Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Intake Manifold....WOW what a diff.

XRnRElite77

Reaction score
Ok so i recently purchased a donor motor and broke it down, after taking the intake manifold and the part that attaches to the motor which the injectors go into, i relaized that this motor had like 22k miles on it and the manifold was really really dirty. Wondered what mine looked like.

So today i took the motor apart and all i have to say is HOLY BUILD UP BATMAN!! I have talked to alot of mechanics and they all said that ALL cars will have some oil buildup (or splashup as they kept refering to which is when gas and air under WOT mix with blowby and kind burn on to the intake ports. So after about 4 hrs of cleaning and polishing and grinding.

Break down and Before pics:
IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

Intake manifold ports:
IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

The finished product:

the two side by side, i used the other one off the other motor cuase i ported and polished and cleaned it on wed.
IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

Reinstalled in the TRUCK:
IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

I replaced the gaskets aswell. Oh and once i cleaned it and polished the ports and smoothed out the ridges, i can tell you that the accel and throttle response has improved, aswell AS AIR TEMP has go WAY DOWN. almost 6 degrees. I was running about 85 last night before the cleanning and 74 after but it was 3 hrs later so some of that is due to cooling outside but outside temp was 86 so.

Everyone should do this if you havent already i know their are some ways to clean the ports without removing everything but this is a straight forward method, and i think it looks AMAZING.

couple notes:
1. When you remove the port side make sure you have a vacume ready, i had about a 1 inch pile of dirt sitting right next to the gasket. lol :ahhhhh:.
2. DONT SPRAY CLEANER IN THE PORTS ON THE HEADS. you can use a lint free towel and put some cleaner on it and wipe them out but dont be dumb.
3. be very careful when you are moving the fuel rail so that none of the bushings that go into the intake manifold fall into the heads :ahhhhh:becase that would suck lol.

Hope you enjoy and any questions please ask :top:

rich017

Reaction score
I did this about a year ago minus the port & Polish

What did you use to polish?

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
that looks really good...nice job bro and congrats...:top:

I would like to see dyno #'s just to see the difference of before/after...

braves011

"Crouching Tiger"
Reaction score
how did you go about the port and polish? what cleaner did you use? I think you should do a complete write up on this :biggrin:

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I don't know how air temp would change at all? The air temp sensor is all with the MAF IIRC.
Either way I am sure it smoothed everything out and the performance is better. Good job, and you gave me another mod idea.
Like you I also have a spare parts engine laying around.:biggrin: Just need to find the time to do the work.

Amarillo X

Reaction score
I'm the only tech at our shop that really takes the time to clean up the carbon build up when doing an intake job. And any ridge or excess casting u can get rid of is just smoother amounts of air that you'll be inhaling so I see this as a productive mod. Good job bro!:top:

XRnRElite77

Reaction score
thanks nightrider :top:

I did this about a year ago minus the port & Polish

What did you use to polish?

I used an aluminum wadding polish that a buddy of mine uses at the a/c factory he works at dont really know the name he gave it to me in a rubbermaid container lol. good shitz thou.

that looks really good...nice job bro and congrats...:top:

I would like to see dyno #'s just to see the difference of before/after...

thanks, prolly not much more so for the smoothness of air flow and for accel.

how did you go about the port and polish? what cleaner did you use? I think you should do a complete write up on this :biggrin:

Port really isnt a good word to be honest cause i didnt change the size of the inlet just got rid of the slight ridge on the intake side. I will do a write up when i get a chance to do the one i pulled off, didnt take pics of the port/polish process. I used a dremel with a metal grinding attachment then used the polish attachement and 25 pads lol.

I'm the only tech at our shop that really takes the time to clean up the carbon build up when doing an intake job. And any ridge or excess casting u can get rid of is just smoother amounts of air that you'll be inhaling so I see this as a productive mod. Good job bro!:top:

Yeah it was pretty bad and it was really sticky so i can imagine that air would not flow well and dirt was stuck in the sludge and i feel its something that everyone should do to maximize the flow. thanks bro

oh and i honestly dont think that this made the temps drop but the truck felt alot more responsive and the temps were prolly from the wind and such.

XRnRElite77

Reaction score
oh and forgot to mention total time took about 7 hours with polishing taking the longest. Im going to get a custom intake manifold made by eric (TTC) in the upcoming months, cus the plastic is no bueno to me.

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
I'm gonna try this before I go back to school next semester. Is there anything else besides the intake manifold and the fuel rail I should look out for? I'm also gonna put on a oil catch can at the same time, any recommendations?

ntinhri

Reaction score
I need a few stock parts from your donor motor....

Super Werty

Reaction score
Looks good dude! Ive been wanting to do this for awhile. I want to paint mine to match my cam covers

what gaskets did you replace? pictures?

Last edited:

Eraser

Reaction score
The piece you polished, it looks like in the pictures that it splits apart. Does anyone know this to be true? I would go out and do this myself but I cant until I return home.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
How much would you charge to port and polish one of my donor motor? Ill pay!!

XRnRElite77

Reaction score
I'm gonna try this before I go back to school next semester. Is there anything else besides the intake manifold and the fuel rail I should look out for? I'm also gonna put on a oil catch can at the same time, any recommendations?
I use the TTC Catch can and its a great additon.

I need a few stock parts from your donor motor....
I sold that motor about 5 months ago, sorry bro.

Looks good dude! Ive been wanting to do this for awhile. I want to paint mine to match my cam covers

what gaskets did you replace? pictures?
there are gaskets similar to exhaust mani gaskets between the plenium and intake ports. dont have pics :thumpdown:
The piece you polished, it looks like in the pictures that it splits apart. Does anyone know this to be true? I would go out and do this myself but I cant until I return home.
the plenium will come apart but its a locking screw type and i didnt want to mess with it lol.

How much would you charge to port and polish one of my donor motor? Ill pay!!

let me see if i can get some of the polish cause i used all of it on mine and a buddy's then i will get back to k.

Last edited:

SooRunner

Reaction score
Must drive like a new car again...:top:

Now you make me not wanna take a look in my intake manifold...:biggrin: I wonder if seafoam will clean some of it out.

Nice work! When you take care of your car, it will take care of you! :adore:

Emanon

Reaction score
This thread makes me want to take off the mani to clean and paint black to match the valve covers and TB.

Xtacy

Reaction score
What's the difficulty level on this? I know you said you spent 7 hours including polishing which seems time consuming.

Top Bottom