Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How To: Lightsource HID Reverse

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a how-to for installing the Lightsource HID Reverse kit into NON-LED tacoma tail lights.

Here's what comes with the kit.
photo_7.JPG

Remove the tail lights
Top bolt
photo_22.JPG

Bottom bolt
photo_11.JPG

Pull straight back on the housing to pop these two pins out. Be sure not to pull towards that fender to avoid damaging it.
photo_4.JPG

photo_32.JPG

Disconnect the wiring harness
photo_20.JPG

Install bulbs in housing
Remove reverse bulb
photo_54.JPG

This is the reverse bulb socket
photo_6.JPG

This is the Lightsource harness and the OEM reverse bulb
photo_8.JPG

Insert harness into reverse bulb socket. Be sure the contacts make good connection within the socket.
photo_9.JPG

This is the bulb (DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS!!)
photo_10.JPG

Slide the bulb out of the rubber boot
photo_111.JPG

Carefully insert the bulb into the housing. Try not to make contact.
photo_12.JPG

Stuff the boot into the housing.
photo_13.JPG

Gently pull the wires to slide the bulb back into the rubber boot.
photo_14.JPG

Final product, bulb installed.
photo_15.JPG

Mount the ballast
Apply adhesive, or hook and loop fastener to the ballast
photo_16.JPG

Mount ballast to inner fender.
photo_17.JPG

Make final connections
Connect ballast to reverse harness
photo_18.JPG

Connect ballast to bulb
photo_19.JPG

All that's left is to re-install the housing in reverse of the steps above.

Here's what they look like in OEM housings.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

nick_gz1

Reaction score
dang, those things look brighter than some headlights! Looks like its pretty useful in your driveway though.

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Nice write up, looks straight forward and easy to do, any significant differences with factory led tail lights?

PiNkY

Reaction score
Just makin sure but these will melt the housing if left on for to long, correct?

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice write up, looks straight forward and easy to do, any significant differences with factory led tail lights?

Personally I don't know what the back side of the 09+ tails look like. As long as they have a 921 reverse bulb you shouldn't have a problem.

Just makin sure but these will melt the housing if left on for to long, correct?

I've left mine on while loading my boat on the trailer at the lake, so maybe 3 or 4 minutes. I haven't had any issues.

they dont take time to light up like most Hids?

They do but the brightness of them cold is still as bright if not brighter than an OEM bulb. :top:

Whitebeauty

Reaction score

Lets not get the wrong idea here.. it's not a torch it would take a lot of time if that to even happen... It looks like one but it's not...lol

Workman3886

Reaction score
I know this is completely off topic, but one thing that really burns my butt is when people drive behind me with their brights on. So my question is about the switch that activates the reverse lights, is there a possible way to bypass that switch with a straight lead to power them while driving forward (manual switch in the dash?)...

Just a thought, it would be like sweet revenge for those punks

BradyT88

Reaction score
I know this is completely off topic, but one thing that really burns my butt is when people drive behind me with their brights on. So my question is about the switch that activates the reverse lights, is there a possible way to bypass that switch with a straight lead to power them while driving forward (manual switch in the dash?)...

I was just wondering how feasible this same idea might be! haha:blurock:

Reaction score

If there's a will, there's a way. I would guess all you need would be a three position switch and the schematic diagram of the circuit.

justin13703

Reaction score

I was thinking about this too. A switch and a relay would work fine

Top Bottom