP06XRU

BSP06XRU Old Member

Sorry to hear about the truck. I hope you're OK.